Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused by the "Distance to Empty" display option. I assumed this would tell me how many miles I have left before I run out of gas. But it only changes about half as fast as my odometer. In other words, I drive 10 miles according to the odometer and my "Distance to Empty" only goes down 5 miles. So I actually have twice as many miles to empty as the display says? I thought maybe it was broken so I called the service dept and asked, shouldn't it match the odometer's rate of change? They said, no, that Distance to Empty is just an estimate based on fuel left in the tank and the rated mpg. It doesn't calculate the mileage you're actually driving vs fuel usage. If it's changing slower than the odometer then it means I'm getting better mileage than the rated mpg, according to their explanation. Is that correct? That seems dumb. What good does the "Distance to Empty" do me if it's so different from actual miles I have left?
Also, when I fill up my tank all the way my "Distance to Empty" is only about 380 miles max. From what I've read elsewhere this car ought to actually get about 500 miles on a full tank. I don't know how far I've actually been going on a tank because I had assumed the "Distance to Empty" was matching the odometer. Now I guess I'll have to test it the old fashioned way by writing down the gallons and mileage next time I fill up.
Does the service department's explanation make sense? Or is my gauge broken?

·
Registered
817 Posts
According to the manual, we have an 18.49 gallon tank.

At 20 mpg that would be 369.8 total miles.

25 mpg - 462.25 miles

30 mpg - 554.7 miles

35 mpg - 647.15 miles

Since your actual, current mpg is constantly changing, the best any "distance to empty" estimate could be on ANY vehicle would be an estimate, hopefully, based on a lower mpg (meaning you'd actually be able to go more miles than it says).

I believe we'll all see that the fuel gauge on the dashboard shows 12 "pips" when full. If it is reasonably accurate then, each "pip" is about 1.5 gallons. Maybe this is our best method for estimating the remaining miles on a tank?

Just sayin...

·
Registered
123 Posts
i've had my DTE guage INCREASE after driving a long distance. granted i was "coasting" downhill and things like that, but i'm guessing the DTE take into account current fuel level, current fuel usage as well as previous usage. I.e. if you were driving at 25mpg, and how you are using less fuel at 30mpg, it'll still factor the large consumption in for the time being.

i use the DTE as a reference not a hard point. i know that if i have 100 miles left, i can fiddle with it. if it says 50 or less i find the next gas station

·
Registered
717 Posts
The only thing I hate is that it goes to --- after 40 miles or less. **** I dont have a clue when it is going to run out. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand it wouldn't be exact. But I would expect a reasonable estimate. It's changing HALF as fast as the odometer and that's a huge difference. So it thinks I'm using gas twice as fast as I actually am to calculate the total distance but then changes at half the rate. It's making no sense.

Also, why are there 2 "average mpg" displays showing 2 different averages? One says 22mpg, the other says 25.5mpg. The one displaying 25.5mpg changes a little, from 25.3-25.6mpg. The 22mpg never changes.

I don't think I can depend on the pips either. After I filled it up I drove about 50 miles according to my DTE (100 miles according to my odometer) before it went down the first pip. So I went 100 miles on 1.5 gallons? But my average display says only 25mpg?

lol...and I thought all these displays would make life easier. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Check to see if one of those "mpg" readings is really an "mph" reading. (There are two mpg displays - one, an average and the other an "instant" reading which is the moving "bar" line).

Another display shows the average speed you've been travelling since you last reset the display.

From the manual:

Average speed (MPH or km/h)
This mode calculates the average speed
of the vehicle since the last average
speed reset.
Even if the vehicle is not in motion, the
average speed keeps changing while the
engine is running.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (cdwarrior @ Aug 11 2010, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348793
I can understand it wouldn't be exact. But I would expect a reasonable estimate. It's changing HALF as fast as the odometer and that's a huge difference. So it thinks I'm using gas twice as fast as I actually am to calculate the total distance but then changes at half the rate. It's making no sense.

Also, why are there 2 "average mpg" displays showing 2 different averages? One says 22mpg, the other says 25.5mpg. The one displaying 25.5mpg changes a little, from 25.3-25.6mpg. The 22mpg never changes.

I don't think I can depend on the pips either. After I filled it up I drove about 50 miles according to my DTE (100 miles according to my odometer) before it went down the first pip. So I went 100 miles on 1.5 gallons? But my average display says only 25mpg?

are you a controls engineer?

now something doesn't seem right if you drove 100, and the dte only said you went 50, but the avg was 25. something's no adding up there...

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the distance to empty was supposed to be accurate they wouldn't have put a gas gauge. I use the distance to empty to show me how good of mileage I can expect out of a tank. When mine gets to about 40-50 miles it goes blank any how.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are WAYY over-thinking that little display :) , as others have said all these little aids we have are constantly changing algorithms buried in the car's little computer brain. I've had 4-5 cars with DTE and this is what they ALL do, basically it's just like the re-fuel emergency light coming on with 2 gallons left in the tank (so about 60-70 more miles you could go). We humans tend to push the limits, if that DTE display said you can go 500 miles and you stopped on the side of the road at 475 dead you would be ****!

Personally it's always been a little game of mine to see how much further I could go than the display said I could. After stepping out of a car that would give me 21mpg on a real good day (and driving 500-600 miles/wk) I was giddy when I kept watching my odometer climb far past the initial estimate of how far I could go.

........I'm guessing you aren't a child of the 70's or before. I've had at least 3-4 cars where you couldn't rely on that 1 guage we did get to tell you when you were out of juice :D.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Put a gas can in the back... drive until you need it.. and then maybe you'll know how accurate the DTE and the gas guage is :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Those computers are merely an estimate and a conservative one at that. A few years ago, the TV show 'Top Gear' had a fuel economy race from Basel, Switzerland to Blackpool in England. Richard Hammond drove a VW Polo BlueMotion and he drove another 40 miles after the range computer showed '0 miles to empty'. Meanwhile, Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar XJ6 TDVI and drove 10 miles with the range computer showing 0 miles left. They then examined the fuel tank of the Jaguar and found it still had enough fuel in it to go another 120 miles. Now this is a big car with a 22.4 US gallon tank so even showing 0 miles to empty, it still had 3 or so gallons left. I once drove my dad's Acura RL for 15 miles with the range showing 0 and the 19 gallon tank only took 16.5 gallons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to remember reading on the web site of that guy who got a 1000 miles out of a tank of gas on the 2011 Sonata that the "Miles to Empty" is a direct mathematical computation. (Gallons of gas in the tank)X(EPA combined average MPG). So that would be ( gallons of gas in tank)X(26 I think).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Actually, BlackLion3, it would seem that the "distance to empty" is the system measured number of gallons in the tank X 24 (the EPA City rating) according to that sites determination.
(Post #46, h-e-r-e.)

This means that if you are driving mainly on the highway getting close to 35 mpg or more, the DTE will be a huge underestimate, whereas if you are doing mostly city driving the DTE may be closer to correct and maybe even an overestimate - so care should be taken when referrencing it.

With this information, though, I would say that if you re-set your Average MPG setting when you fuel up, you'll be able to estimate how closely the true DTE is - if you are averaging less than 24 mpg you will know that the estimate is greater than what you are likely to get. Any average mpg greater than 24 would mean that you'll get more than the DTE shows.

Seems then, that you can get some meaningful usefulness out of the readings even if not entirely reliable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (cdwarrior @ Aug 11 2010, 06:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348793

One of those gauges is for AVG MPH. Not MPG.

I also cannot understand why you are expecting the DTE to match your odometer miler per mile??? Your odometer is a concrete fact. Every mile you travel.....one mile goes on the clock.

The DTE is an ongoing calculation that is impossible to be 100% exact. Every time you change your speed, step on the gas, step on the brake, sit in traffic ect..... the calculation changes. Its a never ending "estimate". That is why it goes blank below 40 or so "estimated" miles left till empty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my Sonata, and according to the "miles remaining" in the dash I had 32 left to go, then the display went to "- - - -" so I immediately pulled over and went ahead and filled up. Put in 16.8 gallons, which left me with over a gallon left. MPG was around 30, but I didn't reset the meters when I got the car from the dealer. Weird.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (bagem788 @ Aug 17 2010, 09:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350059
I just got my Sonata, and according to the "miles remaining" in the dash I had 32 left to go, then the display went to "- - - -" so I immediately pulled over and went ahead and filled up. Put in 16.8 gallons, which left me with over a gallon left. MPG was around 30, but I didn't reset the meters when I got the car from the dealer. Weird.

This is normal. It's in the manual but I forgot what's the minimum amount that you need to pump before it automatically resets.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In my 2008 Sonata, I have found the DTE to be accurate if not spot on. At 60 - 75 miles left on the DTE indicator, my gas light comes on. The rate at which the gas light comes on (for me) depends on my current mpg rating on the trip computer. For example, last year when I was averaging 35 mpg in my Sonata according to the trip computer, the gas light came on when the DTE read I had 80 miles left. Prior to my last fill up when I was averaging 30 - 31 mpg, my gas light came on when the DTE list my miles to empty at 58. At 30 miles or less to go, the DTE display goes ---. I will drive an additional 20 - 25 miles before I refuel and I end up putting a little over 17 gallons in the tank. When I reached the predestined 0 miles to E mark (in my head doing simple math) after the gauge goes ---, I haven't been able to get more than 5 miles out of the empty tank before it starts to choke down. I've tried it out of curiosity and ended up being stranded on the side of the road. So when the dash goes ---, I try to never go never more than 20 miles on my estimated 30 remaining mileage.

In my 2006 Mustang, DTE indicator went all the way down to 0 and even had a display to tell you how many gallon of fuel you used on each tank, which I relied on to go farther than the DTE indicator said I could go. So if I put 16.4 gallons in the Mustang and the DTE says 0 at 15.9 gallons of fuel used, I know I can drive another half gallon.

Like others have said, the DTE adjusts with your driving habits. Going back to my last fill up in my 2008 Sonata about 10 days ago, I put a full tank of gas in my Sonata....somewhere around 17.1XX gallons. Checking the DTE, it reads that I could go only 472 miles on that full tank. I know that's inaccurate. I have 289 miles on that current tank of gas and the DTE lists my range as 253 so I will easily eclipse that 472 mile mark. Don't take the early readings of the DTE as a true measure of your mileage left. When you get down to about half tank of gas, it starts to before more reliable...at least that has been my own personal experience and usually won't stray unless your driving style becomes extreme from your normal style.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts