Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2014 Tucson - I absolutely love the car and couldn't be happier. That is until last night, now I just want to murder things.

A friend of mine projectile vomited onto the dashboard and windshield, with a large amount going down between where the windshield and dashboard connect. Another pretty hefty amount went into the right passenger vent and right passenger window defroster.

The rest landed on the carpet at his feet.

I've cleaned up the car pretty well, along with the detailer. But I can't help but think there's more vomitus deep within the 2 vents and between the windshield and dash.

I considered going into the Hyundai dealership and having them open up the dash/remove the windshield so I can clean up inside, but if I can at least get into the dash myself I can keep the costs down.

So what I'm seeking help for is: How do I disassemble the dashboard and/or get access into the vent tubes?

tl;dr - Friend puked in F/R passenger seat, vomit went between dashboard and windshield and into vents. How do I disassemble the dash to clean up more?

I really really appreciate any help. I just got the car and it's not even 2 weeks old yet, so I'm pretty miserable right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
caveat

I cannot find any documents or instructions online on how to disassemble the dash/vents, which is why I've come to you fine car owners.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I'm assuming and commending that you had a designated driver during this event, nicely done.

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2014 Tucson - I absolutely love the car and couldn't be happier. That is until last night, now I just want to murder things. A friend of mine projectile vomited onto the dashboard and windshield with a large amount going between the ....... I considered going into the Hyundai dealership and having them open up the dash/remove the windshield so I can clean up inside, but if I can at least get into the dash myself I can keep the costs down.

So what I'm seeking help for is: How do I disassemble the dashboard and/or get access into the vent tubes?

You don't do anything ...... your buddies stomach spunk so spunky buddies temporary help, him helping you get and then droping off the rental car he's paying for, etc., etc. This is all spunk buddies $ bill's, up front..

Friend puked in F/R passenger seat, vomit went between dashboard and windshield and into vents. How do I disassemble the dash to clean up more?

Again not a job for car enthusiasts, it's time for a professional. Not on your dime, cash up front.

I really really appreciate any help. I just got the car and it's not even 2 weeks old yet, so I'm pretty miserable right now.
I hope that your buddy is more miserable, not from the bender but from what he's done and is doing to you. I trust he's there working on it, repeating "What ever it takes I'm going to pay for it". Again, it's cash up front.

You had a schmuck who couldn't roll down a window, open a door or cup his hands together, jeepers doesn't anyone have the decency or common sense to vomit on themselves, down their shirt or into their own coat anymore?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Sorry to hear such incident.
Even if you can find the removal instruction, it is a job for professional. The man-hours cost will be out of your imagination.

A may be silly suggestion, can you try to dip a soft pvc tube inside the vents & try to suck up anything down under using some vacuum pump? The mechanic's air hose in reverse?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I was the DD. It was horrifying to watch the incident unfold before my eyes.

I got a local company to steam/shampoo the carpet and clean out as much as they could, which was after i tried my magic. I cleaned out the visible parts of the vents so far.

How much would a detailing be on average? All I need to do is clean out those 2 vents and check to see if any vomit is still between the windshield/dashboard.

Would it be possible to get someone to just disassemble the dashboard and I'll take care of the rest?

As mad I was at my buddy, I really can't hate him and I don't want to charge him out the butt. We've known each other for 14 years and actually got stationed together at the same army post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PVC tube idea is pretty good. I'll see what I can find. I had to use arts and crafts quality pipecleaners because I can't find any more utilitarian ones around the area.

·
22,793 Posts
Maybe a new ad in the making: "Friends don't let drunk friends projectile vomit in their new ride!" Must've been one heck of a party. If he doesn't ante up for the clean-up costs, wait until he buys his new ride...payback!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
One strategy to combat and prevent any smell is to roll the windows down, put the blower on full with no ac, and spray unscented Lysol disinfectant in through the cowl. Then just let it blow on high for a good 5-10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Do you think putting some 99% rubbing alcohol (available at walmart or pharmacy) down will help. It evaporates at once so no harm will be done. At least kill the smell & germs.

So we are all experts now.

·
22,793 Posts
One strategy to combat and prevent any smell is to roll the windows down, put the blower on full with no ac, and spray unscented Lysol disinfectant in through the cowl. Then just let it blow on high for a good 5-10 minutes.
Do you think putting some 99% rubbing alcohol (available at walmart or pharmacy) down will help. It evaporates at once so no harm will be done. At least kill the smell & germs.

This is good stuff to know. Not that I make a practice of hauling inebriated passengers around in my car. And won't. But there could be other times or instances where this info could come in handy.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Don't forget you've got a cabin filter, any mist would get caught by the filter. My biggest fear would be the humidity down there, which I'm assuming is North Carolina. I don't know the temperature there now but know it does get humid, that scent has a habit of reappearing...:(

·
Registered
48 Posts

+1 FOR THE ALCOHOL!
My GF Puked all over her car one day from having migraines and i was told by a detailer to use alcohol. The alcohol did indeed kill the germs and made the odor go away. i used 2 bottles on the whole drivers side. 1 bottle to just pour and soak down into the carpet (removed drivers seat too) and 1 bottle in a spray bottle to spot clean.

Left overnight and the car reaked of rubbing alcohol but no more vomit smell. I then took some water and saturated the areas and used a shop vac to "pull" the liquid alcohol, vomit mix up. after it dried up it looked good as new.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1) Take off small side panel with flat tip screwdriver
2) Three tabs holding front plate and right A/C tube. Pry those tabs up gently so not locked in place.
3) Pull it until it pops out. You'll think you're ripping it out, and that's what I thought as the ginny pig. It'll all pop back into place.
4) Now you can clean the air tube.
5) Disconnect glove box at 2 round knobs holding it in place and then the piston by pinching it through the opening holding it.
6)Take out misc screws and bolts (about 3 each) and then take out glove box mechanism (appears to close into itself). This gives you access to the a/c filter.

That's about as far as I got. Gets more difficult from there. My issue was a god awful rattle in the window corner. If you've got long and thin arms you can strech back there, but I doubt the yack ended up there as the window and dash are tight together.

When done go yack in your friend's car...while he's on vacation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts