Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search for this and found nothing. I assume I need to cut a wire on the body computer? Where is that located? Would like to use the auto function on headlights without having the DRL's come on in the daytime. TIA!

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're not sure where the computer is located, I probably wouldn't try to just cut any wires. Have you though about just... unplugging them? I'm not sure if this would throw a code on your dash. But it sure beats trying to cut harness wires

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
My Limited has a four position switch, first position is off, everything is off. Second is Auto, just leave it there so my wife does not get confused. DRL's are LED, draw very little current.

Third position for reference, only the parking lights are on, forth, everything is on, well except for the headlights, engine has to be running first. before they will come on.

Never cared for dome lights, ha, don't want to give away my position. Could cut the wires off on these, but easier just to switch them off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just prefer to have my lights off in the daytime. No LED's on my particular vehicle (I have an SE with basic standard lighting) but that is not the reason I would like them off. Yes I can just use the off position on the light switch but would like to use the auto headlights function but without the DRL function. I was under the impression they used the high beam bulb for the DRL on most cars so I did not think I could just unplug the bulb or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you do not have the LED DRL's, then they do use the high beam bulbs at a lower power. To cut any wires would be to disable the high beam bulbs and possibly cause error messages

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Other versions of DRL's connected the high beams in series, first using all relay logic, takes a very experience technician to trouble shoot these things with a disadvantage of having no high beams at all.

Then this chore was passed over to the BCM, have to be able to change the firmware, not easy unless you have access to the source code and a corresponding compiler. Elantra DRL's are completely independent of the headlights, in this guys opinion, a very common sense design.

Least in the Elantra, can switch them off, ha, with all my other vehicles, I even had to switch the headlights on, and not forgot to switch them off.

Every state has laws when your headlights should be switched on, not so with the Elantra, just leave it in auto and does all this for you.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Looks like this is not configurable on this generation of the Elantra.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the BCM module is the major issue. Otherwise it would be a cake walk. Guess I'll just continue to do it manually. SO glad Subaru doesn't do DRL's. I think a WRX is in my future. I used to rewrite the code on that ECU so seems more hacker friendly platform anyway.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Was a surprise on my new Limited, could actually switch off all the lights, on other DRL vehicles, would come on with the ignition.

So whatever your reason for wanting to switch yours off, you can.

Can think of reasons why to, back in the race riot days, depending on your location and the license plate on your vehicle, could be chased by guys that wanted to do bad things to you. On those occasions, could switch off all the lights, outrun them in the dark and lose them.

For whatever your reason, you purchased an Elantra, and can switch off all of your lights.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
On a side note about DRL’s- too many fools are driving around at night without their low beams on. Without the LED DRL’s I probably wouldn’t have notice them. This is becoming more of a trend out here in California. I suppose it has something to do with them being bright enough to the point, well...I guess the driver thinks their low beams are on. Haha, whatever.

Oh, I’ve noticed this more and more with Nissan SUV’s.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, happens a LOT in Vegas. Dumb donkeys driving around with NO lights on other than DRL's as a lot of new cars the dash illuminates all the time unlike the old days. I was thinking about this and do the DRL's stay off when parking brake engaged? If I can send a parking brake on signal to the BCM won't keep DRL's off? Not sure if it needs 12 volts or a ground but should be easy to check with a voltmeter. Now just need wiring diagram. Anyone?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
Yeah the BCM module is the major issue. Otherwise it would be a cake walk. Guess I'll just continue to do it manually. SO glad Subaru doesn't do DRL's. I think a WRX is in my future. I used to rewrite the code on that ECU so seems more hacker friendly platform anyway.
I don't know about other Subaru models, but my wifes 2017 Forester does have DRL's that are automatically on when set to auto just like Hyundai....

·
Registered
982 Posts
My previous vehicle, a Jeep, had a setting that you could modify, on the touch screen. It also had a setting that caused the headlights to come on whenever the wipers were turned on. This is handy in Virginia, where it is the law that you must have your headlights on when using wipers. More configuration is better--Hyundais are less configurable than many other vehicles.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I was thinking about this and do the DRL's stay off when parking brake engaged?

On both my 14 Elantra and the 16 Tucson, that answer is yes (one uses the low power hi beam, the other LEDs).

But, you would have the brake indicator lit on the dash, and there could be some brake drag, but using on one click, probably not. But not recommended.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually I meant to wire the ECU to THINK the parking brake is engaged, not actually pull the lever and engage the parking brake but thank you for the info.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My previous vehicle, a Jeep, had a setting that you could modify, on the touch screen.
I have a Jeep Wrangler.. The DRL's can be enabled/disabled by programming the ECU. Jeep dealers can do it, or you can purchase your own programmer that plugs into the OBD connector that is capable of doing it.

I don't know if the Elantra supports this, but you might want to check with a dealer to see if it can be done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts