Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2013 Santa Fe and was considering adding a remote starter until the salesman informed me about the remote start feature within Blue Link. The only problem is the Blue Link remote start also flashes the parking lights, essentially advertising the fact that there is a started vehicle with no occupants around. Can the parking lights be disabled from the Blue Link Remote? Wish I got the traditional remote is this can be fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Remote start

The remote start on Bluelink only works when the car is locked. So regardless of the blinking lights a would-be thief could not (1) open the doors or (2) drive off with the car without the fob. The advantages of Bluelink are unlimited distance (you could start the car from your office in a high rise building for instance) and no custom installation. the advantages of an OEM or aftermarket remote start would be savings of the Bluelink annual subscription.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not sure if 2013 would be the same but on my 2011 with OEM remote start, the hazard flashed every few minutes to let me know it was running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree this is annoying. I usually leave for work at 5am and the sun isn't up yet. Flashing hazards are incredibly obnoxious to both me and the neighbors (close townhouses).... Wish this could be disabled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just traded my Toyota for the new Santa Fe. I also do not like the flashing parking lights and wish I could disable them as well. My Toyota's hazard lights would come on when my car started but they were not as bright or annoying as the parking lights flashing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The same thing happens in my Sonata and I can't stand it. I'm not worried about someone knowing that the car is on and trying to steal it, I'm worried about the super bright lights flashing into the bedrooms of my neighbors at 5am.

This one "feature" alone will cause me to not renew bluelink.

Why did they do this and not allow it to be disabled?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The flashing hazards indicate the vehicle is running and unattended. I'm not the least bit worried about anyone driving away with the car. What I am worried about is the scumbag that realizes that it's unattended and decides to see what's inside for the smash and grab taking. The hazards draw unnecessary attention to the vehicle; that's the bottom line. There is simply no good reason for them to flash that I can think of.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The same thing happens in my Sonata and I can't stand it. I'm not worried about someone knowing that the car is on and trying to steal it, I'm worried about the super bright lights flashing into the bedrooms of my neighbors at 5am.

This one "feature" alone will cause me to not renew bluelink.

Why did they do this and not allow it to be disabled?
Excellent point. I'm not an IT person, but might Hyundai be able to make a software change to correct this?
John

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 2012 Azera does this aswel. Freaking hate it. My lunch pals always give me crap. Oh look at mr fancy pants and his remote start. Im like, you like the cold cabin in this Florida heat dont you? Really, it draws attention to it. Ie.. a crook is scoping out parking lot and sees the flashing lights and then sees a possible target to rob (person or car). Just asking for issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So now that everyone has had there Santa Fe for a while...
Is anyone else annoyed with parking lights flashing when you remote start?
Has anyone talked to the dealers about this?
Just had mine in for service and had such a long list of things I forgot to ask about this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The flashing hazards indicate the vehicle is running and unattended. I'm not the least bit worried about anyone driving away with the car. What I am worried about is the scumbag that realizes that it's unattended and decides to see what's inside for the smash and grab taking. The hazards draw unnecessary attention to the vehicle; that's the bottom line. There is simply no good reason for them to flash that I can think of.
:amen:

It's looks completely goofy to have my vehicle idling in my driveway with the 4-way flashers blazing! WTF! :wallbash:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have asked at the dealer about disabling it and they say at this time they cannot do it. I have complained and the service department said they have passed on the complaint. I just had the neighbor call to see if I needed help since my car lights were flashing:) I can't wait to pass this on to the dealer next week when I get my seat fixed!! Someone stated that they would not renew blue link because of this...my question to the dealer will be..if I change to a different style of remote start will the flashers still flash anyway?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Easy solution. Unless the dealer is able to or even authorized to modify the software (I strongly doubt it), he will not modify the vehicle for you.
Having said that, you'll need the wiring diagram of your model and find the signal wire coming from the BCM (Body Control Module). In my case (Sonata '06) it's pin 9 which goes to the Passenger Compartment Relay Box pin 3.
The simple way is to just install a toggle switch to interrupt that signal. The downside is that you'd have to remember to turn it off when you leave the vehicle and turn it back on when you reenter. What essentially you're doing is disabling any flasher function.
To make this function automatic, I would use a relay and use the "key presence" signal to enable/disable that relay. Whatever that polarity is, use the opposite for the other side of the coil. Again, you'll need the electrical manual for your vehicle to locate that/those wire(s).

Caution: The way I have described it here also disables any 4-way flasher function when you need the hazards to come on without a key. To get around that, you can add a manual toggle switch for a deliberate override.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed...hate the bright flashing lights. It is incessant, and a few flashes on long intervals would suffice. Come on Hyundai...upgrade the options for the next vehicle reflash, and let us users set our preferences when it comes to this function and few others that need to be tweekable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea and try adding the feature that when you remote start from Bluelink it will automatically lock the doors if thy are unlocked! Seems simple! Very annoying when you wait 2 mins for the app to start the car and it fails because your car is unlocked! The sad thing is you can lock the car from the app so how hard would it be to add in the lock command before the start? My wife's Chevy equinox will lock the car for you if you go to start it and it's unlocked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
this blue link sucks. like I mentioned in another post I have installed over 50 remote starters in cars over the years and this is the first time I came across the headlights flashing when the car is running. in every unit I have installed you have the option to have the lights on off parking on off flash once but to keep flashing that is the stupidest thing I have come across in a long time from the factory or port installed. also as mentioned every remote starter has the option to lock or not to lock the doors. but not have ever made me loc the doors before the car started. so if they require this then the car should do it automatically and not require you to go to another Internet button to lock the doors the start the car. and I don't know about you people but I think that blue link web site is junk. it makes me click past the for better use you should have the web browsers page over and over again. one time I was on the phone with a rep and she tried to coach me through the pages and it took 15 tries to get past that page. and to the dashboard over and over. I canceled the subscription after that day. way to much money for that terrible service.

·
Banned
730 Posts
it makes me click past the for better use you should have the web browsers page over and over again. one time I was on the phone with a rep and she tried to coach me through the pages and it took 15 tries to get past that page. and to the dashboard over and over. I canceled the subscription after that day. way to much money for that terrible service.
Huh?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts