Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
16 Mazda CX-5 GT. Korean CUV next?
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 21 Santa Fe Limited & Calligraphy trims do not include a donut spare, and some have noted there may well be room underneath the rear cargo area for one. I’m hoping someone who has one of these models figures out a DIY or dealer solution and posts instructions here. Since the SE & SEL trims include a donut spare, I’m hoping parts can just be ordered and installed by a dealer.

Unless the lack of a spare can be corrected, I will consider only alternatives that include a donut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
546 Posts
The 21 Santa Fe Limited & Calligraphy trims do not include a donut spare, and some have noted there may well be room underneath the rear cargo area for one. I’m hoping someone who has one of these models figures out a DIY or dealer solution and posts instructions here. Since the SE & SEL trims include a donut spare, I’m hoping parts can just be ordered and installed by a dealer.

Unless the lack of a spare can be corrected, I will consider only alternatives that include a donut.

Um ok.
No spare?

Not really sure about this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um ok.
No spare?

Not really sure about this.
Absolutely on all US models inspected to date. A number of posts confirming on these two threads:

And here’s a Monroney sticker on one in Denver:

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
382 Posts
I'm with you @paulzooms. I travel with kids and a spare tire is a must. I have a donut spare, but am looking to have it replaced with a full size (17" rims with Hancook tires). I saw a few pics online that showed a 17" rim with tire in the spare tire area. The problem with the limited/calligraphy trims not having a spare is : No way to raise/lower the spare. I would assume if they are NOT putting a spare tire, they are NOT putting the mechanism to raise/lower the tire.

Something to think about.

Here's the picture I referred to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That can of goop and a small air compressor instead of a tire is joke.
Hit pothole with these low profile tires and the tire is shot..... no amount of goop is going to fix it.
Most expensive model and NO SPARE is a no deal for me...... What is Hyundai thinking

·
Registered
590 Posts
That can of goop and a small air compressor instead of a tire is joke.
Hit pothole with these low profile tires and the tire is shot..... no amount of goop is going to fix it.
Most expensive model and NO SPARE is a no deal for me...... What is Hyundai thinking
Hyundai specs show no spare tire on SEL HEV, Limited HEV and Calligraphy.

There is room for one but you would have to buy the jack kit, wheel/tire and raising mechanism.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
..,There is room for one but you would have to buy the jack kit, wheel/tire and raising mechanism.
I’m hoping someone will do this and report back on part cost, difficulty if DIY or labor cost if dealer is used, donut rim & tire size, etc.

Verify that this can be addressed and inform as to particulars & $.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
one thing about awd cars and a donut spare. dunno about hyundai, but on my old subie, if a front tire has a flat, you have to switch the rear good tire to the front, put the donut on the rear, then disable the awd system(remove a fuse). also, there is a speed limit on the donut, and it will lower that end of the car. flat seal will probably kill the tpms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Runflats, they are not that expensive, they will get rid of the horrible Hankook tires and give you peace of mind about flats. Even flat, the only way you will know it is the warning from the TPMS. They really work. I think with the rear diff on AWD cars, it reduces the space available for a spare and AWD cars are not at all happy with having a substantially smaller diameter wheel on one corner. It plays havoc with the ABS, traction control and the torque sensing differentials due to the mini spare turning faster than the other 3 wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one thing about awd cars and a donut spare. dunno about hyundai, but on my old subie, if a front tire has a flat, you have to switch the rear good tire to the front, put the donut on the rear, then disable the awd system(remove a fuse). also, there is a speed limit on the donut, and it will lower that end of the car. flat seal will probably kill the tpms.
Agree on those issues. Still preferable to being stranded waiting for a tow or mobile service. Would prefer a full-sized spare, but not at the expense of ground clearance (assuming there is room)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Runflats, they are not that expensive, they will get rid of the horrible Hankook tires and give you peace of mind about flats. Even flat, the only way you will know it is the warning from the TPMS. They really work. I think with the rear diff on AWD cars, it reduces the space available for a spare and AWD cars are not at all happy with having a substantially smaller diameter wheel on one corner. It plays havoc with the ABS, traction control and the torque sensing differentials due to the mini spare turning faster than the other 3 wheels.
As I replied to your similar post in another thread:

“I’m not interested in run-flats. From what I understand:
  • Ride is harsher due to rigid sidewalls;
  • I don’t like the idea of replacing new tires, even OEM-quality ones; and,
  • Likelihood of requiring replacement following a flat is much higher. Given the need to keep tires the same size, this could be very expensive.
I wouldn’t buy a car that came with run-flats. Is expecting a spare an unreasonable requirement? “

FWIW, I’m looking for a solution, not to have my mind changed. @njerald indicated a solution was likely, so I’m hoping someone figures it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Limited (FWD) comes with a spare. The AWD does not. Living in Texas im sure my wife can do without the AWD. But it seems like more manufacturers are going the tire mobility kit route.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Limited (FWD) comes with a spare. The AWD does not. Living in Texas im sure my wife can do without the AWD. But it seems like more manufacturers are going the tire mobility kit route.
we live in north texas, and when i had subie, there were plenty of times i was glad to have awd. it only takes one time to make it all worthwhile. and, once in a while, it is fun. one time, we went to breakfast in the galant vr4(awd, lsd) and there was snow and ice. the breakfast place was closed, but the huge parking lot was empty. so we went drifting. all over the place. at first, my wife was yelling at me that i was crazy. after about a minute, she was laughing so hard, there were tears. at the end, she says, "that was really fun!!" another time, again, snow and ice, but different car. mazda 323gtx. this car had electronically controlled center locking diff. i engaged it, and was drifting all over the parking lot. this vw scirocco starts trying to follow me. his car was spinning out all over, and i was running circles around him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I replied to your similar post in another thread:

“I’m not interested in run-flats. From what I understand:
  • Ride is harsher due to rigid sidewalls;
  • I don’t like the idea of replacing new tires, even OEM-quality ones; and,
  • Likelihood of requiring replacement following a flat is much higher. Given the need to keep tires the same size, this could be very expensive.
I wouldn’t buy a car that came with run-flats. Is expecting a spare an unreasonable requirement? “

FWIW, I’m looking for a solution, not to have my mind changed. @njerald indicated a solution was likely, so I’m hoping someone figures it out.

I guess you are in a real quandary. Looks like you have two choices, buy a fwd model or carry your spare in the tailgate compartment. I don't think your sale is important enough to Hyundai to revamp the Santa Fe model line just to suit you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I guess you are in a real quandary. Looks like you have two choices, buy a fwd model or carry your spare in the tailgate compartment. I don't think your sale is important enough to Hyundai to revamp the Santa Fe model line just to suit you.
Choice 3: Buy Hyundai parts used for spares on lower trims and retrofit them on a higher trim. That is the topic of this thread, after all.

If you have anything to contribute along those lines, please do. Arguments why that isn’t necessary don’t help. Let’s just disagree and go our separate ways.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Choice 3: Buy Hyundai parts used for spares on lower trims and retrofit them on a higher trim. That is the topic of this thread, after all.

If you have anything to contribute along those lines, please do. Arguments why that isn’t necessary don’t help. Let’s just disagree and go our separate ways.

Knock yourself out. I was merely trying to suggest a work around but obviously you are completely closed minded to any solution except that Hyundai provide you with a spare tire because you are entitled to it. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
No spare on my 2017 Niro, just the inflater and aerosol.

Bought a tire and jack kit. It goes inside that vehicle.

Makes mileage look better and saves the manufacturer big bucks.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts