Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a set of 14" side shine 5050 smd LED light strips in my accent. I would like to have these powered whenever the car is on, and or running, and not by the headlight circuit.

Anyone know of a good wire to tap into in the engine bay for this?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You should be able to tap into one of the fuses, If you look in your car manual it should tell you which fuse does what, You should be able to tap into one that only operates when the car is on. Your fuse box should be in you cabin as well

·
22,793 Posts
There is also the "under hood" fuse box, with corresponding fuse references under the box lid. You could tap your power off there.

If this is outside wiring, your only access to the cabin fuse holder will require running the circuit wiring through an access point in the firewall.

·
22,793 Posts
Check local laws if they are exterior LED's as well - blue and red are illegal in many states while driving - green and purple would be up to the officer if he thought they could be mistaken for blue - but some of them can be jerks about it.
+1 Remember those "lighted windshield washer nozzles" on hoods some year's back?

Son's girlfriend had "blue" ones that her brother installed on the car. OHP gave her a ticket with instructions to "remove/disable/replace in 24 hours and bring it in for inspection." Otherwise...$$$$$$!

She had "green" ones put on. Car looked like the Loch Ness creature coming down the street at night.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Check local laws if they are exterior LED's as well - blue and red are illegal in many states while driving - green and purple would be up to the officer if he thought they could be mistaken for blue - but some of them can be jerks about it.
Yup, only white allowed here in washington state for DRL's. However I see plenty of blue/purple, and pink HID headlights about. The cops dont seem to mess with em. HID's are illegal with reflector headlights. Only when you have the projector lenses, are they legal here. And then only in white, not diamond white, blue, pink, or purple...
But like it was stated, theirs always that one cop that'll be on your case about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts