Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new sonata, a GLS with nav and upgraded dimension stro and I have a question.

Is it supposed to sound this bad? It's supposed to have a nice amp and sub, but it sounds like an AM radio, no matter what the source is - iPod XM or radio. Is there a setting that I'm missing? I've played with th EQ presets, adjusted the balance and fader. It still sounds like a cheap toy. I'm not an audiophile or anything, I'm pretty content with most factory stereos, but this sounds very dull. I'd almost believe they forgot to hook up the amp. Very little bass, no highs, and generally poor quality.

Also, is HD available yet?

Otherwise, this is the nicest car I've ever owned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The sound quality is poor, but not to the level you are describing. In terms of bass, what you are describing does not sound normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reallyhsve to turn up the volume to get even a little thump out of it. I traded in a base model Mustang, and it's factory stereo sounded like a Bose home theatre system compared to this. Is it posible the am isn't hooked up? I can hear sound from the sub, but I've heard tweeters with more bass response.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (solteroblues @ Jun 7 2010, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330649
I just got my new sonata, a GLS with nav and upgraded dimension stro and I have a question.

Is it supposed to sound this bad? It's supposed to have a nice amp and sub, but it sounds like an AM radio, no matter what the source is - iPod XM or radio. Is there a setting that I'm missing? I've played with th EQ presets, adjusted the balance and fader. It still sounds like a cheap toy. I'm not an audiophile or anything, I'm pretty content with most factory stereos, but this sounds very dull. I'd almost believe they forgot to hook up the amp. Very little bass, no highs, and generally poor quality.

Also, is HD available yet?

Otherwise, this is the nicest car I've ever owned.

Thanks!

The EQ setting did it for me (Although I am still cranky about the fact that, compared to the folks in the US, we Canadians are paying $3000 more for the Ltd with nav and yet we don't get the Infinity)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried the diferent eq settings, but I don't hear a huge difference, maybe I'll check out a different car at a dealer and see if there's a difference

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am having the same issue with the stereo in my Limited, its loud enough but not enough base, I expected a better system for the Limited version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Volume isn't the issue, it literally sounds like a two speaker radio in a late 70's pick up truck, and this system is supposed to be an upgrade

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too was quite disappointed with the sound system on my GLS with Dimension. I previously had a Volvo (which I gave to my father), and when I got back in it today I was surprised at how much better the sound quality was. Some great upgrade this is...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm not looking for ultimate theatre sound, just something where I can hear some detail. I can't even tell anything is coming out of the rear speakers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a Limited with the Dimension system and at first I was dissapointed also but I have managed to make it sound very good. Are you using Hyundai's iPod cable? That little cable
made all the difference for me with a few a little tweaks. I have my bass all the way to +10, mids are at about -3 and my treble is at +10 also. Fader is at about -2. I also select the Rock EQ preset in iTunes for all of my music on my iPod which gives it that little more oomph. One thing I noticed about this system is that it quite accuretly represents the music. If the music you're listening to was badly recorded or badly mixed with too little bass or treble that's what you will get. I tested it out with alot if different types of music and if a song has good bass and is well mixed this system absolutley pounds. I mean to the point where my windows are shaking lol. Remember also your GLS doesn't have the subwoofer so you won't get the bass response that
the other trims get that come with the sub.

I don't know. I honestly can't complain it sounds great to me and I'm a bit of an audiophile. Sound systems in cars are one of the most important features of a car for
me and this Dimension system is really sounding great. Now XM satellite is another story. Although not awful, it doesn't sound nearly as good as my iPod. FM radio
sounds horrible but I almost never listen to it so don't really care.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought I would be disappointed with base model radio on the GLS but so far I am very happy with the sound considering its not the Dimension Audio.

I really wanted the upgraded radio but after hearing these comments, I can live with mine.

Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (solteroblues @ Jun 8 2010, 07:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330857
My GLS does have the subwoofer, and the bass is prett weak unless I turn up the volume to ear shattering volumes.
That's strange. I mean I have to turn up my radio to hear the bass too but not to 'ear shattering volumes' like you put it.

In fact I was driving home from work today listening to some r&b with some deep bass and it was just banging.

Do you have an iPod? If so do you have the Hyundai iPod cable?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with wozzy. If stuff is recorded really well it sounds good. Unfortunatly for me I listen to a lot of independent and punk music where the bands are on shoestring budget so some of my favorite stuff sounds kind of so-so. I borrowed a Lady GaGa CD from a friend and tried that and the sound is pretty impressive. I would have prefered the infinity system but I wasn't going to spend almost 2 grand more for nav and infinity. My ultimate plan is to replace the stock speakers with better quality ones. That alone will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (jtfortin @ Jun 8 2010, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330927
I agree with wozzy. If stuff is recorded really well it sounds good. Unfortunatly for me I listen to a lot of independent and punk music where the bands are on shoestring budget so some of my favorite stuff sounds kind of so-so. I borrowed a Lady GaGa CD from a friend and tried that and the sound is pretty impressive. I would have prefered the infiniti system but I wasn't going to spend almost 2 grand more for nav and infiniti. My ultimate plan is to replace the stock speakers with better quality ones. That alone will make a world of difference.
I have Lady Gaga on my iPod too and I have to keep the volume down coz I would honestly go deaf if I listened to it at louder volumes. Then again when I listen to some older
AC/DC songs they don't sound as good. They don't sound bad at all just not as good. Like I mentioned earlier, this system doesn't ehance the music or embelish the music
as some other systems do. It very accuratley represents the mix. Personaly I prefer it this way.

My 06 Civic EX coupe's bass was absolutely huge. But the more I think about it the more I realize that it was actually over-bassed and not balanced all that well. The Dimension
system is much better balanced IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe my problem is the source. I'm listening to mainly classic rock from either XM or from my iPhone (with Hyundai iPod cable), I haven't listened to any CDs yet. Most of my iPhone music is at about 192 kbs, so it's not cd quality.

I'm also comparing it to my 2008 mustang, it didn't have a great stereo, but it was the first step up from base. But you could feel the bass at ANY volume, and it didn't have a sub or external amp. As soon as you turned the volume past 1/4 way, it would vibrate the windows. The sonata has both, and the bass has to be turned all the way up with volume at about half before you can feel it, and I've never been able to vibrate the windows. Half volume is uncomfortable to listen to, even without the hiss of high treble or thump of deep bass, which it doesn't have anyway. I've actually been away on business, so I'm going to give it a good run through on my way home after o pick it up from the office tonight.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (solteroblues @ Jun 8 2010, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330965
Maybe my problem is the source. I'm listening to mainly classic rock from either XM or from my iPhone (with Hyundai iPod cable), I haven't listened to any CDs yet. Most of my iPhone music is at about 192 kbs, so it's not cd quality.

I'm also comparing it to my 2008 mustang, it didn't have a great stereo, but it was the first step up from base. But you could feel the bass at ANY volume, and it didn't have a sub or external amp. As soon as you turned the volume past 1/4 way, it would vibrate the windows. The sonata has both, and the bass has to be turned all the way up with volume at about half before you can feel it, and I've never been able to vibrate the windows. Half volume is uncomfortable to listen to, even without the hiss of high treble or thump of deep bass, which it doesn't have anyway. I've actually been away on business, so I'm going to give it a good run through on my way home after o pick it up from the office tonight.
umm...192kb/s is actually CD quality.....

1 - 20 of 109 Posts