Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Anyone ever tackle an AC repair? My AC is shooting warm air and I can see the discharge line is covered in an oily film at the hose fitting. The part looks easy to repair and I assume the system has totally leaked out. I see the recharge kits everywhere to buy. I am a DIY guy but never worked on AC stuff before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are way more knowledgeable people on here than me. I try to do as much DIY as possible and want to tackle air stuff but every time I research it I decide not to. Seems like you need some specialized equipment to do it correctly. Good luck if you try! The one thing I would say about it though is that everything I have researched says to stay away from the quick charging kits and do it the right way, which means recovering/emptying the refrigerant with a machine, fixing the problem/part, then recharging using a scale. Again, others may know much more. That’s just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
189 Posts
You could replace the part by yourself like any other no problem. But dont assume that the system is empty because you get warm air. It could be something else, or it could be low but with still some charge in it.

The problem is : You need to vacuum the system to remove all air in the system before recharging it, and for that you need specialized equipment. To recharge, you have to put a specific amount of gaz and oil, and its not something easy to do with DIY cans.

If the system is bad since a long time, you may have to replace the drier too if there is one on the Santa fe

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Get a set of manifold gauges from Harbor Freight and hook them up. If you see any low side pressure you need to have the r134a sucked out of the system. Around my area, the tool plus the evacuation service is about 140 bucks.

The line may have failed or the o ring inside the line may have failed. Would recommend oem parts unless you can find aftermarket that is trustworthy. Most is Chineseium so will fail within a year of the install.

Once done you can either rent a vaccum pump from the parts store or have the shop that evacuated the system just recharge you.

No oil should be required since the compressor is not being changed out. Can do install a new drier (known as the desiccant bag and is located on the side of the condenser) but again not required.

On the recharge...if not having a shop do it only put in pure r134a. Do not use the quick charge cans as they contain stop leak and will plug the drier and or other parts of the system. This is also why you need the manifold gauges since they will have the charging line to attach the can to the system.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
If you don't have a full set of gauges w/pump. Take it to a shop.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
If you replace the hose or whatever part then should test to see if there are any leaks??
Do this before recharge or taking it to the shop to re-fill it

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
yeah - you might want to replace the part(s) that are defective - along with the desiccant and then let a shop do the rest. A shop can put suction on it which will evac the system of air and determine the integrity with respect to leakage, and they can put the proper refrig charge and oil into system .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everybody. Looks like I will probably go Dealer route this time. $$$

·
Registered
920 Posts
Cross, same as you I have no cold air coming out at all and this issue started last summer but I ignored it. Finally started to use the AC over a week ago and nothing but warm air, took it to the dealer to diagnose ($170) and they told me that the high and low pressure AC hose are leaking and will need to replace both. Parts have been ordered costing close $500 and labour was quoted for 5 hrs because they have to take the bumper off to remove it. I just drop the vehicle off earlier and they will do the work tomorrow, total cost with tax are around $1400 CAD. I had no choice but to do the repair as they recommended!!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Cross, same as you I have no cold air coming out at all and this issue started last summer but I ignored it. Finally started to use the AC over a week ago and nothing but warm air, took it to the dealer to diagnose ($170) and they told me that the high and low pressure AC hose are leaking and will need to replace both. Parts have been ordered costing close $500 and labour was quoted for 5 hrs because they have to take the bumper off to remove it. I just drop the vehicle off earlier and they will do the work tomorrow, total cost with tax are around $1400 CAD. I had no choice but to do the repair as they recommended!!

Your shop sucks at repairs if the bumper is coming off to replace the ac hoses. Only reason to remove the bumper is to get at the condenser for removal and replacement. You can disconnect both hoses from next to the radiator and then get at the compressor end from below the car.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Your shop sucks at repairs if the bumper is coming off to replace the ac hoses. Only reason to remove the bumper is to get at the condenser for removal and replacement. You can disconnect both hoses from next to the radiator and then get at the compressor end from below the car.

Sounds like someone pads the bill a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts