Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Santa Fe SE V-6 awd and here's the problem...if you lock the car with the remote (which arms the alarm) and then come back and open the door with the key it sets the alarm off. You must use the remote to shut it off or the car won't start. If you lock the door with the key then you can open it with either the key or remote. The manual states that either the key or the remote will disarm the alarm but that's not the case on my car. My dealer says the alarm is working properly but what happens if you lock the car with the remote and then need to open it with just the key (like if the remote batteries go dead or the remote gets submerged in saltwater...its happened) you are screwed...and leaving the key in the run position for 30 seconds does not work either....maybe unhooking the battery for a few minutes might work but I had no tools with me at the time. Just thought someone else might want to be aware of this...it took me 1 1/2 years before it happened to me.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yours certainly doesn't operate the way the earlier CM models did. Arming could be done either with the key or the fob, and unlock/disarm could also be done with either the key or fob. Didn't matter in the latter case how it had been armed. I'd push the point with your dealer as I believe you've got a legit complaint there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key sets alarm off

Is there anyone that has a 2012 Santa Fe that could check this for me? I need to know if they all work like this or if its just my car. All you have to do is lock the car with the remote and then unlock the drivers door with the key and see if it sets the alarm off or not. Thanks!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My 2010 would let you unlock with the key no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chances are you have the remote start option on your car.

When the remote start option is included, normal operation is just how you describe.

Locking the car with the remote arms the alarm. If you lock with the key the alarm is not armed.

Unlocking the car with the remote disarms the alarm. Using the key to unlock the door will set the alarm off. If you need to unlock the door with only the key, then you need to press the alarm kill switch when you are inside the car.

THis is very janky if you ask me.

The kill switch is a button loosely attached to some wires that you will find in the fuse box by the drivers knee. The first time you need it you might want to look in there with a flash light, once you know what you need to press you will have no problem finding it. I will try to take a picture later today. It is a black button on a wire lead usually above the fuse panel. Turn the key to on, and press the button to disarm the alarm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 2012 Santa Fe SE V-6 awd and here's the problem...if you lock the car with the remote (which arms the alarm) and then come back and open the door with the key it sets the alarm off. You must use the remote to shut it off or the car won't start. If you lock the door with the key then you can open it with either the key or remote. The manual states that either the key or the remote will disarm the alarm but that's not the case on my car. My dealer says the alarm is working properly but what happens if you lock the car with the remote and then need to open it with just the key (like if the remote batteries go dead or the remote gets submerged in saltwater...its happened) you are screwed...and leaving the key in the run position for 30 seconds does not work either....maybe unhooking the battery for a few minutes might work but I had no tools with me at the time. Just thought someone else might want to be aware of this...it took me 1 1/2 years before it happened to me.
Turn the key 2 times when unlocking in the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts