Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the pads and have a question. I removed the old f/r pads and noticed a thin metal piece attached to them. In the attached picture, the pad on the left is the rear pad with the metal piece still attached, the pad on the right is the front pad with the metal piece removed and sitting next to it. Note: these metal pieces are not the removable pieces with the clips that easily came off the old pads.
Questions:
Should these metal pieces be removed from the old pads and attached to the new pads? (new pads did not come with them)
Are these "shims"? and are they absolutely necessary? What happens if you don't use them on the new pads?

Thanks in advance for the help!

btw, ordered the pads from autopartswarehouse.com, CTEK semi-metallic OEM, $65 total for f/r, part numbers CE102.12840 and CE102.12020. Shipping was fast and free.
[attachment=20492:IMAG0156.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (kmul @ Oct 1 2010, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360234
Changing the pads and have a question. I removed the old f/r pads and noticed a thin metal piece attached to them. In the attached picture, the pad on the left is the rear pad with the metal piece still attached, the pad on the right is the front pad with the metal piece removed and sitting next to it. Note: these metal pieces are not the removable pieces with the clips that easily came off the old pads.
Questions:
Should these metal pieces be removed from the old pads and attached to the new pads? (new pads did not come with them)
Are these "shims"? and are they absolutely necessary? What happens if you don't use them on the new pads?

btw, ordered the pads from autopartswarehouse.com, CTEK semi-metallic OEM, $65 total for f/r, part numbers CE102.12840 and CE102.12020. Shipping was fast and free.
Replace the brake pads in your Hyundai Sonata or any of the Hyundai models when the signs of brake pad wear become evident. Those signs include brake squeal. The brake pads are equipped with built-in wear indicators. Read More

·
Registered
143 Posts
The shims are required when replacing the pads and most good quality pads come with the shims already attached. If not, you should be able to buy them from a local parts store. They eliminate any type of squealing noise from the piston riding directly on the pad itself.

Also, the pads are ceramic, not semi-metallic. Ceramics are better for heat, stopping, noise.

QUOTE (kmul @ Oct 1 2010, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360234
Questions:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Send me a photo of the pads. Most after market and OEM pads have the shims built in them. I know because I changed all 4 corners today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too was wondering about this.

I checked my wife's brakes on her 2006 Santa Fe that have been squeaking a little - still plenty of pad left. But there were these little metal brackets that the pads sat on - I took those out thinking they might be rubbing. Can I live without those, or are they some kind of big deal? It seemed to me that they were just there to make the pads stay snug.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,515 Posts
I believe that those metal shims on the back of the brake pad are to reduce vibration noise from the brakes
They aren't a big deal .. meaning is that the brakes will still work and you will be able to stop your vehicle
The calipers will just take up the space if the shims aren't there
Just that they were to prevent brake noise/squealing. They don't necessarily make noise.

But don't quote me ... I have been wrong before ....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I too was wondering about this.

I checked my wife's brakes on her 2006 Santa Fe that have been squeaking a little - still plenty of pad left. But there were these little metal brackets that the pads sat on - I took those out thinking they might be rubbing. Can I live without those, or are they some kind of big deal? It seemed to me that they were just there to make the pads stay snug.

Hyundai Santa Fe: Front Disc Brake. Components and Components Location - Brake System - Brake System - Hyundai Santa Fe DM 2013-2016 Service Manual

I assume you mean part #7.

Yes, those are absolutely essential. They provide a smooth sliding surface, alignment, and guidance for the pads. They should have caliper grease on them. They are stainless steel. Without them, you have steel rubbing on cast iron, resulting in rust.

In fact, I would not even drive that car until properly serviced.

Welcome to the forum. 00000732

1 - 10 of 10 Posts