Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Elantra GT and I checked the oil before I left the lot, everything seemed to be fine. Now just a few days ago I got my oil change done but the my buddy couldn’t get the dipstick out to read it and didn’t want to risk breaking it. It’s not seized in the dipstick tube, it seems to be stuck inside, as if it’s tangled inside or snagged in something.

After a long drive my oil light came on which was odd to me after a fresh oil change so I put a quart the night before last and it came in again this morning.

Any suggestions on how to remove my dipstick? I can send pictures and videos if anyone can help at all. My searches online is only showing seized dipsticks.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Any suggestions on how to remove my dipstick? I can send pictures and videos if anyone can help at all. My searches online is only showing seized dipsticks.
I sounds like the morons bent the dipstick...if you can lift it to where you can see the flat part, lock some Vice-Grips on it and pull it out. You need to check that only level...hopefully before damage has been done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sounds like the morons bent the dipstick...if you can lift it to where you can see the flat part, lock some Vice-Grips on it and pull it out. You need to check that only level...hopefully before damage has been done!
Thank you very much for the advice. My only concern is the chance of me snapping the dipstick I to the motor.

It’s not a flat dipstick, it’s one of the round, kind of spring ones, what are the chances I break the metal of break the marker at the end inside of the motor?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Try rotating the dipstick as you pull it out. The dipstick on my daughters '16 Elantra sometimes sticks and I can usually get it out that way.

And if the plastic at the end does come off it will land in the oil pan and cannot be picked up through the screen on the oil pump. It is much smaller that the drain opening so unless it gets totally cross ways should come out with an oil drain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts