Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made custom maintenance logs for my cars and bikes, and love them. I keep them in a folder and add receipts to them as i go with my basic maintenance. I figured id offer you guys your own if you wish to use it.

DIRECTIONS: just print the image (i made it fit on a single piece of paper)
LINK: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5006/f925.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have made custom maintenance logs for my cars and bikes, and love them. I keep them in a folder and add receipts to them as i go with my basic maintenance. I figured id offer you guys your own if you wish to use it.

DIRECTIONS: just print the image (i made it fit on a single piece of paper)
LINK: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5006/f925.jpg
Thanks for share

I have a similar but this is much better ! :liebe011:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice! I have a question related to this very subject. The dealer that we bought our SFS from offers "engine covered for life" but you have to have ALL your maintenance performed there. That's oil changes and everything. Worth it? Not trying to hijack but you obviously do your own maintenance and was wondering your opinion. I do my own on my Tacoma but then again was not offered that "perk" when I bought my truck.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Nice! I have a question related to this very subject. The dealer that we bought our SFS from offers "engine covered for life" but you have to have ALL your maintenance performed there. That's oil changes and everything. Worth it? Not trying to hijack but you obviously do your own maintenance and was wondering your opinion. I do my own on my Tacoma but then again was not offered that "perk" when I bought my truck.
Whoaa. Loaded question. I would really want to see the fine print on that guarantee and what, exactly, is covered, and what maintenance, exactly, are they referring to (ie. does it mean you have to pay for the $200-$500) service packages, or just do the basics?). I suspect there are many loopholes that might make it impossible to comply fully thus leaving a great deal of discretion up to the dealer if your engine ever did fail.

Furthermore, although I understand an engine can fail, what are the chances...really? Presuming you are not an overly aggressive driver nor take it to the track, and maintain it, then I suspect likelihood is low. Also, how long do you plan to keep the car?

It's basically an insurance, and it comes down to a risk analysis of the likelihood vs. the cost, and on that latter point, most dealers charge a ton for all those interval service packages. It also depends on your risk tolerance. I have never paid for one during my lifetime, and don't plan too and have never had an issue related to not doing so (issue in the sense of a part failure or the dealer refusing warranty work for not paying for all their "service packages"). I have the work done that I know needs to be done, such as oil, coolant, air filter, brake service (clean and lube) after each winter etc (as required). Much of the other other work they charge you for, I presume you can do your self (ie. check fluid levels) or in some cases, are not even truly required.

Anyway, lots of unknowns to be able to answer your question.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer that we bought our SFS from offers "engine covered for life" but you have to have ALL your maintenance performed there.... was wondering your opinion.
it really depends on what they demand to be done (window wipers, tires, batteries, and light bulbs too?)

Calculate how much they charge for each service and see. and figure out how often engines die prior to 150,000 miles. (its not often unless absolutely abused. turbo's are a different story)

EXAMPLE: i traded in my 2010 infiniti g37s coupe in for this santa fe. (even though i do all my own service, i still like to see/ask what the dealer wants for certain services.) the bastards at the inifiniti dealer wanted $135 for synth oil changes, $79.99 for regular oil changes. (plus taxes)
it costs me $20 to do it on my driveway every 5,000 miles. so the savings is $60 per regular oil change.
so in 150,000 miles, with 5,000 mile changes, thats 30 oil changes (with a savings of $60 each) = $1800. that $1800 will buy me a good $1000 used engine at a junk yard and the $800 will more than pay for the install if i ever needed it.

now lets add up this: the same infiniti dealer wanted $89.99 for the rear differential drain. the diff took less than 1 bottle at a cost of around $5. it took me 20mins to do, and it saved me: $84.99. add that to the $1800 and we have $1884.99 SAVED.

now lets add up this: the same infiniti dealer wanted $120 for the transmission drain. this service requires 4 bottle at around $5. cost savings = $100. add that too the $1884.99 = and you have $1984.99.

now add in, i did the brakes, battery replacement, minor crap like wipers/bulbs/checks/etc all by myself. EVEN IF I USED A PRIVATE GARAGE IT WOULD STILL SAVE ME A TON OF CASH.
is this little perk you are offered worth it? depends what that dealer charges for services, and what services do they mandate; is my answer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It says 100% of all factory recommended maintenance. I don't think we'll be doing this. I too know how much these dealers charge for these service packages. Guess I'll take charge of the maintenance on this bad boy too.

I don't mind doing my own maintenance either. I know it's done and done correctly.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
OUCH.
That agreement is full of loopholes in favor of Values Guaranteed LLC. e.g. bullet 3 says if they change ownership, your agreement/warranty is void. Bullet 6, if you make changes to your car you void the warranty. Bullet 9, they can cancel the warranty at anytime without prior notice (like when you bring the car in for repair).

Those are from the big print. I can only imagine what the small print says (read bullet 8).
John

It says 100% of all factory recommended maintenance. I don't think we'll be doing this. I too know how much these dealers charge for these service packages. Guess I'll take charge of the maintenance on this bad boy too.

I don't mind doing my own maintenance either. I know it's done and done correctly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OUCH.
That agreement is full of loopholes in favor of Values Guaranteed LLC. e.g. bullet 3 says if they change ownership, your agreement/warranty is void. Bullet 6, if you make changes to your car you void the warranty. Bullet 9, they can cancel the warranty at anytime without prior notice (like when you bring the car in for repair).

Those are from the big print. I can only imagine what the small print says (read bullet 8).
John
Yeah, and I wasn't given the terms and conditions at the time of signing. Doesn't matter though, I've decided I won't be taking it to the dealership for every recommended service.

I missed your previous question too. We'll keep this vehicle until we can no longer drive it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is a nice data sheet for record keeping. I like it and copied the picture to my computer. Thanks for sharing.

I do wish you would post it without that SantaFe stuff on there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts