Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the SRSCM module since I read the code that it was B1620 - internal fault. It just popped up one day and heard from other sources that its a "common" problem. You will need a new SRSCM and the Hyundai GDS software/device. You can get the Hyundai GDS device and software on ebay or aliexpress for around $150. It is better than the $300 the dealer charged me to replace the module (including install and programming).

The alternative is to find a shop that has an autel 900 series that is capable of programming. Most shops have a lower version of autel or code readers that only reads codes (airbag codes) but doesn't program airbag modules. Some shops have this programmer, but won't program it due to liability. You can buy this module for close to $900 but it'll do many different types of cars. The Hyundai GDS would only do Hyundai and Kia. The kia and hyundai softwares are separate and may not be able to install into the same computer in case you own both types of cars.

To replace the module, you need to swap the module and then program the variant coding. The older gen elantras didn't require coding (so simple plug and play), but this one does. Some say that it is because it some cars may have different airbag systems (this module may be used on other models) so the programming tells it what system it has.

I bought the module new on Ebay. Sparksurplus had it for around 180, not bad compared to 350 online or 500 at the dealer. I do not believe you can use a used module from a junkyard or online since I don't think it can be programmed twice, according to the variant coding documentation in hemanual. I wouldn't really want to save 100 bucks by using a used airbag module (they often go for around $80 used).

The first thing to do is to get the software up and running. Install the software and connect the device to your computer. I would try to get the software working at home. My device came with a 120V power supply so i could power it up at home. Once I got the software working, i went into the car and connected to the odbii port. Try reading the status codes for the car first to make sure it works. Go to Diagnosis and check off airbag (event 1 or 2, doesn't matter) and try to read the information from there. You should see the error codes you found from other code readers.

The next step is to go to Vehicle S/W Management, and go to the same system (airbag, event 1). You'll see two options, System Identification and ACU Variant Coding. Go to system identification. You will need to get the ECU Coding Code. Mines was SD07. It is VIN specific. Write it down or do a screenshot. You can click the photo button on the top right to save a screenshot.

I've added a few screenshots to show the different GDS screens and how to access it.

Next is to replace the SRSCM.

The SRSCM is underneath the center console, under the AUX/USB/ storage box. To get to it, remove the trim on each side of the stereo, then remove the storage box. You can do it without removing the stereo and climate control, but you will need to remove the shifter knob. On an automatic, there is a collar below the shifter that you need to get off. I pulled on it to get a small gap, then stuck in a screwdriver and pried it loose. It left a small mark on it but it was the easiest way to remove it. Then remove the c-clip and remove the shifter knob. Disconnect the electrical connector for the gear shift indicator, but you don't need to disconnect for the connector for power port/aux/usb.

Then you need to remove the rear heating joint duct. Its a little hard to remove, but its all plastic. Remove the one screw and just yank it out. I moved the joint duct to the left and remove it from the left duct. Then I slowly pulled it out.

Hyundai Elantra: Removal - SRS Control Module (SRSCM). Repair procedures - SRSCM - Restraint - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2018 Service manual

Remove one screw and the two nuts in the back to remove the SRSCM. The left connector is hard to get to, but use a flat tip screw driver to undo the lock and rotate the lock. The right one is a little easier to get to.

Plug in the module and then go back to your computer to read the new codes for the airbag system. You should see now that the Variant Coding error comes up, which means that your new module works and there are no other errors with your airbag system. You don't want to put everything back together to realize that your new module doesn't work or something wasn't right.

At this point, you can do the coding. Go to the SW Management screen and go to ACU Variant Coding. Make sure not to connect to the internet so the option to manually input the variant code comes up. Start the coding process and put in your variant code. Then press program. It should take about 10-20 seconds. It will say finished and then go back to the main screen on the GDS software. Turn the car off and then back on and the airbag light should go off.

Connect everything back up and put back in the joint duct. Just squeeze it in there and pry to get it seated properly. Then put the center console back together. Put back in the shifter and you should be done. When putting back in the C-clip, be careful. I dropped it into the shifter. You will need some needle nose pliers to push the clip back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not. Just check ebay and see what you find. You can roll the dice with a used module, but remember you will need dealer software to program it properly either way. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts