Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first thing I did when I got my elantra was pair up my phone (galaxy s3) and stream some music over bluetooth. The sound was always a little off, particularly the sound of cymbals. I just chalked it up to the crappy stock speakers and dealt with it. Then I installed the infinities, and while there was a definite overall improvement, the odd sound of the cymbals was still there. I eventually tried the same music on a usb stick, and it sounded perfect. I can switch back and forth between my phone and the usb stick and the difference in quality is night & day to me. I had my wife and a few friends listen to the comparison as well, and everyone except for one of my friends was able to tell an obvious difference.

I searched around on here, and found a few people made similar complaints, but I haven't found any good explanations as to why this is happening or if there's any way to resolve it. I did a littler experimenting by playing music through different apps on my phone, pairing up a different phone (galaxy nexus), and messing with volume levels and equalizers. No matter what I do, the bluetooth audio always sounds off. I also used bluetooth in my previous car with an aftermarket stereo (I want to say it was pioneer?) and it always sounded great. I just tried plugging my phone in via the aux port and it sounded perfect there too. All evidence points to this head unit being the problem. So what's the deal? Has anyone else noticed this and tried to resolve it (other than just switching to a usb stick)?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Bluetooth audio qualities typically worse than other sources on any device. We sacrifice quality for convenience. I have been thru multiple phones and in my car Samsung devices tend to have worse bluetooth audio quality than other makes. IPhone 5 probably had best sound and my current MotoX is close to that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have to disagree. My S4 sounds really good over bluetooth. Now I think the Limited upgraded sound system helps but I've gotten several compliments on the sound system in my E considering it's a compact car, and no one expects a really good sounding system. Though I haven't played music through a CD or USB so I can't really compare it with anything but the radio. But I'm impressed with bluetooth streaming and the sound system.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My BT streaming quality is good, if you are used to listening to XM, it actually sounds great!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've used it in my accent with a iphone 5s and so has my wife in her elantra with and iphone 5 sounds perfectly fine to us. My wife uses bluetooth streaming exclusively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to test out a couple things over christmas. I should be able to test my phone on a relative's 2013 elantra limited and I can test someone's iphone 5 on my car.

I should note that the majority of the music sounds pretty good over bluetooth...it's just those cymbals. It kinda sounds like there's clipping going on at the really high frequencies.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
No complaints for me for the sound quality on BT streaming.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Never had any issues with BT streaming. One week after my XM trial ran out, i found out that you can play music through bluetooth, and i've never listened to my radio for more than a minute ever since. I guess it depends on the type of music you listen to, and how much of an audiophile you are, or what you were listening to the music through previously.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have an android install volume+ or viper4android it may cause distortion if used wrong but it sounds 10x better than usb/aux.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an update after all my christmas vacation research and experimenting.

I found some stuff that made it sound like this is android's fault. Here's a giant thread of people complaining about the same sound I'm experiencing
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632
However, that's only for android 4.2. I had android 4.1 when I started all of this, and I was actually able to update to 4.3. Still had the same static/clipping sound though.

I tried my phone in a relative's 2013 elantra limited. Still had the same static/clipping sound.

I tried a relative's iphone 4s in my car. Still had the same static/clipping sound. I tested both my phone and my relative's iphone 4s in his 2011 kia sorento, and they both sounded perfect.

I had even more people listen to the bluetooth in my car. Every single person heard the static/clipping on high frequencies.

After more searching, I found a thread where veloster owners are hearing the same thing with their stereos
BlueTooth Music Static

For everyone that says theirs sounds great, I'd be really interested for you to try comparing the bluetooth to usb. When I did this comparison in my car, it's completely night and day, and everyone I've had listen to it has heard the difference (except 1 person). When I did the same comparison in that 2011 kia sorento, the bluetooth and usb sounded identical. If you guys still insist that it sounds great, then maybe I'll bring it up with the dealer and try to get them to swap out the head unit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here's an update after all my christmas vacation research and experimenting.

I found some stuff that made it sound like this is android's fault. Here's a giant thread of people complaining about the same sound I'm experiencing
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632
However, that's only for android 4.2. I had android 4.1 when I started all of this, and I was actually able to update to 4.3. Still had the same static/clipping sound though.

I tried my phone in a relative's 2013 elantra limited. Still had the same static/clipping sound.

I tried a relative's iphone 4s in my car. Still had the same static/clipping sound. I tested both my phone and my relative's iphone 4s in his 2011 kia sorento, and they both sounded perfect.

I had even more people listen to the bluetooth in my car. Every single person heard the static/clipping on high frequencies.

After more searching, I found a thread where veloster owners are hearing the same thing with their stereos
BlueTooth Music Static

For everyone that says theirs sounds great, I'd be really interested for you to try comparing the bluetooth to usb. When I did this comparison in my car, it's completely night and day, and everyone I've had listen to it has heard the difference (except 1 person). When I did the same comparison in that 2011 kia sorento, the bluetooth and usb sounded identical. If you guys still insist that it sounds great, then maybe I'll bring it up with the dealer and try to get them to swap out the head unit.
I can definitely give it a shot but I'm afraid to haha I'm really happy with how it sounds now over bluetooth and don't want to ruin it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ill have to give the usb a try because when I connect my BT via my galaxy s3 the sound is great. Better than connecting my phone via aux. The only problem is the sounds system itself because it lacks a little bass, but overall I am satisfy with BT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok so I just tried my usb and BT and they both sound equally the same. Are you using the stock music player in your galaxy s3 and is the sound turn up to level 15?

The one advantage of usb is that it shows the title of the track thats being played, which BT did that...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have a Galaxy S3 as well, and use it with a Jambox with none of those issues. Used to listen to Pandora through the Elantra's BT and never noticed anything either. Between XM and the USB drive I have no need to use the phone for anything other than phone functions anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I just tried my usb and BT and they both sound equally the same. Are you using the stock music player in your galaxy s3 and is the sound turn up to level 15?

The one advantage of usb is that it shows the title of the track thats being played, which BT did that...
I tried several different apps on the S3. All of them sounded the same. I tried messing with volume levels and equalizer settings on the phone, but nothing got rid of the high frequency clipping/static. Thanks for testing it out. I think I'm gonna go talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reason for this is that the bluetooth is not hardwired to the stereo, but goes over an FM modulator/transmitter when turned on. It doesn't have anything to do with lowering audio on the device. They went a super cheap route.

To prove this pick up a bluetooth dongle like the gogroove bluetooth audio adapter and plug it into the aux port and you will see a complete difference in the sound quality over bluetooth.

Hyundai dropped the ball on this big time for audiophiles.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Today we sacrifice sound quality with convenience. Even mp3's are bad but they are the norm now. Where is the crystal sound of vinyl? what about the sound of a CD? all the kids out there don't know what sound quality is in music, they all listen to mp3 (compressed) music on their phone with headphones. A friend of mine has an expensive home HI-FI sound system in a special room for it and he had me listen to some vinyl's and CDs. I could not believe what I heard, pure music, what a delight it was for my ears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason for this is that the bluetooth is not hardwired to the stereo, but goes over an FM modulator/transmitter when turned on. It doesn't have anything to do with lowering audio on the device. They went a super cheap route.

To prove this pick up a bluetooth dongle like the gogroove bluetooth audio adapter and plug it into the aux port and you will see a complete difference in the sound quality over bluetooth.

Hyundai dropped the ball on this big time for audiophiles.
Plugging something into the aux port isn't going to prove anything other than that the aux port of the stereo works fine.

I have a really hard time believing that the hyundai stereo is is decoding the bluetooth signal and then transmitting it back to itself via FM. That just seems like an ultimate engineering hack. I tried searching around for more evidence of this, but couldn't find anything. I've also used FM adapters before and the resulting sound is nothing like what I'm hearing in my elantra.

My theory right now is that their firmware just plain sucks. All of my research has determined that it's pretty easy to mess up the firmware for bluetooth, both on the encoding and decoding side, and this often results in the exact type of sound that I'm hearing. I'm still working on getting the dealer to try to do something about it. But apparently, they don't work very hard for the several weeks after christmas :closedeyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts