Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SE with Nav package. I noticed that the car comes with a 8 inch sub in the rear deck but I cannot locate an external amp. Is this sub powered by the Nav system or is there an external amp hidden? Usually the amp would be located near the sub in factory installed systems ( I think). Can anyone provide insight on this? If not, I will probably upgrade the sub and add an amp since it is already located in the trunk.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
On the Limited with 8" sub (Dimension System) the amp in on the passenger side of the trunk, not sure on other configs

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (zoomzoomnomore @ Oct 13 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363273
I have the SE with Nav package. I noticed that the car comes with a 8 inch sub in the rear deck but I cannot locate an external amp. Is this sub powered by the Nav system or is there an external amp hidden? Usually the amp would be located near the sub in factory installed systems ( I think). Can anyone provide insight on this? If not, I will probably upgrade the sub and add an amp since it is already located in the trunk.

I have GLS with Nav. The amp is located on passenger side of trunk behind the covering. Similar to what previous poster said.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great info. I will check it out. I am sure I have one as well then. Has anyone thought of upgrading?

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (meshuggah27 @ Oct 14 2010, 12:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363383
i doubt they make a factory amp bypass for the 2011 sonata already. Im sure you could get the pinout from HMAservice though.
Couldnt you just swap out the stock sub with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FHAXP...3MWNFQAFJCTVC88

And then get a mono amp with a line level input and use the stock wiring as the input to the amp and then run all new wires from the battery to the amp to the new speaker?

Its been a while since I've really been into mobile audio, but the concepts rarely change, so I see no reason why this wouldnt work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 14 2010, 08:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363413
Couldnt you just swap out the stock sub with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FHAXP...3MWNFQAFJCTVC88

And then get a mono amp with a line level input and use the stock wiring as the input to the amp and then run all new wires from the battery to the amp to the new speaker?

Its been a while since I've really been into mobile audio, but the concepts rarely change, so I see no reason why this wouldnt work.

I have found tha line level installs sound like crap. especially with limited EQ capabilites on the nav unit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (zoomzoomnomore @ Oct 14 2010, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363501
I have found tha line level installs sound like crap. especially with limited EQ capabilites on the nav unit.
There is a wide variance in the quality of line level convertors. The cheap ones can be pretty crappy, but if you get a good one, its definitely passable in a moderate system.

But even using a cheap one, I wouldnt think there would be much difference since we're only talking about a subwoofer. Im thinking that even the stock line level inputs on a mono amp should be adequate to pump up the bass.

I forget who it was on here, but someone recently reported that simply replacing the front dash speakers with 1" tweeters drastically improved the high end of the stereo and brought up the front sound stage.

I am thinking that with an upgrade to the front tweeters, along with a decent amp and a better 8" sub, you can get a pretty good sounding upgrade out of the (mostly) stock system.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
Stock wiring is around 18 gauge, pretty standard

I have added a 12" sub and it does what I need it to. Also added a 4 ch amp but don't have it hooked up yet because I haven't upgraded the speakers! I can get you wire colors if you need them

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! I just found a JL audio free air 8 inch sub..almost 500 bucks! and it weighs 17 pounds...That would pull the rear lid down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts