Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last winter I used dealer-provided conventional oil in my GT (5w-20 I believe). I noticed that the car used to make a ticking noise upon startup, which I understood to be normal with this engine.

I switched to dealer-provided synthetic (says Castrol Syntec 5w-20 on the invoice....I get free oil changes for a limited time, including synthetic. The Castrol would not be my first choice due to how 'synthetic' it really is, but thats another topic...)

I have really noticed this week during the first cold spell that the car starts easier, and there is no ticking noise. I think this is due to the oil, but could very well be that the engine is broken in better, or a combination of the two. During warm weather, never really noticed much of a difference in the smoothness of the engine, but during this cold spell the car seems to rev smoother and run quieter than last winter.

Anybody else with this engine notice anything similar?

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's certainly possible that the synthetic is behaving a bit differently at lower temps. Even with the same viscosity rating, a synthetic won't change viscosity as much as a conventional at the extremes of temperature.

If I had to bet, I'd say your changes have more to do with break-in miles and general wearing-in of your engine than oil, but it is certainly possible. Whatever you've done, it seems to be working so I'd continue. (It would be an interesting experiment at this point to put conventional back in and see if your noise returns.) While I don't think synthetics are "necessary" (assuming you're using normal, not extended, drain periods) and the economics of spending more on synthetics may not be rigorously justified, I do think there is enough data to say they're generally a better oil which might make some difference long-term.

- Mark

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed on all points markjenn. If this were a leased car then it would be dino all the way...for now, I still plan to keep the car for 7-9 years so I will keep using the synthetic or similar.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That first sentence in your post says a lot: "5w-20 I believe"..

My dealer uses bulk oil, and sometimes it's 5-20, 5w-30, and even 10w-30. Just luck of the draw as to what you get.

·
22,793 Posts
I do know my dealer uses 5w20...at least from the noted remark on the service ticket. I'd hate to think they were putting in whatever viscosity is available in the shop at the time. If I could prove otherwise, I might be able to get that white Gen Coupe I've been coveting for free. ;)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I do know my dealer uses 5w20...at least from the noted remark on the service ticket. I'd hate to think they were putting in whatever viscosity is available in the shop at the time. If I could prove otherwise, I might be able to get that white Gen Coupe I've been coveting for free. ;)
That easy, ask to see most recent invoice for oil delivery to refill their bulk oil tank.. our guy comes out, fill s tank, and gives parts counter fella receipt for oil.. it goes to office for payment.

·
Registered
314 Posts
and the economics of spending more on synthetics may not be rigorously justified,
- Mark
I watch the Canadian Tire flyers (Canadians will know what I mean;)) closely for oil going on sale. Every few weeks Pennzoil Platinum goes on sale for between $25-$29 for a 5L jug. I buy it then and bring it along for my next oil change. Still not as cheap as the dealer bulk oil, but a good deal.

·
22,793 Posts
There are some Cyber Monday oil deals at the various auto stores, today. I got email notices from Advance Auto and AutoZone, so far. Just a FYI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts