Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my warranty has expired, I have had a problem with my alarm regularly firing after ~10 mins of the car being locked, regardless of whether I engage the alarm or just simply lock the car. I have brought the car to a dealer to troubleshoot multiple times and they can't figure out the issue. Is there a way to disable the alarm so I can still lock the car? Currently, my only workaround is to leave the car unlocked all the time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since my warranty has expired, I have had a problem with my alarm regularly firing after ~10 mins of the car being locked, regardless of whether I engage the alarm or just simply lock the car. I have brought the car to a dealer to troubleshoot multiple times and they can't figure out the issue. Is there a way to disable the alarm so I can still lock the car? Currently, my only workaround is to leave the car unlocked all the time.
What exact year is the car?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry after looking at some wiring info i see no easy way to do it.

I don't have one so i can not test this but a after market key less may be able to lock the doors and not set the alarm if the installer cuts the factory alarm arm wire in the kick panel. Also just cutting this wire may prevent the factory fob from arming the system but its a long shot.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What type of Santa is it?
Have you tried locking/unlocking the car with the key in the door instead of remote?
I think it will not engage the alarm then.
I think it is possible to also disengage the alarm on a specific way by putting the key in contact or something like that.
Maybe SBR711 knows how.
Good luck,
Paul

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Your hood switch is the likely culprit so rather than going to the trouble of disabling the alarm, why not fix the problem?

Pop the hood and make sure the little rubber plug on the left hand side next to the grille is still in place and lines up with the switch on the top left of the radiator. If the plug on the hood to depress the switch is damaged or missing, simply replace it with a new one and be on your way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your hood switch is the likely culprit so rather than going to the trouble of disabling the alarm, why not fix the problem?

Pop the hood and make sure the little rubber plug on the left hand side next to the grille is still in place and lines up with the switch on the top left of the radiator. If the plug on the hood to depress the switch is damaged or missing, simply replace it with a new one and be on your way. :thumbsup:
Found the switch you're referring to. However, rubber plug is still firmly in place and the plunger on the switch is working smoothly, so I believe that component is fine.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Found the switch you're referring to. However, rubber plug is still firmly in place and the plunger on the switch is working smoothly, so I believe that component is fine.
Just because the plunger on a switch "feels" like it's working, doesn't mean it's working. Get a multi-meter and check to see if it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just because the plunger on a switch "feels" like it's working, doesn't mean it's working. Get a multi-meter and check to see if it is.
Very good suggestion, but you're talking to a novice here. How do you suggest I check it? There's nothing really exposed other than the plastic housing.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Very good suggestion, but you're talking to a novice here. How do you suggest I check it? There's nothing really exposed other than the plastic housing.
There is a 10MM bolt holding that switch to the chassis. Take out the bolt, follow the single wire down seven inches and disconnect it where it plugs into another connecter. Now you can pull that connector out of the hole the switch assembly sat on(it is a tight fit, but it will go through that hole). Take an ohm meter and look to see that there is continuity(close to zero ohms) from the single pin in that connector to the metal plate(that the switch is connected to) when you are not pushing in the switch. This would be the condition of the switch when the hood is up. If you push in the switch the ohm should go close to infinite. What this means is that when the hood is up it is supplying a ground from the switch and when you close the hood you should lose the ground from the switch. Just remember when you are doing your ohm check that the surface of the metal plate is anodized and it is hard to make good contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with a Santa fe 2009. We replaced the rubber and it worked for a full day then at night the alarm went off again. With this pandemic garages are closed and no way to have someone look at it. Since it’s a 2009, we don’t want an alarm on it there's nothing of value in the car. Is there a way by removing a spark plug or cutting a wire or something else to disconnect the alarm?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,605 Posts
Is there a way by removing a spark plug or cutting a wire or something else to disconnect the alarm?
I think the simple fix is just remove the hood switch, then reconnect it to the engine bay harness and zip tie it in the engine bay somewhere.
The alarm system will only arm when all the entry points are closed. By removing the hood switch the alarm will always think the hood is open, preventing the alarm from ever arming. And if it isn't armed it shouldn't be able to go off and annoy your neighbours.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi AUTOSPARK,

i had the alarm going off at odd hours of the night problem on my 2007 Santa Fe GLS (2.7 V6/manual tranny) a month of two back. This started when i was not able to arm the alarm with the key fob (no flashing lights). The door locks would lock up... but no flash indicating alarm. Yet the alarm would go off occasionally.

On this early SF the hood switch is built into the hood latch. I disconnected the wire connector coming out of it thinking that the alarm would not arm with it disconnected. After i got home i would manually lock the door with the key as well. Did not have an issue for two months or so.

However, tonight at around 2am i noticed the alarm going off. Used the key fob to unlock the car to disarm the alarm. The key fob was not in my pocket and hanging on the wall so it is not the key fob itself.

So evidently the alarm is armed even when the hood switch connector is disconnected :(

Some others have mentioned weather conditions may be related... today was very damp and raining.

Any further suggestions?

i have read that these vehicles have a factor alarm disarm as well. Has anyone gone with that method to permanently disable the alarm (yet allow the locks to work properly)?

I think the simple fix is just remove the hood switch, then reconnect it to the engine bay harness and zip tie it in the engine bay somewhere.
The alarm system will only arm when all the entry points are closed. By removing the hood switch the alarm will always think the hood is open, preventing the alarm from ever arming. And if it isn't armed it shouldn't be able to go off and annoy your neighbours.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,605 Posts
So evidently the alarm is armed even when the hood switch connector is disconnected :(
I never said disconnecting the switch would prevent the alarm from arming. What I said was remove the switch, leaving it connected to the harness, and zip tie it in the engine bay.

Since your switch is part of the latch assembly that would be difficult to do. So what you could try instead is just join the two wires on the switch harness connector together, which is what the switch does when the hood is open. Try that and see if that stops the alarm from arming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah... for some reason i got the wrong impression that disconnecting that connector would prevent the system from arming, by fooling the factory alarm into thinking the hood was open, and therefore not arming. It seems i got it backwards... in that they need to be connected.

Thanks for the suggestion. i'll connect the two wires together.

Does anyone know if the later model switch can be retrofitted to the earlier models that had the switch integrated into the latch?

I never said disconnecting the switch would prevent the alarm from arming. What I said was remove the switch, leaving it connected to the harness, and zip tie it in the engine bay.

Since your switch is part of the latch assembly that would be difficult to do. So what you could try instead is just join the two wires on the switch harness connector together, which is what the switch does when the hood is open. Try that and see if that stops the alarm from arming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts