Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first vehicle I've owned with ABS/TCS and I absolutely hate it. Aside from the fact that it's incredibly annoying when it activates, it eliminates my ability to feel the road surface when braking or accelerating. Is there a way to disable this horrible system (pulling fuses, perhaps)?

I've been driving for 40+ years in snow and ice and have never needed ABS/TCS, so please don't lecture me about the wonders of modern automotive electronics. I know how to handle these conditions and having a computer separate me from the road is not beneficial.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
12,635 Posts
Hello Brian.

I wont bore you with the wonders of modern automotive electronics, but I don't think disabling the ABS will make the car feel any different.

But if you insist on trying it, pulling the ABS1 fuse will certainly disable the ABS/ESC system but who knows what other effects it might have on other systems. If the car has electric power steering for example that usually shares sensor data with the ABS/ESC so you could end up with very heavy steering making the car practically undriveable. You'll also get constant ABS/ESC warning lights on the instrument cluster when the system is disabled. Not much you can do about that I'm afraid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick and thorough response.

Before I saw your post, I found the 10A fuse marked "ABS" under the hood (#13 in the diagram in the box). Pulling that fuse disables the ABS/TCS, exactly as I hoped. When braking or accelerating on a loose surface, it feels like a "normal" car, which is a relief. I can finally feel what's going on at the road surface.

However, it has some other side-effects:

• The ABS, ECS and Brake lights on the dash come on. I expected the first two, as you mentioned, but not the Brake light.
  • The steering response feels different, as if it's no longer speed-sensitive. It actually feels lighter, not heavy as you suspected.
  • The throttle response is more abrupt, which is quite noticeable when getting on or backing off the throttle. This was definitely unexpected. Is there an electronic throttle damper of some sort?
While I can live with the lights, the other effects are less acceptable. I may end up putting the fuse back in and either:

• Unplugging the ABS module (and carefully capping both sides)
or...

• Pulling the ABS1 (40A) fuse and/or the ABS2 (20A) fuse
If nothing else, it will be interesting to see the difference in the effects.

·
Registered
12,635 Posts
I suggested ABS1 fuse because that usually only supplies power to the ABS pump motor and doesn't power any of the sensors, AFAIK.
The 10A fuse will power the electronics which probably includes the ESC sensors.

Before pulling any fuses, did you try switching off the ESC? I'd imagine it'll be the ESC that changes the feel of the car rather than the ABS, which doesn't really do anything most of the time....unless you slam on the brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the details on the fuses; I'll try the ABS1 fuse next. I did try to pull it this morning, but it didn't want to budge. It's quite cold here currently and I didn't want to get too aggressive and risk breaking it.

The ESC is not really an issue for me, or at least I don't think it is. My main issue is the problems ABS causes under very low traction conditions (snow, ice and mud), such as dramatically increased braking distances. TCS is annoying since at times under really low traction conditions it feels like the car is tied to a tree. It's less dangerous that the ABS problems, but it's nearly gotten me into trouble when attempting to pull out of slippery intersections where good traction is inches away but the car barely moves because one front tire is on snow, slush or ice and the TCS will not allow tire spin that would clear it away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Autospark, your recommendation was spot on! After pulling the ABS1 fuse, the ABS/TCS/ESC system is disabled, but everything else functions normally, which is exactly what I wanted. I can live with the ABS and ESC warning lights; they'll serve as a reminder to reinstall the fuse in the spring when I get the car inspected.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Last week we had a Nor'easter so I had a good test of my snow tires coming home from work. With my old Accord, I could blow by everyone when the light changed due to superior traction. The Elantra had seemed the same but when the road was slippery the traction control kicked in just when I thought I was going to blow by everyone. WTF. It wasn't computing or I wasn't. No wheel spin detected, yet no acceleration. Everyone is going by me..... Traction control on a standard.. I had to relearn how to drive and I'm an old man.

What I have learned from driving cars with ABS and TC is that dam computer can sense the road surface faster than I can. I think your stopping distance is longer in snow letting ABS do its thing instead of manually modulating the brakes. So I let the ABS tell me I'm in a low traction situation and back off instead of inducing a skid to let me know. ABS doesn't stop you from pumping the brakes. The thing I really do like about ABS is the ability to brake while turning. A huge advantage.

Same with traction control. It lets you know when the wheels are loosing traction. Letting the tires spin with front wheel drive is dangerous since you loose steering control. So the TC keeps you honest. I found that shifting up a gear or two helped reduce the tendency to spin. So no more free wheeling. Hmm...I wonder if you can do reverse donuts?

You are turning off this stuff when it is needed most.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Push the button on the the dash to turn off Traction control..

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I found that shifting up a gear or two helped reduce the tendency to spin.
Provided you don't treat the throttle like it owes you money, the manual shift mode will also let you start out in second gear. Goose it too hard and it'll drop back to 1st.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the details on the fuses; I'll try the ABS1 fuse next. I did try to pull it this morning, but it didn't want to budge. It's quite cold here currently and I didn't want to get too aggressive and risk breaking it.

The ESC is not really an issue for me, or at least I don't think it is. My main issue is the problems ABS causes under very low traction conditions (snow, ice and mud), such as dramatically increased braking distances. TCS is annoying since at times under really low traction conditions it feels like the car is tied to a tree. It's less dangerous that the ABS problems, but it's nearly gotten me into trouble when attempting to pull out of slippery intersections where good traction is inches away but the car barely moves because one front tire is on snow, slush or ice and the TCS will not allow tire spin that would clear it away.
I feel.the exact same.way the abs sytem.is flat out junk it clunks lumps.and slides you into traffic god.forbid you do really have to jack the brakes under **** conditions your gonna hit somebody i have a 2012 accent hatchback its a good daily car besdies this.is.the first winter and it for sure needs studded snow.tires.for.sure even when you turn off the traction control.button it still.does not fully shut down its still.does thag dumb ass ;;bop bop bop even when full throttle it cuts the wheel spinning its.just **** and does not play a single.good role.in helping that car but i didnt realize pulling the fuse.was..going to.disable a bunch of other shitn2 wasnhoping i couldmjust pull themtraction comtrol.. fuse.done deal.nut guess not

·
Registered
44 Posts
Push the traction control button once will turn traction control. Holding the button for 5 seconds will turn of stability control according to this video. Perhaps this will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts