Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building on my thread about installing sport pedals from the Optima SX in my Sonata, here is another guide to installing the dead pedal / foot rest from the Elantra GT.

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but I had some heavy-duty tools to help out. If you have better tools than mine (likely so), it should be even easier for you. Here we go:

Elantra GT dead pedal / foot rest

The part number on the packaging was 32891 2H2009Y. A dealer part search turns up 842663X200 in diagram 32881 (FOOT REST - AL TYPE).

FOOT REST. PEDAL ASSEMBLY - BRAKE & CLUTCH ((FOOT REST - AL TYPE). ). Hyundai # 842663X200

This part is made specifically for the Elantra’s mounting points:

Dead pedal back | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos
Since the Sonata’s “foot rest” is carpeted hump in the floor pan, we’ll need to flatten it out.

Step 1: Use a cutting tool to remove the tabs and tubes. I had an angle grinder with a diamond blade that made quick work of them.

image | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

Step 2: There are still the bottom edges of the taller bits that I couldn’t reach with the grinder as well as other ribs and raised spots. I only had a knife, so I had to spend an hour whittling them down (and busting up my knuckles in the process). If you have a power drill and a dremel bit, this step will be a lot easier.

Step 3: With the major bits removed, we can now use heavy grit sandpaper to get a smooth surface. It doesn’t have to be pretty – just enough to make sure the pedal doesn’t sit unevenly.

Step 4: Without actual mounting points we’ll need to make sure the dead pedal stays put. I used 3M double-sided tape for pasting fixtures to walls (20 lb. test). Probably more than I needed, but why not? If you wanted a thinner adhesive, carpet tape might also work if you have it handy.

Step 5: At this point it was too dark for effective pictures, so I’ll try to describe what I did as best I can. In this photo, you can see a small lip on the left edge of the pedal. This needs to wedge up under the panel next to the pedals so that the left edge of the black plastic pedal base is flush with the panel.

If you’re patient, you could probably remove the panel, place the pedal and reattach it. However, I was not. The panel was flexible enough to pull out from the side enough to free the bottom edge without snapping anything. So, I removed the back side of the 3M tape, carefully pulled out the bottom edge of the panel and slid the pedal lip under it until the pedal was in the correct position.

After that it was matter of pressing and holding the pedal in place until the adhesive set. The top part of panel popped out of a fastener, but it was easy to get it back in place. Then I pulled the protective covering off and...

A full OEM pedal set!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts