Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an auto electrician out to what I suspected was a wiring fault, but he's concluded the BCM is faulty. He said he wasn't able to replace Hyundai BCM's.

Sourcing a replacement seems easy enough, there are heaps on eBay, but recoding seems to be the trick.
I am prepared to buy a programmer/software/tool for the privilege as I'd rather do that and have something useful than pay the dealer £750 for the privilege of changing a £10 PCB.
After having no luck, I've now spoken to over 10 auto electricians all of which say they cannot do Hyundai BCM replacements and that going to the dealer is really my only option.

Is there any way to replace an i40 BCM (2014) and recode without the dealer?
Or is my only real option to go down the repair route and send the unit away and be car-less for a couple of weeks?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,860 Posts
I've had an auto electrician out to what I suspected was a wiring fault, but he's concluded the BCM is faulty.
Sorry, I can't offer any advise about replacing the BCM. I've never had to replace one yet. I'm curious about the problem your experiencing though that made the electrician conclude the BCM is faulty?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I can't offer any advise about replacing the BCM. I've never had to replace one yet. I'm curious about the problem your experiencing though that made the electrician conclude the BCM is faulty?
The problems are
-Passenger side door does not lock (tested actuator, works fine, had a scope on the wire and no signal received
-Passenger side wing mirror adjusts up and down but not side to side
-Boot opens with fob but not with button on the boot
-Passenger side window opens with passenger side controls but on the drivers side controls only a full press down works and only a half pull up works (ie half press down does nothing and neither does a full pull up does nothing either).

Three of those four are front passenger side, which made me assume since I bought the car as a CAT-D repaired write-off which had had the front passenger side wing replaced, that the issue was wiring. However The cables were traced with no faults / shorts found from the door actuator to beyond the glovebox.

I've now purchased the shop manual from Hyundai and starting to scan the schematics.

Are there many BCM's that are difficult to replace? If I cannot work out how to re-code or repair this module myself I'm seriously considering designing a drop in replacement... I have a serious grudge against all dealerships.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... upon reading the schematic for the BCM, it appears it cannot be responsible for the passenger side door lock since it doesn't control it. Anyone know what module is responsible for that?

Also the wing mirror doesn't seem to be controlled by it either. The boot could be the BCM though, but if it's in isolation I'd want to check the physical button first.

Seems like my auto electrician was wrong about the BCM, at least for the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
Well... upon reading the schematic for the BCM, it appears it cannot be responsible for the passenger side door lock since it doesn't control it. Anyone know what module is responsible for that?
All the door actuators are wired in parallel, so one failing can't be a module problem. It really has to be a wiring issue...assuming the actuator itself is good.

thechip said:
Also the wing mirror doesn't seem to be controlled by it either.
No, it's not.

thechip said:
The boot could be the BCM though, but if it's in isolation I'd want to check the physical button first.
That sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
If you do get a handheld the good ones usually show you the BCM and other inputs and outputs, they either let cycle them or show you the state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
F.Y.I. I have a 2010 IX35 Highlander (to of the range ) now with 2020.00kms on the clock.
In the last 3 years I am having trouble with the windows....crazy... up not down then down not up ...this one
then that one ...crazy ship all the time. If I spray contact cleaner down the switch they are good for awhile
then bad again...now its the cruse control and steering wheel volume. I have also used Disk Cleaner
that works for a while too.
I'm sure its the switches........The electric seat controls played up until i stripped it down and cleaned the contacts.
Good luck with it.

If you have time can you tell me if the AM/FM antenna is 12volt powered as I upgraded the head unit FM is OK but AM is CRAP They removed the Amp from the boot and I bet they cut power to the Antenna. It would be nice to power it up.

Regards Bob Morris Sydney Australia

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
F.Y.I. I have a 2010 IX35 Highlander (to of the range ) now with 2020.00kms on the clock.
In the last 3 years I am having trouble with the windows....crazy... up not down then down not up ...this one
then that one ...crazy ship all the time. If I spray contact cleaner down the switch they are good for awhile
then bad again...now its the cruse control and steering wheel volume. I have also used Disk Cleaner
that works for a while too.
I'm sure its the switches........The electric seat controls played up until i stripped it down and cleaned the contacts.
Good luck with it.

If you have time can you tell me if the AM/FM antenna is 12volt powered as I upgraded the head unit FM is OK but AM is CRAP They removed the Amp from the boot and I bet they cut power to the Antenna. It would be nice to power it up.

Regards Bob Morris Sydney Australia
Most of these stubby antennas have an inbuilt amp. Power was supplied from the original head unit
Replace the switches, switch gear in Hyundais can be ordinary, pretty much all my i30 and both ix35 have bad switches
sounds like clock spring for the steering wheel

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
If you have time can you tell me if the AM/FM antenna is 12volt powered as I upgraded the head unit FM is OK but AM is CRAP
As Gerard says, the antenna has a signal amplifier built into the base. The amp is powered by a 12V supply that normally comes from the original head unit. Perhaps the wire that supplies power to the antenna amp has been left disconnected when the aftermarket head unit was fitted. According to the head unit pinout at the link below the amp power supply wire is on connector 'A', terminal 18. Connecting that wire to the power antenna or amp remote wire on the aftermarket head unit should improve your AM reception.

2009~2015 Hyundai ix35 Head Unit Pinout

Apologies to @thechip for dragging his thread a little off topic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts