Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Sport and it has the compact spare. When I had my Elantra they just had the can of sealant and the compressor, which left me a lot of room to carry tools and keep them well hidden from any burglar who might break in, plus it gave me more trunk room.

With my Sport I am thinking about removing the spare tire and popping in a repair kit and then using the rest of the room for storage space. (the wheel well area is huge!) So I'm wondering do any of the other models not come standard with the compact spare?

(sorry about the title, cannot be edited)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The hybrid doesn't come with one naturally. But I don't think it would benefit you since that space is taken up by the battery

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
<< But I don't think it would benefit you since that space is taken up by the battery >> Not when it's 11 PM and you are 80 miles from home. I bought a donut / tools for my hybrid, it sits way back in the trunk. I drive all over the place. Don't need to get stuck on some lonely road in the middle of the night.

It's strange to hear the 2018 model comes with a spare. A number of News Shows a number of years ago went to shopping areas asking people if their cars have spare tires. The owners were surprised to see there is no spare in the trunk. I did a whole investigation when my HSH had no spare tire even listed that could be bought. Finally found out it was not listed because they moved the batteries to the trunk, that's all. A standard Sonata donut would fit fine. Even my dealer helped by ordering one just to try. They could not get a straight answer as to no number for a 2016 + HSH spare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Need a spare

My 2013 Elantra did not have a spare and I had not needed a spare for a long time so I didn’t worry about it. Then one day three of my coworkers and I were going to a meeting and another driver forced me to move to the right and I hit a deep pothole and it put a small slice in my right front tire sidewall. No amount of slime or an air pump was going to fix that. That is when I decided to buy a spare. I did a lot of traveling to construction sites and decided that I did not want to be without a spare. Slime and a pump is good for a slow leak, but nothing more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
<< But I don't think it would benefit you since that space is taken up by the battery >> Not when it's 11 PM and you are 80 miles from home. I bought a donut / tools for my hybrid, it sits way back in the trunk. I drive all over the place. Don't need to get stuck on some lonely road in the middle of the night.

It's strange to hear the 2018 model comes with a spare. A number of News Shows a number of years ago went to shopping areas asking people if their cars have spare tires. The owners were surprised to see there is no spare in the trunk. I did a whole investigation when my HSH had no spare tire even listed that could be bought. Finally found out it was not listed because they moved the batteries to the trunk, that's all. A standard Sonata donut would fit fine. Even my dealer helped by ordering one just to try. They could not get a straight answer as to no number for a 2016 + HSH spare.
I meant for his storage needs...did you read his post? He doesn't want the spare, he just wants "spare storage" and I'm okay with my fix a flat kit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have just bought a brand new 2018 Hyundai i20 SE GO. that came with a space saver spare. We have also bought a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. First registered August 2017 and that did not have a spare although it had a hole for a spare taken up with a useless molded polystyrene "storage" thing. That came out and went straight in the bin and I bought a suitable space saver tyre and jack to go in the hole. The Tucson did have squirty junk but it really is junk. It will not seal anything other than a small leak and I am told that if I use it it will also ruin the alloy wheels which are quite pretty on my Tucson and probably would cost an arm and a leg to replace.

The daftest thing you can do is ditch the spare if you have one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Conversely, we got a full fifth alloy wheel/tyre. Only used it briefly once till I had a flat repaired. A compact spare would have been fine tbh, saving space and weight, but I guess Hyundai thought it a pot sweetener in the relaunched local effort a couple years ago, maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts