Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(this thread only pertains to those with awd)QUESTION: AT WHAT MILEAGE WILL YOU BE CHANGING YOUR REAR DIFFERENTIAL(carrier) FLUID? INDUSTRY STANDARD IS ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15,000K-30,000K.
I know many owner-manuals state that their fluids dont need to be drained unless you tow, but i can tell you that the gears inside do spin constantly (even when awd is not engaged) and the touching helical gears do in fact generate metal grit. GRIT FLOATING, ONLY ADDS TO THE WEARING OF THE MOVING INTERNALS. I STRONGLY ADVISE EVERYONE TO CHANGE THEIR REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 15-30K

Tools Needed:
Ratchet & Socket #24mm or 15/16th
6" ratchet extension
2 Vehicle Ramps (approx: $40)
1 bottle of 75w-90 Gear Oil ($6.99)
Gear Oil Hand Pump ($9.99)
Rags
Torque Wrench (optional)

Types of Fluids & Capacities: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-dm-2013-santa-fe/162801-fluid-capacities-pocket-reference-guide.html

·
Registered
427 Posts
Being that this is the fluid that came from the factory with new gears, I wonder if the next 29,000 will generate that many fillings?

BTW. Nice pictures.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
(this thread only pertains to those with awd)
QUESTION: AT WHAT MILEAGE WILL YOU BE CHANGING YOUR REAR DIFFERENTIAL(carrier) FLUID? INDUSTRY STANDARD IS ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15,000K-30,000K.
I know many owner-manuals state that their fluids dont need to be drained unless you tow, but i can tell you that the gears inside do spin constantly (even when awd is not engaged) and the touching helical gears do in fact generate metal grit. GRIT FLOATING AROUND, ONLY ADDS TO THE WEARING OF THE MOVING INTERNALS. I STRONGLY ADVISE EVERYONE TO CHANGE THEIR REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 15-30K
I believe Hyundai recommends replacement every 75,000 miles for AWD SFS (re. pg 7-22 of the manual). Is that correct?
John

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe Hyundai recommends replacement every 75,000 miles for AWD SFS (re. pg 7-22 of the manual). Is that correct?
John
i am not sure what hyundai states, to be honest. but i certainly wouldnt wait 75k. 30k the MOST.

compared to the price a new rear carrier costs (plus labor), its penny's on the dollar to simply drain the old fluid and put in 1.1pint of fresh fluid. 1 bottle costs $6.99 (and you will only use a little more than half)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
On the other hand when was the last time anyone has heard of a rear differential failing due to not changing the gear oil?

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the other hand when was the last time anyone has heard of a rear differential failing due to not changing the gear oil?
i have heard it plenty times. i have seen it explode due to seizing, and being forced by momentum from the moving vehicle & torque from the propeller shaft. it happens A LOT more than you think.

the rear differential does a lot more than you think. its the reason you can turn without having your tires skip across the ground, its the reason you have awd, etc. you have bearings inside, and gears. saving a couple dollars might cost you thousands later. on ebay right now: 2013 - 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Rear Carrier 13k Miles OEM - $1,050.99

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curious, is a seized rear diff covered under the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty?
looks like it is. i found this for you:

"SECTION 6 HYUNDAI POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY (ORIGINAL OWNER)
SECTION 6
ORIGINAL OWNER
Original Owner is defined as the first retail purchaser of the
vehicle who took delivery of the vehicle on its date of first use.
If the vehicle was first placed in service as a lease vehicle,
and the lessee purchases the vehicle at the end of the lease,
the 10 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty remains
in effect.
If the vehicle was first placed in service as a Hyundai Motor
America (HMA) Manager Demonstrator Vehicle, or Hyundai
Service Loan Car, the original (first) retail purchaser of the vehicle
is considered the original owner, and the 10 year /
100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty remains in effect.
This warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner.
Subsequent owners have powertrain components covered
under the 5 year/60,000 mile Hyundai New Vehicle Limited
Warranty. The 10 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
also excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial
use (e.g. taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).
ENGINE
Cylinder block/head and all internal parts, manifolds, timing
gears, timing chain, timing cover, gaskets and seals, oil pump,
water pump, fly-wheel, oil pan assembly, rocker cover and engine
mounts, and turbocharger.
TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE
Case and all internal parts, axle shafts (front/rear), constant
velocity joints, front/rear hub bearings, propeller shafts, seals
and gaskets, torque converter and converter housing and
clutch cover and housing, transfer case for Santa Fe, Tucson
and Veracruz AWD and rear differential for Santa Fe, Tucson,
Veracruz AWD and Genesis.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Items not covered by this warranty and any exclusion or limitations
relating to this warranty are the same as those set forth
in the “What is Not Covered” section of the Hyundai New Vehicle
Limited Warranty already described in this handbook.
INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING
WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF TIME, INCONVENIENCE,
LOSS OF USE OF THE VEHICLE, OR COMMERCIAL
LOSS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THIS WARRANTY "

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks ImStricken. The rear diff fluid change interval on my Honda Pilot is much more intense (every 2 years or 30k, whichever comes first). I would have figured Hyundai would take a similar approach if they could be on the hook for a warranty repair ten years down the road.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ImStricken. The rear diff fluid change interval on my Honda Pilot is much more intense (every 2 years or 30k, whichever comes first). I would have figured Hyundai would take a similar approach if they could be on the hook for a warranty repair ten years down the road.
A lot of people think maintenance schedules were designed with the customer and the customers invest in mind. nothing could be further from the truth.
A lot of thinking goes into designing service schedules. there is A LOT to consider. in my opinion, whats best for the customer is LAST on the list.

in my opinion the list consists of: (in this order)
1. how do we appear to be less maintenance than any other brand?
2. how do we keep our franchised dealers in business, by bringing customers back in for service?
3. how do we keep customers from making warranty claims?

-but thats for a different topic. lets just keep this about the diff fluid drain.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A lot of thinking goes into designing service schedules.

in my opinion the list consists of: (in this order)
1. how do we appear to be less maintenance than any other brand?
2. how do we keep our franchised dealers in business, by bringing customers back in for service?
3. how do we keep customers from making warranty claims?
1. I doubt many people compare maintenance schedules when deciding which car to buy. In this forum, many members have compared other cars (Escape, Equinox, Kia, Audi, Acura, etc.) to the SFS. I don't recall anyone comparing maintenance schedules. I doubt Hyundai uses/manipulates their maintenance schedule as a marketing tool.

2. Scheduled maintenance isn't free. What you're suggesting would mean Hyundai schedules their maintenance too frequently, which contradicts your argument for 30,000 mile, or sooner, differential oil changes instead of Hyundai's recommended 75,000 mile. Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train. Some dealers extend it to 200,000 miles. Any rear axle repairs during those miles are going to be paid for by Hyundai, not the consumer.

3. By having the proper maintenance done at the proper time.

I have full confidence in the Hyundai maintenance schedule. And I follow it.
John

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. I doubt many people compare maintenance schedules when deciding which car to buy. In this forum, many members have compared other cars (Escape, Equinox, Kia, Audi, Acura, etc.) to the SFS. I don't recall anyone comparing maintenance schedules. I doubt Hyundai uses/manipulates their maintenance schedule as a marketing tool.
cost of ownership is one of the most important topics, in the auto industry today. not only does that include MPG's, but it also includes reliability, and other factors that include maintenance.

3. By having the proper maintenance done at the proper time. I have full confidence in the Hyundai maintenance schedule. And I follow it.
John
wonderful. i am not here to debate how/why certain brands design their service schedules. i can tell you, that in my opinion- some brands stretch service schedules to make it seem as if they are less maintenance and more reliable than the next brand. if you chose not to believe it, so be it.

-lets stay on topic please: DIFFERENTIAL FLUID DRAIN.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

VIDEO IS UP GUYS!!

Tools Needed:
Ratchet & Socket #24mm or 15/16th
6" ratchet extension
2 Vehicle Ramps (approx: $40)
1 bottle of 75w-90 Gear Oil ($6.99)
Gear Oil Hand Pump ($9.99)
Rags
Torque Wrench (optional)

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Why not use a long straight 15/16 (24mm) wrench,, rather than going through frame with socket and extension ?

We dont have the oil services on any of our intervals.. the transfer case be the more important item to keep clean oil in. I up-sold transfer and diff oil at service done at 110, the diff oil was fairly clean, the transfer oil was baked.. difff dont get load unless module is duty cycling the viscous clutch, otherwise it just along for the roll

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not use a long straight 15/16 (24mm) wrench,, rather than going through frame with socket and extension ?

We dont have the oil services on any of our intervals.. the transfer case be the more important item to keep clean oil in. I up-sold transfer and diff oil at service done at 110, the diff oil was fairly clean, the transfer oil was baked.. difff dont get load unless module is duty cycling the viscous clutch, otherwise it just along for the roll
you will need to go through the crossmember anyway to get the hose in there. remember we are taking about thick, slow moving gear oil, so having as thick of a hose as possible is in your best interest. and keeping the hose as straight as possible is also a good idea.

yes a wrench can work; but they scare me. they are known to strip bolts that require a great deal of torque to remove. you have to always make sure the wrench is 100% flat against the bolt, otherwise you end up chewing off the edges of the bolt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Guys, i want to do this DIY on my SFS; i read that the transfer case oil has to be changed as similar intervals as the Diff oil; and Both should be replaced no matter how many miles, if submerged in water/mud.

Any tips, DIY, type of oil on transfer case oil change??
will be help full.

Thanks Imstricken, for the nice video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always see "rear differential" fluid change, which I did, but since I have an all wheel drive Santa Fe doesn't it also have a front differential that should also be changed?? I never see that posted. Is there a front differential under that plastic skid plate? Thanks for any help.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts