Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 2.7L Tucson AWD gets terrible mileage. My old Subaru had a fuse that you could pull out that essentialy turned it into FWD only. Since there are only a couple of months out of the year that I really need AWD, I was wondering if there was a similar ability with the Tucson and, if so, would it make any noticeable difference in the mileage? In the Subaru, I noticed a 2-3 mpg increase. Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE (Unclestanky @ Oct 26 2009, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=273888
My '05 2.7L Tucson AWD gets terrible mileage. My old Subaru had a fuse that you could pull out that essentialy turned it into FWD only. Since there are only a couple of months out of the year that I really need AWD, I was wondering if there was a similar ability with the Tucson and, if so, would it make any noticeable difference in the mileage? In the Subaru, I noticed a 2-3 mpg increase. Thanks!
Hi
The Tucson although 4 wd only uses 2wd and brings the other 2 in when its needed ie wheels slip etc. Its an intelligent 4wd and this is fully electronic and cannot be partially disabled.

Ref your fuel first clear the memory on the computer by taking off a battery terminal and then sit in cab for 5-10 min without it switched on pumping the brake pedal this clears the memory- stick the terminal back on and take it out for a 20 mile ride using the best places to go without traf lights etc such as a freeway. take it up to the top gear by modestly pushing down on the loud pedal and then cruise around 50/60 then take it home this way the ecm will have learned a different way to drive and fuel consumption should now be a bit better.
Keep an eye on tyre pressures and if not inconvenient only fill up to half a tank at a time say 30 litres as then you are not towing round all that dead weight.
You should be better off (I hope), the leaded boot is the most dangerous part of the fuel consumption issue of which I am certain you are aware.

Cheers

Itza

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here's an explanation of how the AWD system works in the Tucson up to 2009

As quoted from this article at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4WD

"The Borg-Warner ITM 3e is also used in the 2006-now Hyundai Santa Fe and the Hyundai Tucson. In the Hyundais, the ITM 3e acts like an full-time AWD with 95:5 normal torque split. In extreme conditions the system can be locked in a 50:50 split via the 4WD LOCK button."

So it is never fully disengaged, probably why it's rough on gas. I seem to remember from the orig. sales literature that it actually is a 90/10 torque split, not 95/5 as stated here, but I can't prove it. Either way, the bottom line is there's always some driveline drag.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a fuse for that! (US version 2.7)

I took it out for the same reason just to see if there was an improvement. Other than the fact that you can no longer trigger the 4wd manually, I dont see/ feel/ or pay any difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts