Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am wondering if there are any tech guru's here that might know something about this subject.

Active noise cancellation systems are very expensive, yet they are fairly inexpensive in headphones.

Could a system be developed using those circuit boards to make a DIY system with some success?

The road noise isnt bad in the accent, but it could be better.;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
My active noise cancellation, turn the volume up on the radio. :D

Reactions: The_K_Man

·
Registered
726 Posts
My active noise cancellation, turn the volume
up on the radio. :D
Yep!! And insulate sufficiently in the first place.

I'm presently in a 2010 Honda Accord - all the cabin space of the YF Sonata, nice moonroof EX - without the EPS(electric power steering) bugs that plagued a small but significant percentage of that generation Sonata.

I went through the half-hour process of partial center console, storage, and dash trim removal to unplug the ANC(active noise cancellation) mic. harness from the back of the factory radio on that thing, and..

..The difference between the so-called cancelled noise and noise without ANC is imperceptible. Plus, when you have a noise cancellation feature using the same speakers as the stereo uses to play your music over, the music suffers, especially in the low frequency end(where most of this 'noise cancelling' voodoo goes on).

The poor speakers, even the sub on higher trim levels, are coupling music reproduction with anti-noise reproduction, and the bass comes off alternately as lacking or muddy.

Plus, after disabling ANC, I noticed my speed-sensitive volume actually working, vs before I couldn't tell, at any of the three settings.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello,
I am wondering if there are any tech guru's here that might know something about this subject.
Active noise cancellation systems are very expensive, yet they are fairly inexpensive in headphones.
Could a system be developed using those circuit boards to make a DIY system with some success?
The road noise isnt bad in the accent, but it could be better.;)
Noise cancelling when using headphones/ear-buds is relatively easy because the direction/location of the noise source and cancelling source are well defined. To cancel the noise in your car without headphones, where noise source direction/location are from all directions, would be very difficult. Even if you cancel the noise for the driver, the passengers would not realize any benefit.

Short answer: No.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Noise cancelling when using headphones/ear-buds is relatively
easy because the direction/location of the noise source and
cancelling source are well defined. To cancel the noise in your
car without headphones, where noise source direction/location
are from all directions, would be very difficult. Even if you cancel
the noise for the driver, the passengers would not realize any
benefit.

Short answer: No.
Well, Honda, GM, and some premium brands do emply ANC(active noise cancellation) in many of their models.

The effectiveness of such surely depends on its implementation.

In the essay I wrote above regarding my ANC experience in my Honda, I laid out what effects I did notice - not so much a reduction in engine hum, but inconsistent bass performance from the head unit when playing my music.

Disconnected the ANC, just pure, clean sound, and consistent bottom end, from material that demands it.

Remember, the difference in this thread is that the poster wants to retrofit ANC to his sound system. That could be a crap-shoot at best. When the car makers have ANC implemented, they hire actual ENGINEERS to design, test, and implement it, most likely during design & development of the vehicle itself.

So short answer: Yes - if the appropriate people are doing it. ;)

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, Honda, GM, and some premium brands do emply ANC(active noise cancellation) in many of their models.

The effectiveness of such surely depends on its implementation.

In the essay I wrote above regarding my ANC experience in my Honda, I laid out what effects I did notice - not so much a reduction in engine hum, but inconsistent bass performance from the head unit when playing my music.

Disconnected the ANC, just pure, clean sound, and consistent bottom end, from material that demands it.

Remember, the difference in this thread is that the poster wants to retrofit ANC to his sound system. That could be a crap-shoot at best. When the car makers have ANC implemented, they hire actual ENGINEERS to design, test, and implement it, most likely during design & development of the vehicle itself.

So short answer: Yes - if the appropriate people are doing it. ;)
I agree!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can try Road Noise Cancellation, it absorbs noise and can also prevent them from passing from road to residential areas. Specifically, the most commonly used acoustic solutions, as well as the cheapest residential soundproof barrier products, are noise barriers. These blocking road noise products are sold by standard size blankets or rolls, making the transformation of existing structures easy and cost effective.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
219 Posts
You can try Road Noise Cancellation, it absorbs noise and can also prevent them from passing from road to residential areas. Specifically, the most commonly used acoustic solutions, as well as the cheapest residential soundproof barrier products, are noise barriers. These blocking road noise products are sold by standard size blankets or rolls, making the transformation of existing structures easy and cost effective.
I've never seen that product before, do you just put it on the underside of the car? And I'm sure people have mentioned this before but there is always sound deadening foam. I've never tried it out, but I have heard it works pretty well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts