Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased these on 2/16 and had them in hand 2/26, considering they came from Korea, pretty fast shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-LED-H...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Installed last Friday, and everything almost went perfect. I started with the passenger side and when I put the LED in, it wasn't a tight fit and I could shake it some. Not much, but movement was there. So I put a small piece of 3M padded tape on one spot of the flange, and that snugged it right up. Didn't have to do it on the drivers side, so I'm going to guess just a slight molding process on either the LED or the projector itself. The LED's come with a o-ring/gasket that goes on the base of the LED itself to seal to the backside of the projector. Plug from the controller plugs directly into the wiring harness and is polarized, I got lucky enough to plug both in wrong the first time, simple flip of the plug and both fired right up. Best part was, I got an light out message when plugged in "backwards" and NO ERROR MESSAGE when plugged in the right way.....WOOHOO......... Several shots of the LED, including one comparing to the factory halogen. I love the fact that these eliminated the factory "hot spot". That always bugged me. Took a drive around and the light output is great. Good forward and side visibility. Pics are cell phone, so don't expect much....lol. Pics of lights are rarely great anyway.

Dust caps, if you want to keep dust caps, you will have to modify them. With the size of the heatsink, you can not fit the driver back into the housing. I mounted mine outside the housing with 3M double sided tape. With the seal at the base of the LED and as tight as these fit, I'm running without the dust caps, same as I have done on the Elantra for the past couple of years.

All in all, very happy with these. Little pricy, but they have already come down since I purchased.

Didn't get the high beams done, the set of LED's I tried to install, the base was too large for the H7 spring clip, and for some reason I can't find the ones the are identical to the ones I put in the Elantra, guess I hid them well in my garage.....

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

I was hoping to remove the clips from the halogen H7 adapter and fit the driver inside of the housing. I suppose it would be possible to modify the heatsink in a way that the wires could be passed through. Just a small groove so that everything could remain inside.

Great to hear about the beam pattern and no error codes!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for this guinea p....I mean Solman! Glad I waited before going LED, options just get better and better, and fairly quickly. Very interested in follow up as you use them.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last night, I had to meet my wife someplace after work, and then we headed to dinner. She was behind me in the Tucson, so I got the see the lights in action, from a different angle. The looked great going down the road.

But an issue did pop up 3/4 times on this 20 mile drive, she got a "low power" error for the passenger side headlight. Not steady, but intermediately. She said it happened again a couple times while she was out today. She said it was on when she got to an appointment, and could tell by the reflection the lights were on. I've sent a message to the seller and waiting for a response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last night, I had to meet my wife someplace after work, and then we headed to dinner. She was behind me in the Tucson, so I got the see the lights in action, from a different angle. The looked great going down the road.

But an issue did pop up 3/4 times on this 20 mile drive, she got a "low power" error for the passenger side headlight. Not steady, but intermediately. She said it happened again a couple times while she was out today. She said it was on when she got to an appointment, and could tell by the reflection the lights were on. I've sent a message to the seller and waiting for a response.
Sounds like a CANBUS issue. Hopefully its something a load resistor can fix.

I pulled the trigger on a set. Im going to order some resistors just to have them handy if similar issues arise.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a CANBUS issue. Hopefully its something a load resistor can fix.

I pulled the trigger on a set. Im going to order some resistors just to have them handy if similar issues arise.

I'm going to see what the seller is going to offer. I have a set of resistors I purchased for some HID's I never installed. Since it seems to come on a random times, wondering if I got one bad one since it's only one side doing this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to see what the seller is going to offer. I have a set of resistors I purchased for some HID's I never installed. Since it seems to come on a random times, wondering if I got one bad one since it's only one side doing this.
I recall another thread where others had similar issues with other brands of LEDs.

It seemed they solved the issue with resistors.

Keep us posted with what you find out!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seller asked for a pic of the install, so I sent one last night. This morning had a reply:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your photo.

I think you install correctly

Best Regards

Well, since the fire up, I already knew that. Asked again about the error message.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tbh this is what I was wondering about. As stated above others have had to later add resistors to resolve dash errors.
If that's the case, they're still physically the best direct fit so far, and critically with good projection on road.

Thanks for the update Solman, hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the update Solman, hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.

It's an easy fix for me since I already have resistors, but it's something they need to list for others to know. Not sure if the language barrier is causing them to not understand my question or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's an easy fix for me since I already have resistors, but it's something they need to list for others to know. Not sure if the language barrier is causing them to not understand my question or not.
Im sure that is a large part of the problem.

I think ill try these when i get my set in

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Win-Power-Headlight-Compatability-Anti-Flicker/dp/B077NB1BTG[/ame]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got my bulbs installed today. Korea to my door in just 4 days!

I went for a 30min drive this evening to test them out. So far I am very impressed! Both the brightness and beam pattern are great.

Havent installed any resistors yet, but so far no bulb out codes.

I ran into a problem when installing the LED bulb on the drivers side. I was unable to seat the bulb fully because the heatsink was coming into contact with the lip opening on the housing. I shaved off some of the plastic from the headlight opening, with a dremel, and the bulb seated fine after that.

Ill update if i get any codes in the coming days.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It says on that listing was ended because it is no longer available. 3 sold. Where else can I get them?

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's another listing from the same seller showing 5 available, link on the very same page. I'm an Ebay noob so not sure why listings of the same thing from the same seller can pop up differently..?

Can either of you gents show a clearer pic of the finished install please and thanks? I know it's a tough angle but would be appreciated to see how it fits/fills the opening without the cap on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can see from this picture how the heatsink is just a bit too long to allow the OEM dust cap to fit. I currently have a couple cap options on order from amazon so I'll let you guys know if any work out.

I decided to depin the OEM H7 adapter. I can always put them back to stock if need be.

Added a little heatshrink to insulate the connections and tucked them into the housing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Absolutely perfect mas, thank you - clear as day how they fit. Seems you also got the driver in there as well. I'm sure one can find something to cover that hole, maybe from the retrofit source or the options you're exploring.

If you don't get any error codes as Solman did I'd be glad but really confused though. Aren't they all essentially the same car or does the system react differently I wonder depending on whatever else we've added/changed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Absolutely perfect mas, thank you - clear as day how they fit. Seems you also got the driver in there as well. I'm sure one can find something to cover that hole, maybe from the retrofit source or the options you're exploring.

If you don't get any error codes as Solman did I'd be glad but really confused though. Aren't they all essentially the same car or does the system react differently I wonder depending on whatever else we've added/changed?
The included driver fits in the hosing with no problems.

Like i mentioned, I will continue to drive and see if any errors come up. So far, so good.

My model is the US 2017 SE Plus. I imagine any model with the halogen projectors would be be the same.

As from before, I have a couple caps on order from amazon. I dont mind being a tester! Ill let you know what you know what works out when they get here!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The included driver fits in the hosing with no problems.

I couldn't get the driver in on mine. No room at all. Maybe I'll try again later. Seller is sending me resistors, but I installed one from the HID kit I initially purchased but never could work my fingers right to hold the HID with the H7 adapter. Haven't driven it much since, but in the short drive to church yesterday morning in the rain, no error messages. Wife will be in it a lot today and it's raining again, so I'm sure if the error comes on again, she will let me know......

Not sure why you had to modify the housing on one side, but again I had to put a small piece of padded tape on one side to snug it up. Guess it's just that little bit of molding imperfection to either the housing or projector itself.

Glad to hear yours are also working well. I think mine sit a little further in.

Here's a shot of mine installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts