Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Today I called the vendor that sold me the LED bulbs on Amazon to maybe set up a return. I told him that the stop light works, but the tail light did not light. He asked if I had installed both bulbs at the same time or just one. I answered that I had only installed one. Last week Tuesday, I worked on the passenger side. This past Saturday I worked on the driver side. He said go ahead and install both sides then look to see if they work. He said that these are "off market" bulbs, sometimes they can be tricky (WTF?!).

So I'm going to try it today...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well I'll be a Son of a B****, it worked! But now a new problem, the third light up top is on all the time... FML...
It really does seem like there is something wrong with these bulbs like an internal short somewhere. You did mention that you saw smoke come from one of them at one time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually all you need is to locate the flasher unit. And change it for a mechanical flasher instead of a thermal. If you are having trouble locating it. Just turn your signal on without the car running and just listen for the clicking....
Tried doing this any still have yet to locate it. Anyone have any luck???

Also, those Lumen bulbs from CARid look fantastic - was going to order about $350 in those to replace almost all the bulbs, then went to checkout.... ANOTHER $350 TO SHIP THEM TO TORONTO, ONTARIO AND THATS NOT INCLUDING TAXES OR DUTIES... NOT A CHANCE!!! I contacted them and they said the best they can do for shipping is $160 - other bulb places quoted $40. I think I'll go elsewhere.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Also, those Lumen bulbs from CARid look fantastic - was going to order about $350 in those to replace almost all the bulbs, then went to checkout.... ANOTHER $350 TO SHIP THEM TO TORONTO, ONTARIO AND THATS NOT INCLUDING TAXES OR DUTIES... NOT A CHANCE!!! I contacted them and they said the best they can do for shipping is $160 - other bulb places quoted $40. I think I'll go elsewhere.
LOL what!? Put it in one box and send it... $160? It's free from China and $100 from the US...

·
Registered
413 Posts

Next time I take my car into the dealership I will hit up the parts desk. They usually have a vehicle map and can locate stuff.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I received my red LED bulbs yesterday and just finished installing them. Like "GarciaR88", you need to install both LED bulbs to make them work properly. There are only two wires going to each bulb socket with no apparent ground. You need two bulbs to complete the circuit. I am not sure why it is designed this way but my guess is that the wiring harness is designed to work with both factory LED tail light units and filament bulb type units. The new bulbs are now brighter than stock and seem to work quite well. The rear signal bulbs are actually 1156 and not 3156 as it states in the manual. I will try them on the road tomorrow to test whether the cruise control is affected by the LED's, that is if the snow storm is over here in Toronto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
:clap: This is awesome Turbofan...

After another weekend of trying to figure out my set up, only to have more failure...

I got the "LED Decoder" harnesses in, and just finished trying them out with only poor results. They did not take care of my 3rd brake light problem like I hoped. In fact we (my son and I) even tried the whole set up on his '02 Galant. The LED bulbs direct "plug and play" did not work (same problem has my VC) and then plugging in the decoder harnesses did not take care of the hyper flashing (as promised). One of the LED bulbs got so hot, it seemed just as hot as a regular incandescent.

I think what I have found out is:
1. The bulbs that I got off of Amazon are complete duds... I do have a return label and will be sending those back.
2. The "decoder" harnesses may also be duds, but I'm not completely sure yet.
3. I don't know what is causing the 3rd brake light to stay on when I have the LEDs in no brake pedal is pressed.

I don't want to buy more LEDs with this 3rd brake light problem hanging over me.

Turbofan, is your 3rd brake light on with the bulbs you got from eBay? Did you have to install resistors for the brake lights?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
As long as I have an LED bulb in both tail lights they work properly. I verified by recording them with my camcorder. The centre brake light only comes on when I press the brake pedal and they illuminate properly with the lights on as well. You only install the resistors for the signal bulbs to prevent hyper flashing. Do not install resistors on brake lights unless your vehicle uses Canbus technology.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1156 in amber, correct? How about some pictures?
The rear signals don't need to be amber since the taillight housing is red - can use plain white or red bulb as well.

I used an amber chrome bulb in mine and it gave off an odd hue. Will be swapping in red LEDs if I can figure out resistor locations.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Did you say you got your turn signal LEDs from them as well? 1156 in amber, correct? How about some pictures?
I purchased amber 1157's from them more than a month ago for the fronts. I recently ordered the amber 1156 for the tail lights but I haven't received them yet. I chose amber just to be different as I hope it will result in a warmer red colour for the rear signals. The white LED is too white as the original bulbs give off a warm light and I would be afraid of getting a pinkish tone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I forgot the Santa Fe has an all red assembly. My VC has an amber plate in front of the bulb. I'm disappointed with the light from the LED on a clear sunny day. It can hardly be seen. I should be getting the reds by the end of the week. Hopefully they will work and be bright enough. Maybe then, I'll order some amber's.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 112 Posts