Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I was plastidipping my front grill, I decided to do a mod of my own to make the OEM Alarm Horn a little louder. At first I was going to replace the alarm horn with the factory horn, but instead I decided to wire another one in parallel with it, for a very loud and different tone.

I replaced the factory horn behind the grill with a bigger horn from a Ford that my coworker gave me.

The install took me about 30-40 minutes and everything looks 100% OEM still.

See pics below and video below showing the difference.

VIDEO:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nice job. It looks like it will be a popular mod, as many people complain about the wimpy chirp they get when they lock and unlock their doors as well as the main horn too.

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job. It looks like it will be a popular mod, as many people complain about the wimpy chirp they get when they lock and unlock their doors as well as the main horn too.
that's something else that I don't know if it can be changed...these horns sound if the alarm goes off or if I hit the panic button. those confirmation chirps sound through something else. maybe i'll look around the engine another day and see if I can find it and if it can be changed

you have got to be kidding me......
ah, I see I have encountered my first Debbie downer on Hyundai forums....

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Mod....are you going to show us how to hook ours up? Schematics?
well since it's already installed and cleanly installed, DIY pics is gonna be impossible

but literally it's just cutting and splicing

you can use any horn you'd like, just make sure you know on the horn itself which wire color is pos/neg.

for the horn behind the hood, the Positive wire is green and the Negative is black. you can either splice into those wires (I soldered) or cut off the plug going into the horn (if you want to use that horn somewhere else), just make sure you leave a good enough length on that wire so you can strip the wire and re-use it

for the alarm horn by the strut tower, pull back the electrical tape covering the wires on the plug for the horn. the Gray wire is positive and the Black wire is negative. I spliced in here as well.

I used the bracket that was still on the oem horn (the old front hood horn) and re-use the same factory bolt/factory location for the alarm horn and there was enough thread to go through both brackets to screw it to the chassis.

The ford horn also had a bracket. It was a little rusty so I just spray painted it flat black. It fit perfect behind the front grill and still had space behind there.

I didn't pull the bumper at all to do this. I managed to get the grill off even with my big hands wedged behind the grill to get the (4) Philips screws that are holding the grill to the bumper itself. You will definitely need to take the grill off to get to the horn behind the grill or just take the bumper off if you aren't able to get your hands behind there.

Tools needed (that I can remember):
Philips screwdriver#2 and a 'stubby' Philips head #2 (to get the screws behind the grill if you're not taking off the bumper)
soldering iron/solder
heatshrink/electrical tape (wire loom if you have some, to help clean up the wires)
wire strippers
zip ties/wire ties
socket wrench with 10mm socket

·
Registered
50 Posts
Door chirp

Rich B, the little annoying chirp, when you can hear it, is located in the driver wheel well. You will have to remove the tire to access the panel at the top of the well. I sure wish you could figure out how to connect it to a horn instead of the beep. I am no good at deciphering wiring but I can follow instructions to a T. Good luck with figuring it out....and let me know please...Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich B, the little annoying chirp, when you can hear it, is located in the driver wheel well. You will have to remove the tire to access the panel at the top of the well. I sure wish you could figure out how to connect it to a horn instead of the beep. I am no good at deciphering wiring but I can follow instructions to a T. Good luck with figuring it out....and let me know please...Thanks
now that you have told me the location, i will definitely tackle this project.

for this, i will try my best to do a DIY with photos.

i do car audio/video/security for a living and have been doing it over a decade now. every car i own just gets cleaner and cleaner as far as wiring and what not.

i'll do my best to figure this out!

do you have any idea what it looks like? is it just all black?

·
Registered
50 Posts
alarm buzzer

this is what it is called...BUZZER ASSEMBLY - PIEZO. 96831A
Stock Code957103L010 (Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts)

I have not taken it out. The best photo

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is what it is called...BUZZER ASSEMBLY - PIEZO. 96831A
Stock Code957103L010 (Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts)

I have not taken it out. The best photo
sweet! thanks! i'll tackle this when i do my whole front end project (hid's, turn signals, smoke headlights and taillights) since i'll be taking off the whole bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts