Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has been discussed here, but not sure it has ever been resolved for the RB Accent.

It is recommended that 3.4Pt of oil will fill your engine to the full mark, however, when this is done. It will be approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the full mark on the dipstick.

3Pts of oil will bring you to the top of the full mark on the dipstick.

Question, which one do you trust?

My experience, the car runs better with 3.4Pts of oil. The car's engine purrs better, and I seem to have a bit more jump in the engine.

Conclusion, if I see the oil 1/2 to 3/4 inches over the full mark. I believe this is the correct level. Anything over an inch or under the Full mark is not optimal.

Would welcome other Accent owner's experiences.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's quarts of oil you need.. Not pints :) 3.49 quarts, or three and a half quarts if you round it out. (That works out to 3.3 liters).

The oil is held in the engine oil pan, which is just a big bucket bolted to the bottom of the engine.

The engine has an oil pump that has a tube that extends into the oil. It uses this tube to suck the oil out of the oil pan and then it circulates it around all the moving engine parts under pressure.

When this is done, the oil drains back into the bucket bolted underneath the engine.. Slight variations in the level of the oil in this bucket will have absolutely no effect on how the engine runs.

If you grossly overfill the oil pan, the level of the oil will come into contact with moving engine parts. This will cause splashing and foaming which can force oil into places you don't want it to go. This is a bad thing that can cause engine damage.

And of course, it the oil level is too low, it can go below the pickup tube extending into the oil pan.. The oil pump will suck up air instead of oil, and without oil circulating, engine damage will result.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's quarts of oil you need.. Not pints :) 3.49 quarts, or three and a half quarts if you round it out. (That works out to 3.3 liters).

The oil is held in the engine oil pan, which is just a big bucket bolted to the bottom of the engine.

The engine has an oil pump that has a tube that extends into the oil. It uses this tube to suck the oil out of the oil pan and then it circulates it around all the moving engine parts under pressure.

When this is done, the oil drains back into the bucket bolted underneath the engine.. Slight variations in the level of the oil in this bucket will have absolutely no effect on how the engine runs.

If you grossly overfill the oil pan, the level of the oil will come into contact with moving engine parts. This will cause splashing and foaming which can force oil into places you don't want it to go. This is a bad thing that can cause engine damage.

And of course, it the oil level is too low, it can go below the pickup tube extending into the oil pan.. The oil pump will suck up air instead of oil, and without oil circulating, engine damage will result.
Yes, my mistake I meant quarts.

This is what I see on my service order when changing oil, 3.4. But this leads to being over the full line on the dip stick.

Is the dip stick wrong?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't think it's been resolved. The service manual has amounts for oil change W/O filter, oil change with filter (3.49 US quarts) and a larger amount, by a bit, for a fresh rebuild. I dunno, in all the cars I've ever had, the amount of oil with a filter was correct to bring to full on the dipstick. My last car called for 3.5 quarts to the full line and it did just that. I can't get more than about 3.25 quarts in the Accent, I even jack the rear up to get a bit more oil out, but no way 3.5 quarts won't overfill according to the dip stick. Probably OK either way. Annoying though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I still just fill to where my dipstick reads full or slightly below it...Manual also states that if there is oil between the two holes on the dipstick then you don't need to add any extra.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting discussion.

All I know is my car seems to run better over the full dip stick line rather on the full line.

Wish I knew which way to go.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
All I know is my car seems to run better over the full dip stick line rather on the full line.
Are you familiar with the "placebo effect".
It's all in your head. ;)

A little over full is OK but 1/2 to 3/4 inch is TOO MUCH.

The dipstick is right.....mostly because all of the old oil doesn't drain out most of the time.

Are you checking the level with the engine HOT or COLD ??
Check your owners manual to see what it recommends.
The dipstick calibration should match the suggested procedure.......as the level can be slightly different in each case.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
On my last fill (in April) the dealer put in a little more oil than was necessary. The dipstick is about 1/2 inch over the full mark. I never bothered removing any oil and the car runs fine. There were no ill effects.

Putting oil in an engine isn't like setting main bearing clearances where you work in thousands of an inch. It's more like horseshoes.. Close is good enough. :)

I'm curious... Who here has seen their engine filled above the dipstick 'FULL' line and has suffered engine damage as a result?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I haven't seen the reported discrepancy between dipstick and measured quarts. I have to believe that the people who saw it

1. Didn't lower their front end to let more oil drain out.
2. Checked the dipstick the next morning. (Owner's Manual says to wait 5 minutes after turning off engine.).
3. Weren't accurate measuring the new oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my last fill (in April) the dealer put in a little more oil than was necessary. The dipstick is about 1/2 inch over the full mark. I never bothered removing any oil and the car runs fine. There were no ill effects.

Putting oil in an engine isn't like setting main bearing clearances where you work in thousands of an inch. It's more like horseshoes.. Close is good enough. :)

I'm curious... Who here has seen their engine filled above the dipstick 'FULL' line and has suffered engine damage as a result?

I had a dealer oil change early on that was about an inch over the full mark. I definitely saw foaming on the dipstick and the gas mileage dropped significantly. You could feel the difference in the car's response. I insist on the oil change not exceeding the full mark based on that episode.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are you familiar with the "placebo effect".
It's all in your head. ;)

A little over full is OK but 1/2 to 3/4 inch is TOO MUCH.

The dipstick is right.....mostly because all of the old oil doesn't drain out most of the time.

Are you checking the level with the engine HOT or COLD ??
Check your owners manual to see what it recommends.
The dipstick calibration should match the suggested procedure.......as the level can be slightly different in each case.
I check the engine after driving it to work, a good 30 mins drive of highway and city driving. 2 hours later on break, the car is still warm. I have never had an oil change that was not over the full line from the dealer, usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the full line.

Are they not draining the car properly? Are the measurements wrong, is the dipstick wrong?

Whatever it is, I do feel the car runs smoother with 1/2 inch over the full mark than right on the Full mark. Fuel usage seems to be the same.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I check the engine after driving it to work, a good 30 mins drive of highway and city driving. 2 hours later on break, the car is still warm. I have never had an oil change that was not over the full line from the dealer, usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the full line.

Are they not draining the car properly? Are the measurements wrong, is the dipstick wrong?

Whatever it is, I do feel the car runs smoother with 1/2 inch over the full mark than right on the Full mark. Fuel usage seems to be the same.
I've never paid to have mine changed, but since you use the dealer, have you ever asked the service guys as to why it's always past the full mark? I'd be interested in what they say. I'm sure they are draining correctly, on the rack. I even go to the trouble of raising the back end after the level drain, a very small additional amount comes out, but not much. I put in 3.25 quarts and that is full, according to the dipstick. Let us know if the dealer sheds any light. cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Personally, I think it's much more important to measure out what you're putting in rather than rely on the dipstick. I say that because in my recent oil change I put in about 3.25 qts. and it measured to the full dot on the dipstick. I did the usual warm the engine and wait awhile for the oil to drain back and measure again....oil mark was the same place on the dipstick. I then added the remaining 250 ml of oil to the crankcase...drove, waited a few hours, drove again and checked 30 minutes later....same spot on the dipstick as with the 3.25 qts. in it. Based on this experience, I'm inclined to believe that the dipstick shows full at both 3.25 qts. and 3.5 qts. and doesn't seem to register variation until it's a half quart down or lower. I also jacked up the back to get every bit of the oil but not much additional came out. Can't really comment on those who's oil level goes above the full mark but I'd be interested to know WHEN it registers over the full line.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never paid to have mine changed, but since you use the dealer, have you ever asked the service guys as to why it's always past the full mark? I'd be interested in what they say. I'm sure they are draining correctly, on the rack. I even go to the trouble of raising the back end after the level drain, a very small additional amount comes out, but not much. I put in 3.25 quarts and that is full, according to the dipstick. Let us know if the dealer sheds any light. cheers.
I broached that question last time I was there when it was closer to an inch over the line. I had it drained to the Full mark. He kinda evaded my question. Next time I am there, I will see what kind of answers I can get and share them here. Cheers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I think it's much more important to measure out what you're putting in rather than rely on the dipstick. I say that because in my recent oil change I put in about 3.25 qts. and it measured to the full dot on the dipstick. I did the usual warm the engine and wait awhile for the oil to drain back and measure again....oil mark was the same place on the dipstick. I then added the remaining 250 ml of oil to the crankcase...drove, waited a few hours, drove again and checked 30 minutes later....same spot on the dipstick as with the 3.25 qts. in it. Based on this experience, I'm inclined to believe that the dipstick shows full at both 3.25 qts. and 3.5 qts. and doesn't seem to register variation until it's a half quart down or lower. I also jacked up the back to get every bit of the oil but not much additional came out. Can't really comment on those who's oil level goes above the full mark but I'd be interested to know WHEN it registers over the full line.
I've read on other forums, 3 quarts will get you to the Full mark. 3 - 3.25. So I honestly wonder why the manual states 3.49 Quarts?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've read on other forums, 3 quarts will get you to the Full mark. 3 - 3.25. So I honestly wonder why the manual states 3.49 Quarts?
3.49 qt puts me on the Full dimple.

I wonder if the difference in experiences is related to how long people wait to check the oil level. The Owners Manual says 5 minutes. Some people say they wait 30 minutes or overnight.

I could test that myself. But, so far, waiting ~5 minutes puts me on the F mark with 3.4-3.5 qts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
3.49 qt puts me on the Full dimple.

I wonder if the difference in experiences is related to how long people wait to check the oil level. The Owners Manual says 5 minutes. Some people say they wait 30 minutes or overnight.

I could test that myself. But, so far, waiting ~5 minutes puts me on the F mark with 3.4-3.5 qts.
Yeah, for me the dipstick measured the same with 3.25 qts. and 3.5 qts. with waiting for it to drain longer, driving and then waiting ( 5 min. , 30 minutes, etc. ). The dipstick doesn't seem as reactive to the oil volume you put in it as other cars I've had. Because of that, I can see where people can overfill it...but what's overfilling? If I put 3.25 qts., 3.5.qts., or 3.75 qts. in the crankcase and they all measure at the same point on the dipstick ( if you wait for 5 minutes or two hours ) then you have to be pretty scrupulous about measuring the oil you're putting in. I would think that the oil level would be easier to read with the smaller capacity but it may be just the opposite.

I put .3 qts. in the filter and add 3 qts. to the crankcase which will give me the dipstick at the full dot with any wait time and will give me the same reading when I add an additional 200 ml ( ~3.5 qts. ) with any wait time. Will it also give me the same reading if I add another 200 ml of oil? Maybe I have to get to 4 qts. before the dipstick will tell me anything different ( which would be overfilled in relation to the 3.49 qt. figure HMC gives in the manual and the 3.8 qt. "drain and refill" capacity that HMC gives in the maintenance log booklet.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
The dipstick is right.....IF the recommended time to check it is with the engine warm/hot after a drain down interval. If they recommend that you check it cold in the morning then THAT is what you should do......because THAT is how the dipstick is calibrated.

They are blindly dumping in X.X amount of oil and it is a little too much. It is not likely to cause a problem......but there always is a tiny chance.

They aren't waiting around for the dripping to stop when draining but that is not necessarily "wrong" and it probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.

I personally give them about a quarter inch over.
If it is more than that AND stays that way for several days.....then I go back....or suck out a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just did an oil change on mine - DH did it for me and he checked it after 5 minutes. On full. I checked it again the next morning after it sat all night and it was still on full dimple. So no difference here. 3.5 quarts and we didn't jack up the rear to get all of it drained.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts