Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And no... is NOT to avoid using the seatbelts. I DO wear them. Mainly to avoid getting a ticket, but wear them ..chimes or not.

But there are times when not having seatbelts on is not a safety risk:

1) sitting in parked, idling car
2) driving through parking lot at 10 mph
3) parking the car, etc...

If there is a fuse dedicated only to the chime, would want to just remove that. But something tells me it won’t be that easy.

And my 2015 Elantra would chime for awhile, but not forever like the 2018 does.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I'll still be using the seatbelts and that would be an extra step to go through (to remove or put back the plug). Still don't get why they couldn't have put the chime on a timer the way it was before.

If you really intended to use your seat belt and just momentarily forgot, that would be sufficient to remind you. And if you didn't, you'll just wait awhile for the sound to stop.

Having it chime indefinitely serves neither option.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
9,159 Posts
Thanks, but I'll still be using the seatbelts and that would be an extra step to go through (to remove or put back the plug). Still don't get why they couldn't have put the chime on a timer the way it was before.

If you really intended to use your seat belt and just momentarily forgot, that would be sufficient to remind you. And if you didn't, you'll just wait awhile for the sound to stop.

Having it chime indefinitely serves neither option.
I've never had a car where the chime went off if you didn't buckle up. Both the Hyundais I have now will only sound if you start moving then it's a ~60 second or so delay repeats.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
You may be able to take the seat out and look at the seat belt latch connector. Probably just needs to be jumpered at the car end of the wire. Then the car will think the seat belt is always plugged in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the idea, but much as I'd like to silence the chime, removing the seat seems kind of drastic to me.

Am wondering if there's any chance there is a timed setting for the chime, that's currently set to be always on, and can be changed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't asked them yet. Am supposed to bring it in for my Bluetooth issue (is another thread in this forum... I'll spare you the details here), and will ask them then.

But from what I've experienced so far, they are very reluctant to tell you how to disable anything, even if it's something easily reversible (like removing the fuse for the trunk, to be 100 percent sure it can't open unintentionally via oversensitive remote). They showed me, but very reluctantly.

Can't say I blame them. Just wish it wasn't that way.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
You should ask if there are any timer settings they see in the GDS software. They will not disable it but there may be a timer or vehicle in motion option.

But that will probably cost a diagnostic fee, last time i was in it was $150. But if they are already connected for something else it should be no extra charge.

Other than that you already have the do it yourself answers.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Been living with this alarm for over 30 years now, first the driver's seat only now the front passenger seat, ha, left the rear seat alone for now.

Just fasten the darn seat belt, modifications may lead to zero insurance coverage if you start to modify.

Ha, was given an airplane type seat belt that I installed in my modified 54 Olds back in 57, buddies thought that was really cool. Key reason, if I took a left turn too fast with that super wide smooth front seat, would find myself seating in the passenger side.

Been using belts ever since, in the 60's, could buy aftermarket ones.

Really don't need an alarm, but our government thinks so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yesterday, when I got into the car to drive home from work, I left the belt unfastened and no chime. Then fastened it, and then unfastened a few minutes later and still no chime. I thought there must be some circumstances where it doesn't chime and if I can determine what they are, can maybe target best way to fix.

But later on, after I had refastened the belt, it DID chime again when unfastened. Ironically, it does NOT sound when I first start the car and pull away without fastening the belt (for test purposes), but when I have later parked the car and am still sitting there with the motor running, the chime goes on indefinitely. Wouldn't it be more important for a chime to remind you that you have accidentally forgotten to put the belt on, than to confirm you had deliberately and conciously unfastened it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have a problem with the seatbelt chime unless I have something in the passenger seat. I generally notice it if I have work files or groceries in the seat. The chime will sound for about 30 seconds before finally going off.

My seatbelt doesn't chime when I pull over unless i release it before I have completely stopped.

I also notice the seatbelt doesn't chime until I leave my parking lot and accelerate to the point the door locks lock.

I just have to remember to fasten the passenger seatbelt when I have large files or groceries in the passenger seat.....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I use the dumy buckles for $4 for the pair from wish dot com. So cheap why not? It also solves the chime when you place heavy groceries in passenger seat. :grin2:
By groceries do you really mean fast food? Haha I kid. I never understood the type that place groceries in the front passenger seat. Eh, I suppose perhaps maybe they’re the type that buys everything in bulk with their trunk fully utilized. Again, I kid.

I have the Sport model and I can place one of those longer water bottles/phone/random small items w/o the seat chime warning going off. I have noticed every other Elantra AD platform with the opposite effect. Maybe it has something to do with the leather seats not sagging as much as vehicles with cloth seats when objects are placed there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never had a car where the chime went off if you didn't buckle up. Both the Hyundais I have now will only sound if you start moving then it's a ~60 second or so delay repeats.
Is it a 60 second delay? Because mine seems to go off as soon as I hit 10 MPH.

Every day at work I take my seatbelt off when I go into the underground garage. Since I need to put my badge on the card reader. So it's easier to put up to the reader with my seat belt off. And I noticed that my seat belt chime would take different amounts of time before it came on. Then I realized it seemed to come on as soon as I hit 10 miles per hour. Which explained why sometimes it never went off by the time I parked in my spot. And sometimes it would go off within a few seconds of entering the garage.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.