Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt like dipping something else on my car, and never liked the contrast of the black fog light frames on the white car, so I dipped them. Not sure if i have seen anyone else doing this here... Let me know what you think. I think I like it. Cheers!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow, does that ever change the entire look of the front end. Brings it more in line with the sedan and Coupé. My car is black, so the black fog light surrounds aren't an issue, but that looks good. I now suggest any owner with a colored car do that if possible. Nice job!

·
22,793 Posts
Wow! Looks fantastic. Glad I stumbled upon this post. I had been considering the garnish molds for my sedan's fog lights. But after seeing this, I'm sold on the dip process.

Your lines are smooth. How difficult to do the curved area with tape. Inside secrets you'd be willing to share?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't seen anyone on this forum using anything other than the original flat black, nice work. What a difference to the front end of your GT! But a word of warning (if most people don't already know this), a friend of mine used white Plasti-dip on his truck and it started to yellow after 6 months or so. He has since re-done it twice over the last year, which is the great thing about Plasti-dip, it is so easy that he just starts fresh when it starts to look bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Looks fantastic. Glad I stumbled upon this post. I had been considering the garnish molds for my sedan's fog lights. But after seeing this, I'm sold on the dip process.

Your lines are smooth. How difficult to do the curved area with tape. Inside secrets you'd be willing to share?
Thanks all. No secrets OkieRich. I just dipped it then peeled it off. I painted completely over the light lens and left about a 1-inch overspray area all around. The lines are not perfect, but pretty good. My tip would be to wait until it is fully dry before you peel off the overspray. And make sure that you have used enough layers so it forms a nice thick rubbery coat. Beyond that, nothing to it...

Now to find something else to dip. I am thinking of doing my winter alloys gun metal grey. I think they would look good. And for the Canadian peeps on the board, Canadian Tire has Plasti-Dip now in the paint section. Lots of colors too!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would stick with it!! I am thinking of doing the lower part of my Sonata's from end......around the fogs and the small strip accross the top.....You have just convinced me o do it!!

Looks awesome like that!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can't see the image, but I'm prolly going to do the white on my red front end...actually thinking about going white in the grille area too. Just for something different...

I'll check it out later this evening at home :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can't see the image, but I'm prolly going to do the white on my red front end...actually thinking about going white in the grille area too. Just for something different...

I'll check it out later this evening at home :)
Tim, did you ever do the white grille??

:)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Dipped...

Looks great! I have yet to dip anything on my Sonata. With my personality, once I started... :eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Tim, did you ever do the white grille??

:)
Nope not yet! Just said I would on Friday... :laughing: The white fogs look awesome...might just have to get me some red for mine, instead of white!

Rich - dipping is so easy because you can spray over the areas you don't want to hit, and if it's thick enough, and there's a gap between the area you're targeting and the "extra" - like around a headlight, you can just peel the overspray right off and be left with a really clean look. its the reason dipping emblems is so easy - no need to mask precise areas.

·
22,793 Posts
Good to know. Thanks, Tim. I'm STILL procrastinating getting the grill completed. Eventually, I suppose. I seem to "mod in spurts." Right now, I'm not too motivated. But when I do get the notion, watch out! :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts