Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Same here with my Huawei P30 Pro.

I still can't imagine not carrying by keyfob. What if my car battery dies or (phone battery or it just malfunctions)? I wonder how long my car can sit parked before the battery drains. I assume bluelink and other electronic stuff will eventually drain it. I travel alot so this can be a real concern with my car parked at the airport.

It's nice to have a backup incase you lose your keyfob, but at the same time it just increases your car's attack vectors. If to your phone is stolen, it's a little better since they have to unlock your phone though there are ways around that. If you have the key card, someone just needs to steal your wallet, then they can drive your car to your house (since they now know your address from your ID and maybe your Nav), open the garage door and steal whats in your house.
Chances are low but still.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What if my car battery dies or (phone battery or it just malfunctions)?
Carry the card key as a backup.

I wonder how long my car can sit parked before the battery drains. I assume bluelink and other electronic stuff will eventually drain it. I travel alot so this can be a real concern with my car parked at the airport.
I can't imagine how many weeks or months it would take for the functions you mentioned to completely drain the battery. A complete battery failure is a potential concern between using Digital and the non-digital key. In that case you'd have to get the standard key to gain access to the car to have it charged or towed. I never really thought about it before but it doesn't really freak me out because the odds of it happening are so slim. If I was going on some extended trip away from home, based on what you said, I'd bring the standard key with me as back-up.

It's nice to have a backup incase you lose your keyfob, but at the same time it just increases your car's attack vectors. If to your phone is stolen, it's a little better since they have to unlock your phone though there are ways around that. If you have the key card, someone just needs to steal your wallet, then they can drive your car to your house (since they now know your address from your ID and maybe your Nav), open the garage door and steal whats in your house.
Digital Key can be managed on the Hyundai owner's site. So if you lose your phone or key card they can be disabled. Assuming your phone is locked with some sort of security there's no way someone could use your Digital Key.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Carry the card key as a backup.

I can't imagine how many weeks or months it would take for the functions you mentioned to completely drain the battery. A complete battery failure is a potential concern between using Digital and the non-digital key. In that case you'd have to get the standard key to gain access to the car to have it charged or towed. I never really thought about it before but it doesn't really freak me out because the odds of it happening are so slim. If I was going on some extended trip away from home, based on what you said, I'd bring the standard key with me as back-up.

Digital Key can be managed on the Hyundai owner's site. So if you lose your phone or key card they can be disabled. Assuming your phone is locked with some sort of security there's no way someone could use your Digital Key.
The card key will work if the car battery is dead?

I've had my car battery die on me twice with my old sonata. Once the headlights were somehow on while I was away for 3 weeks. The other time had no explanation, drove it around shopping, suddenly wouldnt start. Got a jump start, drove to a mechanic, battery tested bad. Maybe the battery was defective.

A phone can be stolen while unlocked. I once had my phone grabbed out of my hand by a kid on a bike while I was looking at google maps. While locked, it's probably pretty difficult. How secure is Hyundai's system as a whole from the car to the app to their backend? They are a car company, not a computer network company. How many vulnerabilities are there in this system? How long will Hyundai continue with updates (hopefully security updates) before they stop supporting?

Sure, all these things are extremely rare. I use my garage so often, I once, had my front door unlocked for a month and no one robbed me. But the one time youre stuck because your battery died or malfunctioned, or your phone got stolen/dies/malfunctions so you have no way to get into your car, etc it's a big headache.

With all this said, I currently have the feature enabled on my phone. I'll give it a few months and try leaving my keyfob at home once or twice and see how comfortable I am.

Is blulink required for the digital key? I suspect I wont want to start paying a monthly fee for it when the time comes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used it a couple times when I'm outside and don't want to go inside to get my key. I just use the phone or Key card. Haven't had to use it in any emergent situations.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My phone doesn't support the digital key and I'm too cheap to upgrade. My current phone was "free" after purchase with a gift card from Xfinity Mobile. I figure if and when I need a new phone I'll get one that's compatible with the digital key and wireless charger.
My digital key stays in the basket in our house with our other key fobs. I've only used it once or twice to see how it works. If I remember, it needed to be held against the door handle to unlock the car and placed just right in the wireless charger to start the vehicle. Pretty cool, but I can't do a remote start with it. I suppose I could give it to the service dept when taking in the vehicle, but I'm not confident they wouldn't lose it or know what to do with it. :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts