Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information as to disabling the hybrid motor, thereby using just the gas engine alone?
With the disastrously poor performance of my 2011 Sonata Hybrid and resultant poor mileage (to date: 26 mpg best, with 28,000 miles), I would opt to bypass the hybrid function altogether for better drivability and most likely better mileage. I asked a Hyundai mechanic above question and he stated that the car would not run under such a scenario. As I have no faith or trust in Hyundai, I cannot believe him.
So, is it possible to run a hybrid without the assistance of the hybrid motor?

At this point, I don't care about voiding warranty as Hyundai's warranty has proven to have less value or validity than the paper it's printed on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
You wont be able to run this vehicle at all, or any hybrid for that matter, without the HEV battery.

That sucks. 26mpg is pretty low as I have driven my sonata like a total a-hole at times with no consideration for gas mileage and never came close to that low of average mpg/tank . Some other guy on this forum a while back complained about poor mileage like you. I assume he ended up selling it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Does anyone have information as to disabling the hybrid motor, thereby using just the gas engine alone?
With the disastrously poor performance of my 2011 Sonata Hybrid and resultant poor mileage (to date: 26 mpg best, with 28,000 miles), I would opt to bypass the hybrid function altogether for better drivability and most likely better mileage. I asked a Hyundai mechanic above question and he stated that the car would not run under such a scenario. As I have no faith or trust in Hyundai, I cannot believe him.

At this point, I don't care about voiding warranty as Hyundai's warranty has proven to have less value or validity than the paper it's printed on.

Thanks!
:00000732:
No way possible that I know of to drive with ICE only. Get the update and run some short 10 mile tests to see if you have a bad performing car or it's your driving style.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

Make sure you complaign about your poor mileage and that it jerks when it's cold.

Ten mile fairly flat freeway track results at different speeds with Hyundai Oil, tires at 40 psi, cruise control and ac on 74 deg with 70 deg weather. Avg MPG reset before each run with a warmed up ICE:

65 mph = 42.2 mpg
62 mph = 47.3 mpg
60 mph = 53.7, 49.9 mpg
55 mph = 50.0 mpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Thanks!
If you are serious about this situation and not baiting us here, you must have this TSB performed at your dealer. INSIST that they perform this to fix driving performance:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
You wont be able to run this vehicle at all, or any hybrid for that matter, without the HEV battery.
And anyway it's a bad idea.

The ICE in a hybrid car usually isn't sufficient to make the car work acceptably by itself.

The performance AND gas mileage would plummet from bad to terrible.

If you REALLY hate the car that much, trade it in on something else.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Thanks!
probably a troll but here is my input. what kind of driving do you do? I went from a 20 mile commute to about a 7 mile commute. I would get close to 40mpg on the longer commute. moved closer to work and now I get about 29 before the update on average. If I take a road trip mpg goes back up to 40. Short trips will kill mpg. I'm happy averaging 30mpg in a full size car on short commutes that drives nicely and has the power I want when necessary. I gave up hypermiling on the short commute and drive aggressively and the car responds nicely and looks awesome too. the mpg estimate is an estimate and depends on numerous factors.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Beyond Bad

And anyway it's a bad idea.

The ICE in a hybrid car usually isn't sufficient to make the car work acceptably by itself.

The performance AND gas mileage would plummet from bad to terrible.

If you REALLY hate the car that much, trade it in on something else.
This is possibly THE dumbest thread ever posted on this forum.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Stating the obvious here:
The hybrid has no alternator and no starter. To see how far the car gets without the hybrid battery, pull the little trap door off the battery pack and throw the kill switch. What you end up with is a small studio apartment on wheels with no kitchen, no bath, and after half a day, no lights.
Easier solution:
- Find a dealer willing to apply the TSB that was released in June.
- Head over to Wayne's site and read the Beating the EPA article - the link is in the upper right quadrant of the home page.

I took a friend out in his HSH - he's doing city driving and averaging 21-22mpg. He asked me to drive it to make sure there was nothing wrong with the car. So I reset the mpg display and drove it on a four mile traffic loop with the A/C on and four flat tires ("flat tire" is any tire at less than 35psi), and was at 60.8mpg after three miles. Then I switched over to aggressive driving and got it back down to 37.8 (EPA is 37) to illustrate the difference that driving makes.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Page 2 is mine !!

Stating the obvious here:
The hybrid has no alternator and no starter.
Ehhh, think again with a slant to it.. correct name for said single component is "stater/generator"... it is a 270 volt device used for spinning the gas engine to start it, and then becomes a 270 volt generator.

To see how far the car gets without the hybrid battery, pull the little trap door off the battery pack and throw the kill switch.
Mis-information here,, there is no "throw kill switch".. behind that trap door is a "service connector",, you unlock it and remove it to dis-able the 270 battery, and cut the battery pack voltage in approx 1/2 to make it safer to service.

What you end up with is a small studio apartment on wheels with no kitchen, no bath, and after half a day, no lights.
I can agree, just becomes a confined living space
Install the update package (Version 2) and see what happen

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are serious about this situation and not baiting us here, you must have this TSB performed at your dealer. INSIST that they perform this to fix driving performance:
To what end would I be baiting anyone? This vehicle has been a disaster from day one and I've gotten nothing more from Hyundai than condescending pats on the head. They have no intention of fixing this car, nor do they care.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! The conclusion that many on this forum are coming to is that my post is somehow not real. It seems outlandish, I know. When I tell my friends about this car and how I've been treated at Hyundai, they cannot believe it either. But sadly it's true.
As to the updates, of course I've had the vehicle updated, to no avail. Hyundai tells me to sit in the corner quietly and wait for their "engineers to come up with 'a fix'!"
When I have a mechanic drive with me and the car stutters and hesitates as if it's running out of gas, he denies that he feels it, as if alerted to the issue and has been told to keep his mouth shut.
I got a lemon and Hyundai won't make good on it; obviously the Sonata is proving to be a good vehicle but they won't admit that I have either a bad synergy between batt and engine or a faulty transmission. And that makes Hyundai an irresponsible corporation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think anyone here truly believes that your post is not real. While if i was in your situation I would be pretty pissed off too and that is understandable. If you would like to continue to chat with all of us here, I think you will find that a lot of us have pretty good knowledge and some on here are Hyundai vehicle service techs that are willing to advise.

Based on what you are saying, your experience with the dealer you are going to is rather poor and I would have left that dealer and seeked for another opinion elsewhere.

What has this dealer done for you in regards to software updates on your sonata?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think anyone here truly believes that your post is not real. While if i was in your situation I would be pretty pissed off too and that is understandable. If you would like to continue to chat with all of us here, I think you will find that a lot of us have pretty good knowledge and some on here are Hyundai vehicle service techs that are willing to advise.

Based on what you are saying, your experience with the dealer you are going to is rather poor and I would have left that dealer and seeked for another opinion elsewhere.

What has this dealer done for you in regards to software updates on your sonata?
I just had the vehicle in last week. The issues were continued and persistent poor mileage (26 mpg tops at 29,000 miles) and rough acceleration (vehicle sputters and almost stalls at every take-off as if fuel or oxygen starved).
Vehicle was up to date on software updates and service manager stated updates would not address drivability issues.
I should note that I am well versed on driving a hybrid i.e. hypermiling, drifting, EV mode et al. What is most frustrating is that Hyundai, both at the dealer and corporate level, will not even consider that this vehicle could possibly be faulty. They're stated solutions are: wait for "a fix" or "the engine needs to break in," even with 29,000 miles.
Thanks for your time, all. Clearly though this is not the thread to continue posting above issues; it obviously offends and is not well received. I've got my hands full with Hyundai, I don't need another arena for yet another campaign.
Regards

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just had the vehicle in last week. The issues were continued and persistent poor mileage (26 mpg tops at 29,000 miles) and rough acceleration (vehicle sputters and almost stalls at every take-off as if fuel or oxygen starved).
Vehicle was up to date on software updates and service manager stated updates would not address drivability issues.
I should note that I am well versed on driving a hybrid i.e. hypermiling, drifting, EV mode et al. What is most frustrating is that Hyundai, both at the dealer and corporate level, will not even consider that this vehicle could possibly be faulty. They're stated solutions are: wait for "a fix" or "the engine needs to break in," even with 29,000 miles.
Thanks for your time, all. Clearly though this is not the thread to continue posting above issues; it obviously offends and is not well received. I've got my hands full with Hyundai, I don't need another arena for yet another campaign.
Regards
The 'Sonata YF Hybrid' forum where you are at is the right place to talk about the technical issues you are having with your car.

The first issue I see here is that your said your dealer states that

"Vehicle was up to date on software updates and service manager stated updates would not address drivability issues."

That is not even close to being correct. The latest software update, TSB # FL-13-004 specifically addresses driveability issues.

Do you even have any service or work orders from a dealer that state the latest software TSB update FL-13-004 was applied? Cause if you do not, then you really need to get that addressed at the dealer at the very LEAST. I assume you are the first owner of this car.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Hyundai tells me to sit in the corner quietly and wait for their "engineers to come up with 'a fix'!"
Does your state have a "lemon law" ?
If so, you might want to look into that.

HOWEVER......
With selling literally millions of vehicles to millions of customers, there is bound to be a few people that just DON'T LIKE the feel of the newer technology cars, especially hybrids. They drive differently; they make different noises and jerky feels. To some degree, they ALL are like that.

Now.....we have no way to tell which category that you fall into.
Real problem or just perceived problem with the "new normal".

IF the vehicle is going to bother you to the point of obsession so that dealing with it has a negative impact on your quality of life......and it sounds like it IS......then you should sell it or trade it in on something different. And take several LONG test drives in the new one and convince yourself that you really can live with any quirks that it has.

Sometimes it really IS better to run away than fight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just because the vehicle indicates that it has the latest updates doesn't necessarily mean that those updates were applied properly. I am having much the same issues you are having with a Cadillac that has had software updates applied. The issue in my case is that the first time the updates were applied, the update failed (acknowledged by the service department) and then has been reapplied multiple times to no avail. The trick is getting the service department/manufacturer to acknowledge that this is a problem and replace what needs to be replaced to remedy the issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To what end would I be baiting anyone? This vehicle has been a disaster from day one and I've gotten nothing more from Hyundai than condescending pats on the head. They have no intention of fixing this car, nor do they care.
Unfortunately, when somebody is not in front of you, their inhibitions go out the window. So, it's nothing for somebody to call the OP a possible troll, and then go on to give advice in the event that they're on the level.

I can concur with your Hyundai experience, some people's experience and their cars have been stellar, especially after the current multi-ecu campaign that you have to ask for by ensisting your drivability issues are there, and you may have to leave your car overnight so they can experience the cold-engine behavior all 2011-12 HSH's exhibited to greater or lesser degree before this latest reflash. If this dealer says no, go somewhere else, open a case with the corporate jokers, keep making noise. This reflash should be a mandatory recall, not a TSB you have to kiss ass for. Ford, for example, is offering a hybrid reflash for all its owners, no ass kissing required.

I can't speak to the exact benefit of the reflash because I no longer own my 2012. But if the responses of almost all owners here are any indication, I would have the car reflashed and then access if the drivability and gas mileage has improved enough to warrant keeping the car.

Good luck, and make sure you walk in armed with the campaign number for this multi-ecu update, and take it to the level of the dealer service manager if the service writers begin jacking you off.

I recently had multiple clicks all the way down and back up the travel of brake pedal in my 2010 Infiniti G37X coupe, and when I walked it, the service writer sat in it for one second and stepped on the brake once. Then he said it's normal. I simply responded that what I'm referring to is not the single click of the brake/shift interlock, and if wants to treat me like an idiot, I can reciprocate, starting with "I want to talk to your service manager or director. At that point, he sat in my car for about two minutes and kept depressing the brake pedal, clearly hearing what I was complaining about. An hour later, he brought me my keys and told me the master tech ordered a new master brake cylinder and booster, and it would be safe to drive until the part arrives. The point is even "quasi-upscale" manufacturers like Infiniti (Nissan) will go out of their way to treat you poorly and shirk a valid warranty claim. Then I hear the Infiniti sales manager crying about how the only part his dealer network that's keeping the doors open for the Infiniti store is Kia and Nissan. I can just imagine what some of these Equus owners are up against, and soon when Kia rolls out their version of the Equus just as they have rolled out the Cadenza.

I've heard horror stories even with Lexus. It's just that you have a better chance of getting good initial quality and a car that will remain tight 3-5 years in. With the Germans, be prepared to put out for extended warranty or trade just as warranty runs out.

For the moment, I'm driving a '14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring what's not a space rocket 9184 HP/185 TQ), but also no slug due to the linear torque curve,. I'n averaging 32 mpg from a non-hybrid, non-TDI drivetrain, and I love the rock solid feel and handling as most reviews concur. Perfect, hardly, but I real enjoy the car. We'll see how I feel in a year or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow! The conclusion that many on this forum are coming to is that my post is somehow not real. It seems outlandish, I know. When I tell my friends about this car and how I've been treated at Hyundai, they cannot believe it either. But sadly it's true.
As to the updates, of course I've had the vehicle updated, to no avail. Hyundai tells me to sit in the corner quietly and wait for their "engineers to come up with 'a fix'!"
When I have a mechanic drive with me and the car stutters and hesitates as if it's running out of gas, he denies that he feels it, as if alerted to the issue and has been told to keep his mouth shut.
I got a lemon and Hyundai won't make good on it; obviously the Sonata is proving to be a good vehicle but they won't admit that I have either a bad synergy between batt and engine or a faulty transmission. And that makes Hyundai an irresponsible corporation.
if you really want to get your voice out to the world and don't want others to experience the living **** like you had
perhaps you might want to warn other Hyundai owners on which Hyundai dealership to avoid
based on what i read from your comments, it seems like you need to report this to your local news channel and hire a lawyer to file a law sue
keep us up to date, if Hyundai is this bad like you believe, i am sure you are not alone on this...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts