Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Good having the official instructions from Hyundai.

Thought I would also include some instructions provided by another member for replacing the grill, which includes instructions on removing the front bumper, with some b&w pictures. Between the both of these, folks should have an easy go of it. :smile:

Personally, have removed mine a few times, and takes me about 10 minutes tops from getting the car on ramps to having the bumper on the ground.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-lwb-7-seater-models/164421-diy-front-bumper-removal.html

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Very simple DIY Imstricken....Bumper covers are not necessarily heavy, but can be rather "floppy". May I suggest a 2nd pair of hands?

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed they can be flappy, but they are VERY sturdy. i have never had anyone help me remove any bumper covers; and have never run into any problems.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly correct. I was speaking more to avoiding scratching nearby paint, during re installation.
certainly. i actually drape towels over the ended(flaps) to prevent the scratching you are thinking off. good point!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I put a clean piece of cardboard under the cover before removing it and painter's tape on the body sides near the tires. Remember that the bumper cover needs to be slide back "into" the retention clips just ahead of the tires.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, anyone else have issues with that radiator upper cover that is riveted on!? removing that was ridiculous. its actually riveted on!

removing the grille was pretty wild. many screws holding it on, and its pretty darn secured into the bumper. great for build-quality... horrible for the guy having to remove it LOL

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, I share your pain. It's not too bad though once you figure out you need to drill out those rivets to remove the top plastic cover. If you removed the inner bolts the whole assembly and bumper would come off together as this top cover is riveted to the brackets connecting the front grill.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, I share your pain. It's not too bad though once you figure out you need to drill out those rivets to remove the top plastic cover. If you removed the inner bolts the whole assembly and bumper would come off together as this top cover is riveted to the brackets connecting the front grill.
i'll tell ya, after messing around with just the front bumper/grille/dashboard.... that solidified my thinking of how high quality Hyundai really is.
compared to Nissan.... Hyundai is almost as overly engineered as a Mercedes BMW.

for the owner, thats great. thats getting your monies worth. but for the guy installing stuff.... boy is it a pain lol

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm having trouble getting mine off. I followed the steps in the PDF. Trying to pull the bumper off but it seems to be secure still. Are these tabs something that need to be pushed out to get the bumper off?

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Never mind, just needed to pull harder. I was worried I was going to break the bumper, lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
2013 Santa Fe Sport bumper and headlight removal with pics

HI
I just wanted to add to this thread for removing the bumper and headlights

step by step bumper and headlight removal.

Needs: 10mm, 12mm, phillips screw driver

1. Remove radiator shroud using 10mm and phillips screwdriver and remove all nuts and screws.
2. Removing the factory grille wasn't easy and was the most difficult part out of this. As mentioned by Stricken you have to drill out the rivets from the grille brackets. These rivets are annoying. I already removed the grille previously but see the PDF upload of how to remove the factory grille.
3. Remove the top headlight bolts using 10mm. Same steps with both head lights
4. Remove the final rear top bolts using 12mm. Repeat for other headlight.
5. (optional but recommended) Remove the screws on the headlight tabs with phillips screwdriver. Why because these can easily break if not handled properly. I've heard people breaking these tabs.
6. Unplug all your lights in your headlights.
7. Remove the small 8mm bolt/screw in the front wheel well where it meets the front quarter panel. I used a 8mm rather then a phillips screwdriver. Repeat the other side of the front wheel well
8. Lay down a drop sheet on the ground or whatever you want to use to make sure the bumper is not scratched. Since i have no help i used drop sheet and foam on the ground just in case the bumper fell.
9. Starting from the corner bumper, carefully pull the bumper towards you and pull it out. Repeat on the other corner.
10. Carefully place bumper down or move it to safe location where it won't get damaged.
11. Now you can remove the headlights. (NOTE: there are no other hidden bolts or screws) Since all the bolts, screws and tabs are removed...you can now remove the headlights freely. Standing directly in front of the headlight, i pulled the headlight carefully towards me while pushing the headlight from behind.

12. NOW OFF TO GET MY HEADLIGHTS PAINTED!!!! I WILL UPDATE YOU ALL!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
2013 Santa Fe Sport bumper and headlight removal with pics

HI
I just wanted to add to this thread for removing the bumper and headlights

step by step bumper and headlight removal.

Needs: 10mm, 12mm, phillips screw driver

1. Remove radiator shroud using 10mm and phillips screwdriver and remove all nuts and screws
2. As mentioned by Stricken, removing the factory grille is the hardest part. You have to remove the rivets using a drill bit. This took a while to do. I have a PDF that i found on the internet how to remove the grille. In the PDF you have to remove the intake shroud.
3. Remove the top headlight bolts bolts using 10mm. Same steps with both head lights
4. Remove the final rear top bolts using 12mm. Repeat for other headlight.
5. (optional but recommended) Remove the screws on the headlight tabs with phillips screwdriver. Why because these can easily break if not handled properly. I've heard people breaking these tabs.
6. Unplug all your lights in your headlights.
7. Remove the small 8mm bolt/screw in the front wheel well where it meets the front quarter panel. I used a 8mm rather then a phillips screwdriver. Repeat the other side of the front wheel well
8. Lay down a drop sheet on the ground or whatever you want to use to make sure the bumper is not scratched. Since i have no help i used drop sheet and foam on the ground just in case the bumper fell.
9. Starting from the corner bumper, carefully pull the bumper towards you and pull it out. Repeat on the other corner.
10. Carefully place bumper down or move it to safe location where it won't get damaged.
11. Now you can remove the headlights. (NOTE: there are no other hidden bolts or screws) Since all the bolts, screws and tabs are removed...uou can now remove the headlights freely. Standing directly in front of the headlight, i pulled the headlight carefully towards me while pushing the headlight from behind.

12. NOW OFF TO GET MY HEADLIGHTS PAINTED!!!! I WILL UPDATE YOU ALL!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts