Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I drove from US to Canada for business and will be here for couple days. I was not able to find anything on changing the digital speed from mph to km. Would anyone know what the trick is?

Thank you,
PK

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
469 Posts
I'm just guessing here but maybe the digital display can only indicate speed in the same unit value that the analog speedometer reads. I couldn't find any reference to changing any distance units in any displays; just for changing temperature reference units.

I'm sure you've already checked this out, but for others who don't know. . .
Per '18 FSM:
To change the temperature unit from
°F to °C or °C to °F, it can be selected
by one of the following methods :
- Go to User Settings Mode ➝ Other
Features ➝ Temperature Unit.
- Press the AUTO button for 3 seconds
while pressing the OFF button.
(Automatic climate control system)

·
Registered
203 Posts
there are actually several old posts about this. 2 on this board, and a couple on the genesis boards.
According to those, you cannot change it.
for some reason that is locked in.
at best you can make the change in the nav to show km instead.

one did mention on the genesis board, that when they crossed over to canada the hud type display showed both, but that was unclear to me.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/502177-how-change-digital-speedometer-kms-mph.html

https://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?16689-MPH-to-KM-H

a search on these terms
"how to change odometer from miles to kilometers hyundai"

produces a few results, most say basically the same.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Can you use Waze or AA or CarPlay and change the speed display to Km ?

I rented a Ford something when in Florida 3 years ago. Signed this and that, got in. Km and C were on the display. Only took me 2 min to find the display option to change it.

I guess that setting is where the "welcome sound" selection on my HSH is located... missing, yet it's in the manual that you can turn it off.

If a Ford can do it, come on Korea... get with the program !

·
Registered
689 Posts
I haven't seen the 2018 yet, so it doesn't have the analog gauge anymore?
Usually on the analog guage, there is both KM and Miles on there

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT does have the analog but the font is tiny and it takes more time to look at it to double check the speed than the digital. It just does not make sense why they don't have easy way of changing it... I use Apple Car Play and can only use Apple Maps which don't display your current speed. In Canada, it does not even show speed limits...

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 18 has the ability to tell you metric or standard on a menu option on the dash display. You have to be in park to access that menu.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 18 has the ability to tell you metric or standard on a menu option on the dash display. You have to be in park to access that menu.
Can you step me through the menus to get to that screen on the '18s?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could change everything to metric except the digital speed display. Show us pictures, please.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am already back home so do not need this anymore but I am very disappointed that we are in 2018, and you buy the fully loaded trim for a lot of money and are lacking this small feature....

Anyways, I love doing road trips with my Sonata. I don't get that tired anymore as I set the line keep assist on and don't really need to put too much effort into steering.

BTW - 21k miles on the clock already...

Hello from Toronto:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am already back home so do not need this anymore but I am very disappointed that we are in 2018, and you buy the fully loaded trim for a lot of money and are lacking this small feature....
The more I research, the less I find find on the digital speedometer which leads me to believe salesman who says it will only display in the unit value of the dominant unit on the analog speedometer. Ours reads large 'mph' numbers on the outer row and small 'klicks' on the inner row so it's going to display digitally in mph (and vice-versa). "Can't change the analog speedo so you can't change the digital speedo", he says.

I agree that the option should be available, especially in the mobile society we live/travel in today.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, I went back through the menu yesterday and you guys are correct. You can change the tire pressure to metric and the fuel to metric along with one other thing. The digital speedometer was not changeable. My apologies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I drove from US to Canada for business and will be here for couple days. I was not able to find anything on changing the digital speed from mph to km. Would anyone know what the trick is?

Thank you,
PK
I have a 2019 Santa Fe and this is how I change the speedometer from MPH to KPH...when the navigation map is displayed, tap on it once, this brings up a list of items, tap on menu, tap on settings, then you will see the choice to select mph or kph. Choose kph and watch the speedometer change to
kph. Piece if cake when you know how to do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2019 Santa Fe and this is how I change the speedometer from MPH to KPH...when the navigation map is displayed, tap on it once, this brings up a list of items, tap on menu, tap on settings, then you will see the choice to select mph or kph. Choose kph and watch the speedometer change to
kph. Piece if cake when you know how to do it.
That didn't do the trick. That was the first thing that I have tried. I don't have the car anymore. Traded it in for 2015 Genesis Ultimate :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts