Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We leased a new 2011 Sonata Limited Turbo and started having mechanical issues immediately. The brakes would “pop” audibly, with an unexpected drop in the brake pedal under completely random circumstances. The dealership looked at it several times, but never came up with an answer, and the problem persisted. The transmission was rebuilt twice, the power steering would quit while at highway speeds, the chrome trim on the interior would crack and peel, and the car would often simply not start, requiring towing. The service department was nice and always gave us a loaner, but nothing was ever fixed with only one trip to the shop. Upon turn-in at the end of the lease, we were 6k miles under our limit, and the car was in excellent condition, but we found we could not trade the car in anywhere. Hyundai made so many of them that it reduced the cars value. Hundreds were for sale locally, and no other dealership would consider it as trade. Even the Hyundai dealership didn’t want it back, so we decided to just return the car and walk away. However, Hyundai Motor Finance then wanted to charge us hundreds of dollars to give the car back, to cover their own expenses. We were nice about it, never being rude or demanding, and Hyundai said they’d be happy to work with us and waive all fees, if we leased another Hyundai. When we explained that the experience was not so great that we wanted to repeat it, they effectively told us not to let the door hit us on our way out. They were very dismissive, almost offended that we didn’t want another car from them. My wife and I have been leasing cars since the early 90’s. We have never been asked to pay a disposition fee, or to replace tires, even when switching brands. This is a Hyundai policy that suits Hyundai, not their customers. After speaking to many different Hyundai representatives, I came to the conclusion that customer satisfaction and retention is not critically important to them. I will not consider another Hyundai vehicle for a future lease.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MB CLA 250. $10K more expensive than the Sonata, but only slightly higher in payments, and you don't see one on every street corner. I've leased many times. First time anyone required new tires.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Did you read all the terms of the lease carefully, fine print etc??

Sounds like you got a lemon. Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We questioned the $400 disposition fee when filling out the lease. The salesman glossed over it, saying, "That's only for certain circumstances. No one ever ends up paying that fee." There was nothing specific about tire wear in the paperwork. We take blame here for simply believing what we were told, but still feel cheated by Hyundai finance who admits they'd work with us if only "we'd show a little brand loyalty". I'm not sure how I'm supposed to develop that loyalty on one mediocre car. And yes, apparently my car was finished at the end of the month... on a Friday... by the kindergarten class visiting the plant.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We questioned the $400 disposition fee when filling out the lease. The salesman glossed over it, saying, "That's only for certain circumstances. No one ever ends up paying that fee." There was nothing specific about tire wear in the paperwork. We take blame here for simply believing what we were told, but still feel cheated by Hyundai finance who admits they'd work with us if only "we'd show a little brand loyalty". I'm not sure how I'm supposed to develop that loyalty on one mediocre car. And yes, apparently my car was finished at the end of the month... on a Friday... by the kindergarten class visiting the plant.
Well I have a 11 SE 2.4 and I LOVE MY CAR. I had a couple of little issues but they were all taken care of by the stealership that I DIDNT even buy the car from under warranty with no questions asked. I will continue to buy Hyundais cause out of the 5 we have had in the family 0 major issues have happened to anything of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad your experience was better Txboy. I would imagine that most people have decent experiences with their cars, but cars are complicated, and few come any where close to being perfect. Even Mercedes occasionally has issues, and I was aware of that before I leased one, but one would hope to be treated well by the dealership and the manufacturer when an issue does come up. We were naive to take our salesman's word for it when he dismissed the disposition fee, and our mechanical issues were just "one (or several) of those things". I am, however, peeved at the corporation that freely admits that they would "work with us" if we were loyal. I felt utterly disregarded, even while I was still a customer, and that's the primary reason I am writing off Hyundai. And did I join this forum simply to complain about it? Well, yes. I would not have considered it if someone at HQ had acted like I had mattered as a customer. I envy you the confidence you have in offering loyalty to a brand. I'd like to feel that good about a car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would have went up the chain of command after they went back on their word.

Sometimes in life we get the shaft. I left my high end smartphone in a shopping cart last week. $500 down the drain and its my own fault.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'm confused in any event. You lease (I don't) and you turn it in at the end of the lease or purchase it based on the contracted residual value determined by the contract you signed years ago. So your comment about trading a leased vehicle makes no sense to me. At the end of the day, no dealer will cut you a break under those circumstances.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, a leased car can be traded in anywhere at the end of the lease. As long as the payoff of the lease (residual value) is smaller than the amount a dealer is willing to give you for the car, you can use the difference as down payment on the next car, or even take cash back. I've done it several times. In this case, the agreed upon residual value was higher than the actual value, and even the dealership I bought it from would not pay that amount for the car. Like I said, they made too many of them and deflated the value. Also, this is not an issue with the dealership. They did not go back on any word, and it's not a matter of them cutting me a break. The salesman told me a lie, plain and simple, and the manufacturer is just sticking to fees they can legally charge me, regardless of whether it makes good business sense or not. We could have parted amicably, and I might have considered Hyundai again in the future, but they were short-sighted.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
650 Posts
Resale is pathetic on these cars right now. I test drove a Lexus IS350 two days ago. Trade in value 17k for my 2013 Sonata turbo fully loaded. You kidding me?? It's. 30k dollar car! In one year it's dropped that much. I was extremely disappointed

·
22,788 Posts
I left my high end smartphone in a shopping cart last week. $500 down the drain and its my own fault.
Ouch, that hurts. Back on topic: never leased so I don't have much to offer. Often thought about it but never really understood what was involved, or why. So, I just let the whole idea fade away. As I get longer in the tooth and eventually retire, maybe it's a better deal for me over the long haul. On a lighter note, "Why let the grandkids go to war over why Pa-pa left the ride to so-and-so?" :rolleyes:

·
22,788 Posts
Resale is pathetic on these cars right now. I test drove a Lexus IS350 two days ago. Trade in value 17k for my 2013 Sonata turbo fully loaded. You kidding me?? It's. 30k dollar car! In one year it's dropped that much. I was extremely disappointed
Maybe the dealer's "low-balling" you? Trying to steal your trade? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to someone.

KBB quoted me $21,030 trade-in value on a 2013 turbo, hard-loaded, in Excellent condition. I selected everything but the panoramic roof. Used 20,000 as the mileage. Also used the Boston, Mass ZIP code as I didn't know your particular area.

Have you tried other dealers? Or considered going back with this as ammo and sticking it in his face? Would love to hear his response.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I used KBB and got 17,700 for excellent condition lol. That's just odd.

My car just hit 26k today.

Also I use to be a car salesman so I know all the games. They're not low balling on my Trade, I just never mentioned that number came from KBB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leasing is good for some people, not for others. If you know how much you drive, and can keep it limited, you do not mind never paying a car off, or you change cars frequently anyway, it might be for you. You basically just pay for the depreciation of the car instead of paying for the whole thing. Downsides are the limited mileage (you can pay extra up front for more miles, but you get no credit for turning it in under mileage), the forever payments, and the fees when you give it back (if it's a Hyundai).

And I don't think arruda89 is being low-balled. Check for used 2011 Sonatas for sale online. There are soooo many! 2011 was the first year for this body style, and Hyundai just flooded the market with them without concern for their resale value. Ford did the same thing to me on my '97 Taurus. It was worth nothing after 3 years because of all the used ones (including the rental cars) flooding the market. Hyundai also sells the Sonata for rentals, and at 3 years of age, those are all on the market now.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Look at how many Camrys are on the road, yet they maintain their resale value pretty well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
lmao @ thinking you'll get anywhere near KBB with initial talks. KBB is basically worthless now. Every dealer has their "black book" price.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts