Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody notice this too? Our 2013 2.4l SF AWD has 14500km on it,2500 km since last change but the oil is looking very dirty on the dipstick--like so blackish that you can't see through it on the stick.
The dealer says probably because the 2.4 l works harder than our last 2009 3.3V-6.........it always looked quite clean, right up to the oil change interval.
We had the original oil to 6000km, then "Hyundai" bulk to 12000km then for winter "Hyundai" synthetic.
Some might say it means the oil is 'doing its job'--I think the engine is putting more wear material and/or junk from piston ring bypass or crankcase 'stuff'. The oil level doesn't appear to go down so far.

Thanks for any thoughts (worried this thing is not going to last)

P.

·
2,258 Posts
oil color alone is not an identification of any problems. the only way to get a true reading on what is in your oil, is an OAT(oil analysis test).

side-note: the only way you can tell something is up just by your naked is, the next time you drain your oil out, swish your finger in a circular motion in the old oil. if you see shiny flakes, large enough to see easily = you have problems.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Asnoted color is not an indicator of how well an oil or engine is doing. A lot depends on driving style, does the engien get up to operating temp when you start it ( 10 or so miles to get that up there) and the oil itslef. Now, if I lived in Canada I would be running a 0W20 synthetic oil for flow in the winter months. But, anyway, unless it starts to consume oil I would not worry

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of engines now utilize so called low friction piston rings - and don't laugh at this in the case of the SFS - but they do so to improve fuel economy. This usually means the oil will turn darker quicker - and like others say this can be considered normal and not a sign of any engine issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well--I won't worry about it, it has a long ways to go under warranty, but I was curious if others noted the same thing.
This vehicle never goes any distance without reaching operating temperature as the shortest haul we make is usually 20km.

P.

·
Banned
532 Posts
oil color alone is not an identification of any problems. the only way to get a true reading on what is in your oil, is an OAT(oil analysis test).

side-note: the only way you can tell something is up just by your naked is, the next time you drain your oil out, swish your finger in a circular motion in the old oil. if you see shiny flakes, large enough to see easily = you have problems.
Or it could be GOLD .... :banana: .... swish around in that pan a bit more.

·
Registered
838 Posts
On my previous New 2010 Tucson GLS AWD 2.4L the oil got more dirty in less time then any other vehicle I owned? It is the same with my present 2011 Sportage EX AWD 2.4L. :rolleyes:

IMO, it is due to a new design crankcase ventilation system, on these engines for lower emissions.

Having a look under the hood, most all vehicles with power brakes have only one vacuum hose that goes from the power brake booster, to the engine, to operate.

On these engines there is a small hose that comes off the throttle body air intake pipe, that connects to the brake booster vacuum hose, meaning it probably flows in both directions as needed depending on engine vacuum, taking vapors with it into the engine crankcase. Hence the faster the oil can get dirty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts