Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Ive got a 2007 Santa Fe and I am possibly looking at opening up the entire housing (not just the back hole to replace the bulb). Actually separating the front lens from the housing.

I have yet to take the housing away from the vehicle, but was wondering if anyone knows... Is there a sealant holding the front lens? In which case I need to bake the housing for a few minutes to soften it up.

Or are the front lenses held on with some clips and buttons?

Different cars have different methods. Just wondering how the Santa Fe in constructed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The lens is glue/sealed... not a service item.

Why are you wanting to seperate ?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I would not recommend opening the lights because if you don't re-seal them correctly, you will get insane amounts of condensation inside.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Put the headlights in the oven at about 50°C for about half an hour. This way the glue melts and you can take the clear plastic cover off. There are though a couple of bolts,which you have to remove first. It is easy to do. Don`t forget to remove the upper decorative plastic, to be able to acces all the bolts. I`ll take photos later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
QUOTE (MalagaMan @ May 18 2010, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324083
Maybe he wants to add Angel-Eyes or LED strip lights?
Don`t know about him,but I`m going to mod my beam pattern according to DOT. Nice straight line. E-Code with xenon blinds the oncoming traffic,when I turn right. It`s only a matter of adding a smal metal shield.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a link, but it's how to take apart a KIA Sorento headlamp assy and it is to a KIA forum that might not be allowed (forum competition??) so I'll defer until told differently...

I'm kinda touchy about forum etiquette.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hyundai and KIA are like VW and Skoda. Come on,post the link. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I purchased a used set of frt. Headlamps on ebay. LH paid $50.00 and RH paid $75.00 both in great condition.

I have removed the clear lens here is how.

First remove the Philips screws surrounding the headlamp also all the bulbs. (First one I did forget to remove the outer edge amber bulb made the lens separation difficult)

I used a heat gun for stripping paint just moving it around the sealed area take your time, approx. 20 minutes. You will see after ten minutes the seal is loosening and some areas like the ends will lift from the seal as you apply light lifting pressure away from housing.

I purchased white LED angel eyes on ebay (colors are available just not sure if the law in our state would allow certain colors due to emergency vehicle usage only)

Paid a fraction of what KAI website charges also used KAI dimensions to order the correct size eyes. (2x80mm and 2x90mm)

A couple of ebay links below to purchase angel eyes >

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-80mm-Car...sQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I noticed there are LEDs for the bottom amber strip and the side markers.
From Automotive apple >
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-10-Hyund...sQ5fAccessories

When I order the above LED light strip and side marker lights I will install along w/angel eyesand have pics.

One of the reasons for purchasing the 2nd set is to keep the originals in case the modified headlamps fail the annual inspection also in case I damaged the lens while modifying.

The only pics available now are showing the lens taken apart and on the bench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this thread is super old but did anyone ever install the led strip and angel eyes? I see the products but I don't see install anywhere. I was wondering how much room is on the lower channel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts