Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my car (Early February) it used to read 362 miles as the distance to empty.

Now, whenever I have a full tank, it reads 340 miles until empty - a drop of 22 miles! Is this normal for a new car to drop like that?

·
22,793 Posts
Don't get overly concerned with this. It can increase or decrease. Where fuel economy is concerned, there are lots of variables that affect it: temperature, driving habits, fuel, dirty air filters, A/C, idling, pre-warming on a cold morning before leaving home, terrain, stop-and-go, wind, traffic, school zones, electrical demand from accessories (headlights, radio, heater/cooling blower motor speed) jack rabbit starts, to name a few. These inputs are reflected in your dash display whenever you refill the tank.

What you are experiencing is absolutely normal. You'll probably fill up in the future and see a significantly higher number. Try to recall what was different between the two tanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am having 2014 sonata SE and when i bought my car onward it is showing 360 miles to end when ever i fill the fuel tank., but full tank is giving 425-450 miles. Even i don't know why the distance to end display is not changing at all.. Dealer said nothing wrong with the display.

·
Registered
893 Posts
When I got my car (Early February) it used to read 362 miles as the distance to empty.

Now, whenever I have a full tank, it reads 340 miles until empty - a drop of 22 miles! Is this normal for a new car to drop like that?
It is just the computer recalibrating distance to empty based on what mileage it notes you are actually getting vs. what it assumed when the car was new. No one is sure what average number it uses in this computation - mileage since new, mileage last tank, mileage over last 1000 miles? It appears it probably is some weighted average, weighted toward most recent.

- Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts