Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying 2007 Sonata, well maintained, 47,000km. How can I tell if it has a peeling paint issue - with a quick visual inspection, I saw no problems. I live in Canada, so cold, salty winters, and I want to keep the car at least 6 years but I read that the older Sonatas may not have been properly undercoated.
Thanks, Debbie

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a peeling paint issue... Paint flew right off while I was rinsing with a hose.. Never had that happen on any car before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The quality of paint that Hyundai uses on their cars are phenomenal. I have a professional detailer as a friend and as he was performing a clay bar on my vehicle, he compared the paint quality to his 2013 BMW 328i and informed me that the paint quality on the Hyundai is far better than the quality on the BMW.

Hopefully this adds some assurance.

Kevin

·
Registered
444 Posts
Its gotten even worse since this picture was taken.. Hyundai paint atleast back then was garbage..

·
Registered
55 Posts
1. did you buy it new?
2. what do you use for soap when you wash your Sonata?
Yes and a well maintained (mechanically) but moderately maintained cosmetic used one.

The paint quality of the '09 definitely seems better than the '07.

I used to clean the cars myself manually but now switched over to touch-less for the convenience.

I wash the cars once a week.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Got mine new, and I detailed it since day one.. In the winter when it's to cold to wash by hand I only take it to touchless car washes, I only use meguiars products, when I do a full detail (maybe once a year) I do it in the following order all by hand

Wash and dry twice including wheels, wheel wells, and door jams
Clay
Compound
Polish
and finally Carnauba Wax

This photo was taken this past summer at about 74k miles

About 80k miles the pain flew right off where the trunk key hole is

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thinking of buying 2007 Sonata, well maintained, 47,000km. How can I tell if it has a peeling paint issue - with a quick visual inspection, I saw no problems. I live in Canada, so cold, salty winters, and I want to keep the car at least 6 years but I read that the older Sonatas may not have been properly undercoated.
Thanks, Debbie
I have a powder white pearl 2007 Sonata. In 2011, the paint began bubbling and flaking off on the hood and rear of the trunk down to the primer. I have heard that these sonatas were painted at a factory different than cars with the other colors. It has been a great car except for this issue. Sine I paid extra for this color I feel kinda ripped off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't had peeling or bubbles but i am getting rock chips all over the front and hood. The best solution i have found is plastidip. Im going to two tone my sonota to half black half gold. If you dont want it flat they also sell plastidip glossifier that you spray on after the plastidip dries. It is removable peels off but yet very durable. No need for primer and a can cost 6 bucks and i did all 4 of my rims with one can. Will post later with how many cans it takes me for the entire top of car. Oh and can handle self wash from a car wash sprayer. And as with any paint product make sure you have a fresh clean surface before application. Does not damage factory paint and too be safe i would get a wax remover before applying to make sure you get a solid hold and even coating. Any other questions i didnt cover feel free to message me and will answer the best i can. Hope this helps

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.