Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was successfully able to install front LED signal lights today. I needed to find a way to install 6 ohm resistors in order to prevent fast LED flashing. I could not seem to locate the wiring diagram showing voltages so I decided to solder the resistors directly to the bulb housing. The housing has two clips that separate the inner housing from the outer housing - use a small slot screw driver to release the catches. The 1157 bulb has two positive contacts on the bottom of the bulb. You need to find which contact gives you full brightness as this is the point at which you attach one end of the resistor. After determining the contact points, I used a Dremel tool to grind into the housing from the outside in order to run the resistor wires. I then soldered the wires directly to the contacts within the housing socket. Finally, I used silicone to seal the wires outside of the housing. The metal heat sinks for the resistors were attached with two sided tape to the bracket that supports the hood strut.

I purchased the bulbs from this eBay seller:

1157 Amber Yellow 25W Cree High Power LED Projector Turn Signal Tail Light Bulbs | eBay

SAM_1414.JPG

SAM_1415.JPG

SAM_1416.JPG

SAM_1417.JPG

SAM_1418.JPG

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was successfully able to install front LED signal lights today. I needed to find a way to install 6 ohm resistors in order to prevent fast LED flashing. I could not seem to locate the wiring diagram showing voltages so I decided to solder the resistors directly to the bulb housing. The housing has two clips that separate the inner housing from the outer housing - use a small slot screw driver to release the catches. The 1157 bulb has two positive contacts on the bottom of the bulb. You need to find which contact gives you full brightness as this is the point at which you attach one end of the resistor. After determining the contact points, I used a Dremel tool to grind into the housing from the outside in order to run the resistor wires. I then soldered the wires directly to the contacts within the housing socket. Finally, I used silicone to seal the wires outside of the housing. The metal heat sinks for the resistors were attached with two sided tape to the bracket that supports the hood strut.

1157 Amber Yellow 25W Cree High Power LED Projector Turn Signal Tail Light Bulbs | eBay

View attachment 92425

View attachment 92433

View attachment 92441

View attachment 92449

View attachment 92457
On my last car I was able to change the flasher to a non thermal flasher and this gave the turn signal a regular flash.

·
Registered
604 Posts

View attachment 92425

View attachment 92433

View attachment 92441

View attachment 92449

View attachment 92457

I got some for mine too, but have yet to install them. I have a bunch of gear for the FE but I want to nail this suspension thing first.
Now mine look a bit different and have a lead coming out from them which is for the DRL feature on them and the resistor came wired in already. They were around $65. Now granted, I need to get DRL module, but in the mean time, I've got the LEDs. LOL!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Has anyone considered trying Can-Bus LED bulbs for the turn signal?

Can-bus LEDs has small resistors built into them in order for them to not through a diagnostic code (on brands such as, but not limited to, Audi and BMW) indicating a burnt out bulb.

I'm not sure if the resistors are strong enough to prevent the hyper-flash but I may pick up a pair just to give it a try.

1156 bulb, but link is just for reference: https://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor-Required-Error-Free-LED-Turn-Signal-p/canbus-2g.htm

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the 1156 bulb has one contact underneath so it would not electrically connect in the socket even though I do not believe the vehicle uses the other terminal. I bought the bulbs as they were CREE LED's which are the brightest available and I do not believe I have seen this type with built in resistors. The resistors themselves do get warm as there is a current drop of about 2 Amps across them. The resisters have aluminum heat sinks on them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More yellow than amber, instant off/on, brighter, less current, longer life and they look cool. My opinion only.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here are the ones I got. Waiting to pick up a DRL module before install them. I know I know, hurry up already! LOL!
Anyway, these come assembled with the OEM holder assembly, the proper resistor and a lead for the DRL's. These are dual color, yellow LEDs for turn and white for DRL.
One of these days I will figure out how to post the pic in regular format instead of in a thumbnail. Someone pm me with the details of that would be great. Thank you :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is not a trick question. Why would anyone want to change the turn signal bulb?
John
Hey GolferMack! What's the good word?
For me personally, I just think they add a little character that I like. The factory ones are perfect to get the job done. Other than that, I don't see a mechanical or electrical benefit, but I'm sure others might and that's awesome if it helps them out in that way.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the ones I got. Waiting to pick up a DRL module before install them. I know I know, hurry up already! LOL!
Anyway, these come assembled with the OEM holder assembly, the proper resistor and a lead for the DRL's. These are dual color, yellow LEDs for turn and white for DRL.
One of these days I will figure out how to post the pic in regular format instead of in a thumbnail. Someone pm me with the details of that would be great. Thank you :thumbsup:
I was thinking of these ones as well, but I was concerned that they may not be bright enough. Your photo is much better than the seller's photo!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe the 1156 bulb has one contact underneath so it would not electrically connect in the socket even
I realize this, hence my comment:

I was providing an example of a bulb equipped with Canbus resistors - I didn't specifically looks for an 1157 Canbus example. My bad, should have been more clear I guess...

BTW, what is the issue with having the resistors within the headlamp? Do they really throw more heat the and OE HID bulbs already pump into the headlamp?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hey GolferMack! What's the good word?
For me personally, I just think they add a little character that I like. The factory ones are perfect to get the job done. Other than that, I don't see a mechanical or electrical benefit, but I'm sure others might and that's awesome if it helps them out in that way.
Thanks for not taking a hissy over my question. :)

While "coilovers" aren't my cup of tea, I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in seeing pictures and an install write up after you install your turn signal LEDs. This mod is something I'd consider doing.

Have a nice day.

John

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW, what is the issue with having the resistors within the headlamp? Do they really throw more heat the and OE HID bulbs already pump into the headlamp?[/QUOTE]

They only get warm under normal usage but may become hot if you leave your flashers on for a while. There would be no place to put them inside the headlight anyways if you are asking about the signal lights. The resistors that you buy online have an aluminum heat sink and the wires are wrapped with high temperature insulation. Probably similar heat to a seat warmer.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for not taking a hissy over my question. :)

While "coilovers" aren't my cup of tea, I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in seeing pictures and an install write up after you install your turn signal LEDs. This mod is something I'd consider doing.

Have a nice day.

John
I will definitely see what I can do to do a pic and install write up. I'm not good with taking pics till after the fact. I know-ding dong here's my sign! LOL!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was thinking of these ones as well, but I was concerned that they may not be bright enough. Your photo is much better than the seller's photo!
Thnx for the props on the photo. As far as brightness, I won't have anything to compare it to, but I will take a pic or two of them when installed at night too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In regards to your reply:

There would be no place to put them inside the headlight anyways if you are asking about the signal lights. The resistors that you buy online have an aluminum heat sink
I guess I have to specify that with Canbus bulbs there are no EXTERNAL heat sinks required, since they are built into the bulb (RE: image attached). Thus, you wouldn't really have to worry about finding a place to put them within the housing or drilling holes in the dust cap.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In regards to your reply:

I guess I have to specify that with Canbus bulbs there are no EXTERNAL heat sinks required, since they are built into the bulb (RE: image attached). Thus, you wouldn't really have to worry about finding a place to put them within the housing or drilling holes in the dust cap.

That would be a cool way to go too if you can find the right fitment. Nice!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts