Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. Last week I got an SE turbo with nav (Dimension audio). I love the car, but the sound system lacks.....if I compare it with the Dynaudio I had in my VW GTI.

I am leasing so I don't want to make huge modifications, but I want better sound. I will probably swap speakers and see how that goes. If someone has found some speakers/tweeters that can be swapped without making modifications (amp/crossovers) and provide significant upgrades I would appreciate the input. Not sure yet if the speakers in the dash are just tweeters or midranges.....knowing that will also help.

I will start with the sub. I searched free air subs and found that the Critical Mass SS82 is highly rated (diymobileaudio forum). I found one on ebay for what seemed cheap so I bought it. It is 2 ohms and 88db so I will try it with the stock amp. I know more power will be better....but we'll see how it works with the stock amp.

I will post my impressions, but again, any input from someone that has swapped just the speakers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I didn't swap the speakers on this car but I did this a few times on other cars. Usually it doesn't help with the sound unless the original speakers simply don't match the HU or can't handle it. Especially if you're dealing with original HU. Sub - you might be able to find a better one I guess.
To me it doesn't look that the speakers are so terrible that replacing them will make any significant difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks error. I've seen good results by just changing speakers. I've never done it but I used to own an Accord and had a friend with the same car that just changed the speakers and the sound was night and day. Better quality/efficiency maybe? Definitely not an expert. Maybe you are right and this is the best that can be done without changing the stock HU/Amp. That's why I am asking....maybe someone has had good results with our car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My plan this winter is to pull the stock sub and leave it open to run a folded horn box in the trunk. I use the trunk alot though being the grocery getter so the fun part will be making a box that sounds good but takes up minimal space.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that one of the problems on this car is that the highs/mids are concentrated in the dash speakers, and you feel them coming at you from the windshield. Front door speakers only have low mid bass, so there isn't a good blend. I am afraid that nothing can be done without messing with signal processing & crossover points.....but I guess I am still hopeful that someone might have had luck with just speaker changes. Wishful thinking I guess.

And of course it is hard for anyone to know what good sound is for my brain. Just checking what others have done.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I changed the speakers on all four doors to a 3 ways system. I have the nav radio and I thinks it sounds better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did you use reus?

Here's another question; how do I remove the stock subwoofer? It is screwed from the top. How do I remove the deck cover from the inside?

Thanks!

Rick.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I used the JBL-GT 0638 6.5 speakers that can be found on EBAY. I buy the wire adapters from Crutchfield. I did not remove the subwoofer but I thing you have to get it out from the bottom by moving the rear seats forward.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bought 2 pairs of the ONX116 MB Quart 6.5" 2 way Coaxial from Amazon...will install in the next week or so but I am counting on better sound quality from them. Also purchased the adapters from Cruchfield.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00375LC8O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

The sub needs to be removed from the top. Will take a closer look at the rear deck cover this weekend.

Reus, did you keep the dash midranges/tweeters connected?

Gpradzin, what about you? Are you planning to keep the dash speakers playing? let us know your impressions when you're done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks guys.

The sub needs to be removed from the top. Will take a closer look at the rear deck cover this weekend.

Reus, did you keep the dash midranges/tweeters connected?

Gpradzin, what about you? Are you planning to keep the dash speakers playing? let us know your impressions when you're done.
keeping dash speakers for now...want to see what a difference swapping out the door speakers do first. Will let you guys know

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gpradzin, if I looked at the same MB Quarts they are 4 ohm. Make sure you check that before installing. I wouldn't use those with the stock amp. Good thing that Amazon returns are a breeze........

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a leased vehicle and have definitely upgraded the audio. Check out the gear in my signature. I put the mids in the factory location. I fabricated new baffles to mount the mids(I'm not sure if anyone else ran in to issues using a baffle thicker than 3/8" but I did). I also used a plumbing strap to mount the tweeters in lieu of the factory "tweeters". There's no visible signs that I'm aftermarket with the Alpine PXE unit. Works and sounds great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to update; I decided to go full blast and upgrade everything. I will get a JBL MS-8 processor, amp and new speakers. Will probably use coaxials in the front with the tweeters in the inside mirror covers. I think I found where to buy the stock covers for $18 each, so that I can put it back to stock when needed.

Will update as I go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
gpradzin, if I looked at the same MB Quarts they are 4 ohm. Make sure you check that before installing. I wouldn't use those with the stock amp. Good thing that Amazon returns are a breeze........
Installed them last night...no problems...system now has a lot more kick in the face sound then that tinny sound before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to update; I decided to go full blast and upgrade everything. I will get a JBL MS-8 processor, amp and new speakers. Will probably use coaxials in the front with the tweeters in the inside mirror covers. I think I found where to buy the stock covers for $18 each, so that I can put it back to stock when needed.

Will update as I go.
Good luck with that Molex connector. BTW the MS-8 is awesome but kinda sucks with Bluetooth. I went with the Alpine PXE-H650

1 - 20 of 30 Posts