·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Factory...

Factory looks much better!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Never was a fan of flat black wheels, unless there is some sort of a contrast/accent to them. They just look dirty to me and blend into the tires. Possibly gloss black would look better otherwise, I'd say leave stock. Another option is to just paint just the wheel spokes black which would at least add a little silver contrast between the tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slightly disappointed you guys think that looks black.. :( That doesn't look grey to you? Either way I pulled the dip off today as I was sick of driving around with 1 dipped wheel looking like an idiot. I must say though I was surprised that it really did peal right off like they say.

Looks good! That's what Ive done to mine! Should have masked off your lug nuts and air valve however. Going to tear the plasti dip to **** when you try and take a wheel off.
Is your dip Anthracite grey as well? It looks like it from this picture but not so much from the full shots of your GT. I could probably live with the alloy lugs if that's the case.

·
22,849 Posts
"Factory" gets my vote. The brighter the silver, the deeper the reflection, the better it looks. All about the contrast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Slightly disappointed you guys think that looks black.. :( That doesn't look grey to you? Either way I pulled the dip off today as I was sick of driving around with 1 dipped wheel looking like an idiot. I must say though I was surprised that it really did peal right off like they say.

Is your dip Anthracite grey as well? It looks like it from this picture but not so much from the full shots of your GT. I could probably live with the alloy lugs if that's the case.

It's Matte Black, looks like black to me...

·
22,849 Posts
If it was me, if remove them, one at a time. Use a deck of old playing cards stuck between the rim and the tire, then apply a number of coats onto the wheel. Paying particular interest to the recessed areas where the lugs go. When dry, remount and repeat on the next wheel. Running a strip of tape along the rim's edge works nicely, too.

If you're gonna do this, don't short-cut it.

Hint: The playing card idea works well with tire shine spray, also. A bit involved, but no overspray on the wheels to clean off. I've done it, but now I just spray the stuff on a sponge and wipe around the sidewalls. Finished. Quick & EASY! No sluff off of the product!

·
22,849 Posts
I like the concept behind the product. Allows an owner to "experiment" with different combinations of customizing the ride. If it doesn't work, doesn't pan out, just peel it off and go again.

Imagine how frustrating if we had to use paint. That's not as easily removed. And, if the Plasti-Dip experiment works, a more permanent look is available.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those rims look good in silver from the factory, but I have enjoyed using plasti-dip. Just remember to put on multiple coats to ensure easy removal. It is very difficult to remove when you have less than 3 solid coats, in my experience. I think you should dip them, live with it for a week or so, and then decide. Easy $12 investment with a quick way out if you decide against it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.