Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the YF Turbo sub-forum, but I thought some folks in here might be interested as well. I have a 2012 Sonata SE 2.0t. I like the suspension tune and engine, but I couldn't help feeling that it could use some more differentiation for being the sporty version of the Sonata. Having just put some R36 pedals in my VW Passat wagon, I thought I'd find some sport pedals for my Sonata.

I wanted to keep the project OEM, but apparently there aren't any offered for the Sonata even though you can find them for other models. However, there are sport pedals available for the Optima - and they are a perfect fit.

I got all of my pieces from the eBay seller partskor. You can find his seller page at partskor on eBay – tell him Thad sent you and mention the forum. He has lots of other nice KDM pieces, too.

Here’s what you’ll need:

- Accelerator: 327004C210 (Diagram: 32700A) NOTE: The part number is for the entire assembly. You only need the pedal portion (unless you want to change more parts). Do not use the pedal from an Elantra GT – IT WILL NOT WORK on 2012 US Sonatas. Make sure it has a hump on the back and a ball joint without a square base:

pedal back | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
pedal side | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

I had to learn the hard way on this one. You can read about my adventures in my original thread:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/230-sonata-yf-turbo/192498-ordered-some-oem-sport-pedals.html

That said, there may be differences between models years. Early builds might be able to use Elantra GT pedals. Be sure to read through the entire guide and check your car's control arm to confirm fitments before buying parts.

- Brake: 328252P000 (Diagram: 32825B )
- small Phillips head screwdriver for prying
- socket wrench with 10mm bit

Pry the bolt cover off the pedal base to expose the anchor bolt.
pry | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
bolt | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

Remove the bolt and then pull up on the assembly the remove the base from the floor. It’s held in by a clip as well as the bolt, but it should come loose without forcing it.
ratchet | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

Move the pedal base up and to the side so it rests on the brake pedal. This should expose the end of a retainer clip at the end of the accelerator control arm. It’s held on by three tabs. Pry the front of the clip over the first tab. Be gentle – you want the plastic to bend but not break.
pry arm | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

After you get the front of the clip over the tab, repeat the process on the top (or the bottom, if it’s easier for you to reach). The clip should pop off the end of the control arm.
image | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
image | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
pedal off | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

At this point, you should be able to remove the stock pedal completely. If your pedal comes with a ball socket, you should continue to the next step. If not, you’ll need to remove the ball joint from your stock pedal and snap it into the Optima pedal. As with the retainer clip, it’s all plastic pieces. Go slowly and gently so as not to break anything.

With the stock pedal removed and the Optima pedal in place, simply go in reverse: put the ball joint back in the end of the control arm and snap the retainer clip back in place. Then re-attach the pedal base onto the floor, re-tighten the bolt and snap the bolt cover back on.

Now it’s time for the brake pedal cover. It’s easy. Just pull from the back and lift it over the edges of the brake plate. It’s all rubber so it should just slide off.
stock brake | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
bare break | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

Since the metal pedal isn’t as pliable, it snaps onto the plate with four clips. You can see the difference in this photo.
brake comparo | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

The bottom clips are more stout and are like hooks. So, slide them over the bottom edge of the brake plate and then snap the top ones into place. This can take a little effort – push hard!
latch | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

Now remove the protective film from each pedals and enjoy the new look! I’ll cover the dead pedal in a future post.
new pedals | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One further note on the accelerator install. Be sure to check the fitment of your accelerator. It appears that some Sonatas might have the Elantra-type fitment after all. I found this page when looking for the footrest part number, and it matches the accelerator I was sent originally:

[¼Ò³ªÅ¸ ´õ ºê¸±¸®¾ðÆ®] ¾Ë·ÎÀÌ Æä´Þ ¼¼Æ®(Dz·¹½ºÆ®, ºê·¹ÀÌÅ©, ¾Ç¼¿Æеå) DIY : ³×À̹ö ºí·Î±×

Maybe they are like that in the Korean market. Again - check your car before buying parts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts