Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the battery in my 2011 Sonata. After the install I reset the radio, clock etc. and everything seemed to work fine electronically. The car was very low on gas and when I filled it later that same day the "Distance to Empty" display in the dash only read 271 miles after fill up. Typically when it is filled it reads 550+ to empty. After three tank fulls the display now reads 375 when filled up. Is there a reboot for this function? Does it have to be done by a dealer?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As destro indicated, it's never exact-- and it CHANGES depending on how you drive-- I've observed mine actually increasing as I drove . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
mileage

I replaced the battery in my 2011 Sonata. After the install I reset the radio, clock etc. and everything seemed to work fine electronically. The car was very low on gas and when I filled it later that same day the "Distance to Empty" display in the dash only read 271 miles after fill up. Typically when it is filled it reads 550+ to empty. After three tank fulls the display now reads 375 when filled up. Is there a reboot for this function? Does it have to be done by a dealer?
Woodhead:

I understand your concern. But I'm puzzled. When I tank up my sonata I get
800 kilometers or 480 miles approx. Did I understand you get 550 miles or 900 Kilometers?? at 480 its not that different from your 375 miles. Maybe its still worth it to get it checked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As destro indicated, it's never exact-- and it CHANGES depending on how you drive-- I've observed mine actually increasing as I drove . . .
Rick I think the indicator he is referring to is distance to empty. That's always decreasing as you drive!
rp

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never look at it because it is most likely inaccurate and means nothing. I'll go by the gauge every time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's based on whatever mpg the car is observing so if you got 31 mpg on the last tank it will show more than if your mpg was say 21.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It is only a guess because it can't know how you will drive between now and empty.

It would need to time travel to the future for an exact reading; that would mean that we don't have free will - that our future is pre-determined.

I'd rather just use the gas gauge. :)

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
On my Gen Coupe the DTE blanks out after it drops below 50 miles. Worthless eye candy IMHO. I even put a gas can in the trunk and drove around trying to run it out one time and failed.

Generally when the low gas light comes on you have around 2 gallons left. On my Accent I can confidently drive 75 miles per the odo after the low gas light illuminates.

It also depends on the accuracy of your speedometer/odometer, which are independent BTW.

On my Gen Coupe they both were off with the speedo off about 2 mph fast. I finally got some bigger tires and the speedo matches my GPS but the odo is way slow now so the DTE is bogus.

My Accent I have bigger tires and the speedo reads about 2 mph slow now as does the ODO. I have to multiply the accumulated miles by 1.04x to get an accurate miles number. The Gen Coupe is 1.02x

·
22,788 Posts
Absolutely! Having driven locally before going on a lengthy trip I noticed my MPG on the upswing as each mile passed...eventually settling into a respectable reading.

Not an accurate thought, but I caught myself thinking, "I'm making gas, here." If only that were so... LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
To me it seems it calculates on your mpg when you fill up...so if I'm driving all city averaging 19, then fill up and drive highway...my distance to empty should increase as I'm driving. And vice versa for highway to city...

·
22,788 Posts
To me it seems it calculates on your mpg when you fill up...so if I'm driving all city averaging 19, then fill up and drive highway...my distance to empty should increase as I'm driving. And vice versa for highway to city...
Within reason, yes. Fascinating to watch, although you know it's just a temporary illusion...until the next fill-up.

·
Banned
532 Posts
On the SFS you have the option of the Range reseting after each fill up or addition of ~4 gallons or or an automatic reset. Manual reset takes MPG from day one, fill up's and top offs of ~4 gallons then computes range, consider this a snapshot for the total period of time. Automatic reset zero's everything at a fill up or recalculates with addition an of ~4 gallons. My guess is your on a manual type function, your range is going up after each fill up and that's reflecting good driving habits....:)

My guess is the system resets to a factory calibration, a total WAG but this could be: estimated city & highway added together, divided by 2 and multiplied by tank volume. That may get you close to the shown range, but their algorithm most likely has different values for highway & city percentages. Our SF showed a 380 mile range at delivery and haven't seen it since

Shout out to Rich- I've seen the petroleum production also!! At one point I was in cruise at 60mph getting 44.8 MPG- I had hit reset while driving, it was a beautiful thing and wish I had my camera, needless to say it rather quickly went down.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rick I think the indicator he is referring to is distance to empty. That's always decreasing as you drive!
rp
I used a tank of fuel in about 4 weeks driving only about 6 miles a day-- with about 8 stops on each trip. I was getting an "indicated" 15 MPG. Before a road trip I fiiled the tank and it said 260 miles (to Empty)-- I got on the interstate (using cruise) and car was indicating 32 MPG . . the Distance to Empty actually INCREASED as I drove.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts