Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to inquire if there are some tutorials available to replace driver side door handle for 2013 Elantra GL? The handle came off all of a sudden this morning and I wanted to know if it is something which could be done without a mechanic.

Also, the replacement part is not usually avaialble in the car colour which is blue pearl. Any ideas on what to do in this regard?

Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, replacing door handles is pretty easy. When you open the door, there is that black thing (photo attached) which you can just pry it open. Once you open it up, I think it requires a 5mm or 10mm. Can't quite remember but it really is just one screw. Unscrew that and go back to the door handle. The key hole should be pretty loose which you can just pull out. Then, you just grab the handle and slide it to the right and pull out. It will come out easily.

In regards to the colour, there are few options.

A. Go and get a spray that is matching your car color. But this may be never 100 percent accurate.

B. Buy four sets of door handles and at least match the colour between all four (whether you spray pain with a new color or wrap it)

C. (What I did) I wrapped all four door handles using a gloss black wrap to contrast the car color. Mt car color is matte grey.

Anyways, let me know if you have issues with installation or anything else

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi, replacing door handles is pretty easy. When you open the door, there is that black thing (photo attached) which you can just pry it open. Once you open it up, I think it requires a 5mm or 10mm. Can't quite remember but it really is just one screw. Unscrew that and go back to the door handle. The key hole should be pretty loose which you can just pull out. Then, you just grab the handle and slide it to the right and pull out. It will come out easily.

In regards to the colour, there are few options.

A. Go and get a spray that is matching your car color. But this may be never 100 percent accurate.

B. Buy four sets of door handles and at least match the colour between all four (whether you spray pain with a new color or wrap it)

C. (What I did) I wrapped all four door handles using a gloss black wrap to contrast the car color. Mt car color is matte grey.

Anyways, let me know if you have issues with installation or anything else
I tried prying that black cover off for another purpose - sumbitch wouldn't BUDGE. Didn't wish to scratch the he|| out of the paint in that location on the car or any other. Be easier to break into Fort Knox I reckon!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm.. I happen to have a plastic trim removal kit so it was pretty easy for me. I would suggest using a flat head and maybe wrap it around thin cloth and prying it.
I tried prying that black cover off for another purpose - sumbitch wouldn't BUDGE. Didn't wish to scratch the he|| out of the paint in that location on the car or any other. Be easier to break into Fort Knox I reckon!
Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your insights. I noticed the door handle screw was missing, which seems to explain why the exterior door handle and cylinder came off all of a sudden. Would you happen to know the part # or replacement screw size which I could use?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Thank you very much for your insights. I noticed the door handle screw was missing, which seems to explain why the exterior door handle and cylinder came off all of a sudden. Would you happen to know the part # or replacement screw size which I could use?
Visit dealer part dept counter. fella look it up for you, and order,, be there in couple day from region PDC

I want to say it is a 5 x .8 bolt,, but it will have either an 8mm hex head, or 10mm with flange,, and coated too... just have them get it for you... the original bolt may be laying inside the door shell too.... sound like somebody been in there in the past and drop it inside door..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts