Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I took the plunge and bought some LED high power LED bulbs off ebay. They are identical to the ones sold on other sites but I got them for $87 delivered. They are rated at an output o 1200 Lumens vs the average 800-900 for a regular halogen bulb.

First off, you will notice 2 small rectangles in the assembly. One is a small circuit board that came in poorly installed shrink tubing...one one of the assemblies anyway. The other rectangle is two pieces of aluminum sandwiching some electronic components in the middle. These are unshielded and upon calling one of the suppliers, they told me that the circuit board and electronic components cannot get wet. Well, what the heck! Why leave them exposed? They also said I could use some shrink tubing or rubber tape to seal. So I proceed to use some 3M rubber self sealing rubber tape and wrapped the whole thing to make it water proof.

The bulb. Seems solid and it is designed with the LED on one side only as shown in the picture, which when installed, faces up. I believe it is done this way so that the light reflects off the top of the reflector in the housing and forward and down to minimize glare. Although, in a headlight application, I wonder if it would actually be facing down. Not sure. Anyway, this unfortunately, also seems to limit light output which I will touch on later.

Install. You will note the pic of the underside of the driver front corner of the vehicle. The two arrows point to the two fasteners that must be removed. Use a phillips to unscrew a bit, then pull centre out and then the entire faster pops free quite easily. Then slide the shield back toward the tire and out towards the fender a bit while pulling down. There are two edges that tuck under the other under carriage plastic shields, so you need to free these. Then that section swings down to allow access to the fog.

Reach up in there and twist grasp either side of the plug and push in two tabs that release the prongs and pull the plug down off the bulb. Then twist the halogen bulb about 80 degrees counter clockwise.

Get the LED bulb in the hold with the LED emitter facing up generally, but then rotate slightly to find the right position so that the tabs fall into the slots, then turn clockwise until the LED emitter is facing up in the housing. I affixed the larger rectangle of electronics with two way tape to the fog housing. Cleaned it a bit with rubbing alcohol first. Test to ensure functional. If it works, then check to ensure that there isn't too much movement of wires etc for the bulb assembly and that nothing is going to tap with movement. Use some plastic ties to secure if necessary. Push the shield back up, and slide the two edges under the existing shield so it holds itself in place, then slide the fasteners back in the holes (without pushing centre down yet), then once snug, push in the centre of the fastener to secure. Repeat other side.

Review of performance:

You will not the close up shot of the front of my XL. The left is the original halogen and the right is the new LED bulb. The LED is definitely "whiter". If my HIDs are 4300 K, then I would suggest the LEDs are very close to my HIDs and can only tell the slight temp difference if look real close. However, I would put the LEDs around 4600 K...just a slight bit higher color temp.

I took a few shots with the fogs projected on the garage, and you will note the driver side with the LED and very distinguishable halogen projection on the passenger. I think this is due to the design of the LED bulb.

In the next post, you will see some shots with both LEDs installed...one shot with the fogs off, and one with them on. You will notice that you only see a slightly taller light image on the garage door where the LED fog bulbs fill in the bottom.

I also took a few shots of the light projecting on the road, one with fogs off and one with on.

So, result? These are much better than any other LED bulb option out there. Definitely brighter and I would say as bright as the halogen looking at the vehicle. In terms of light projection, I would say that the halogen, simply because light is being projected 360 degrees into the housing, it projects a much clearer line of edge of its light beam light whereas the LED is a bit more diffuse...ie kinda hard to tell where LED light ends....it gradually fades as you near the edges. Is this bad? don't know. I am somewhat concerned about glare from the LED however. This might be due to the greater light output, but which is limited in terms of what you see on the road somewhat because it only emits 180 degrees rather than the halogen's 360. I find that the halogen has a definitely noticeable beam pattern on the road almost directly in front of the vehicle, whereas the LED projects a more diffuse light right in the vehicle, and projects further down the road.

So, are they worth it? Difficult to answer because we all have differing priorities. Also, it is a bit early to tell how they will perform and whether I will get flashing headlights from oncoming traffic because of potential glare.

Nevertheless, if you want a whiter light without going to a hot burning halogen that cost 1/2 or 2/3 of this LED but in general last only 1 year, then yes. You may be compromising a bit of light output on the road though.

Is it better than HID? Well...if light output is your only important factor, then no. But if you would prefer NOT to blind oncoming traffic and attract the attention of police, then I would suggest this is a much better option. HID, quite simply, are designed to fit in a HID designed projector housing. Putting HID in a basic reflector housing like our fogs is downright dangerous for oncoming traffic.

Anyway, time will tell, but for now, I am going to keep these in. I don't use my fogs all the time anyway, because I like the look of just my headlights with my LED strip around the fogs as a highlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
That LED has a better white reflection that any halogen bulb. With less heat

Cool mod !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Really cool mod! Can you please post the link of the place you bought it off from? I want to do it in my Limited.
Thanks a lot for sharing your work, I really appreciate it.

·
2,258 Posts
awesome write up. the LWB group is lucky to have you here.
ill throw this up to DIY sticky we have growing.

keep us updated to the lifespan of these. i know inexpensive LED's are finicky.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks nice but you could of got a set of HIDs for less and have usable light output...
Did you read....
"Is it better than HID? Well...if light output is your only important factor, then no. But if you would prefer NOT to blind oncoming traffic and attract the attention of police, then I would suggest this is a much better option. HID, quite simply, are designed to fit in a HID designed projector housing. Putting HID in a basic reflector housing like our fogs is downright dangerous for oncoming traffic."

And this comes from a few vendors I contacted when I was looking at options for fogs. I was seriously considering HID and they advised me against it unless doing a proper retrofit, which will cost waaaaaaaay more than these LED bulbs. Yes, lots of people just still slap HID bulbs in regular reflector housings, but it doesn't make it safe or always legal. I prefer the slight decrease in light output over blinding oncoming traffic, getting people pissed at me and flashing their hi-beams at me, or worse, getting pulled over the the cops because of the dangerous glare. Whatever works for you...different strokes....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey i see you added speakers and amps was that to the stock system ? I don't want to change that since all the integration I did not get the infinity system from dealer because i felt for the $$ you do better on outside.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ummm I just dont see how the light will go that high up considering how low the fog lights are and besides there are a lot of people driving around with HIDs in their fog lights on their sontas with none of those issues you mentioned... Yes I hate when people put HIDs in their civics or what ever else without projector headlights cause those do blind on-coming traffic... It might be like that with the SF fogs since they are sitting higher off the ground... Im still putting HIDS in my fogs cause I actually like how the fogs light up the road under your lows, besides I have been driving cars with foglights for almost 10 years now and it just feels weird driving a car without them now...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ummm I just dont see how the light will go that high up considering how low the fog lights are and besides there are a lot of people driving around with HIDs in their fog lights on their sontas with none of those issues you mentioned... Yes I hate when people put HIDs in their civics or what ever else without projector headlights cause those do blind on-coming traffic... It might be like that with the SF fogs since they are sitting higher off the ground... Im still putting HIDS in my fogs cause I actually like how the fogs light up the road under your lows, besides I have been driving cars with foglights for almost 10 years now and it just feels weird driving a car without them now...
Fact is that the fog housing is not designed to focus the beam like a proper projector. The standard halogen that comes in your fog gives out approximately 800 lumens. HIDs?....anywhere between 3000-4500 lumens depending on the kit. That's at least 4 times brighter in a non-focussed housing. I don't think it takes a engineering degree to figure out that the increase might be just a tad blinding for oncoming traffic.

Just because other drivers not flashing their high beams doesn't mean they are not being blinded, having difficulty seeing further down the road, or just being distracted...which itself is dangerous. Or when you are behind them and your are blinding them in all 3 rear view mirrors...what are they supposed to do then? And the argument that everyone else doesn't cut it...it doesn't make it safe or legal. Fact is, there is tons of reading out there about why HIDs should be installed ONLY in a proper housing. And, one of the popular on line vendors admitted to me that HIDs in my fogs would certainly cause glare and would impede oncoming traffic's ability to see well. He suggested going with a better halogen. I thanked him for his honesty.

Anyway, to each his/her own.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I understand how the housings work and my cutoff for my HIDs in my lows are right at the top of the trunk of the car in front of me when I am driving the correct distance behind them... With my fogs being a lot lower than my headlights I just don't see how the housing will reflect the light that hight up... When I put my fogs in I am wiring them so I can turn them on independantly of the headlights so I was going to test them to see how high the light output is and if it is higher than my lows I will take them out... The SF on the other hand is higher than the Sonata so that might make a difference...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With my fogs being a lot lower than my headlights I just don't see how the housing will reflect the light that hight up.
Again, because our fogs are not designed to focus the light and don't have the cut off with the precision of a projector housing! Just look that the fog...it is essentially a bowl shape like most stnd housings. A fog at 800 lumens is bearable to oncoming traffic. 4-5 times that in a unfocussed beam is not. Anyway, do the research...there is lots out there already on this with lots of knowledgeable people that will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great review thx for posting, will be buying a set of LED bulbs to replace mine as well; and +1 on cars without projectors putting HID kits in, all too common these days, had a Dodge Ram behind me once, i think my eyes are still feeling the effects of that day..
cheers

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up:

Must admit, so far so good with my fogs. I don't have them all on all the time but have yet to be flashed for glare. Actually like the light output on the road. Still stand by the points in my original post though. If you want best of both worlds (ie. whiter light and brighter), then you need to go with a better halogen bulb (eg. philips extreme)

Still strongly recommend against HID. Even professional vendors recommend against putting HID in stnd housing if you don't want to create dangerous glare for oncoming traffic.

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
345 Posts
lucky11,
I realize the last post to this thread is a year old now.

My question is, is there a way to have the fog lights on when the ignition is on regardless of the headlights? This is for a 2014 SF LWB.\

I had a 2009 Santa Fe that I cut the brown/orange wire going to the fog light switch and grounded the lead coming from the fog light switch. The fogs worked anytime as long as the ignition switch was on. I used them for daytime running lights after I installed LED's.
Bruce

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lucky11,
I realize the last post to this thread is a year old now.

My question is, is there a way to have the fog lights on when the ignition is on regardless of the headlights? This is for a 2014 SF LWB.\

I had a 2009 Santa Fe that I cut the brown/orange wire going to the fog light switch and grounded the lead coming from the fog light switch. The fogs worked anytime as long as the ignition switch was on. I used them for daytime running lights after I installed LED's.
Bruce
To be honest, I have no idea. I rarely use my fogs because I have LED light strip around my fogs and my hi-beam as DRL.

·
Registered
132 Posts
can anyone help? need to know where I can get these 22W 1200 lumen white fog lights. this thread is old and both sellers that the OP suggested do not sell them

1 - 20 of 25 Posts