Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what situations people are using the smartphone key or digital key.

With the smartphone key, I just have this fear that my phone will be out of batteries one day or there might be some software glitch that locks me out.

With the card, I suppose I could put it in my wallet. Maybe my pocket will even line up to the door handle to unlock it. But I still need to take it out and put it on the charger to get the car to start. I would be afraid of forgetting it in my car. Or worse, if someone steals my wallet, they can now steal my car. It also doesnt have any of the features like opening the trunk, remote start, etc. Sometimes its nice to make the horn beep if you forget where you parked. At least the phone can do all this.

I have my house keys on my keyfob. I never use them because I get in through the garage, however if I ever need to get in and my exterior garage remote breaks, I still have an option. It also has my mailbox key so I can get my mail.

So I can't really think of any circumstance where I'd use it. Maybe I could give the card to a valet driver but that might confuse him. They also like having a key ring to hang the key.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have tried the Digital Key once to see how it works and it's ok. You have to press your phone against the door handle for it to work (at least I did). Then the phone has to be placed on the wireless charging pad to start the car- all in all its a nice idea if you forget your keys but I wouldn't use it on a daily basis, I find the key fob to be much more convenient and I just have to walk up and touch the handle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I like the idea of a backup incase I lose my keys or lock myself out. Other than that I can't think of any circumstance where I'd leave my keyfob at home in place of these two options.
Also, I wonder how secure it really is. More attack vectors is always higher risk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
i dont even know how it works. and i probably forgot where it is. before the dementia jokes start flying, there is a difference between not knowing where it is, and knowing where it is, but not knowing what it does.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont even know how it works. and i probably forgot where it is. before the dementia jokes start flying, there is a difference between not knowing where it is, and knowing where it is, but not knowing what it does.
Instead of using the keyfob, you can hold up the card or smart phone to the door handle to unlock the door.
To start the car, the card or smratphone needs to be where the wireless charger is.

I'm not sure how one locks the car with only the card. maybe you hold it up to the handle again.

That's it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
i dont see the logic. with the key fob, touch the inside of the door handle, and it unlocks. get inside, step on brake, press start, car starts. fob is still in my pocket. get out of car, touch outside of handle, system locks. i put the key card in the same category/place as the smaht pahk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use Digital Key exclusively. First, the back up should anything happen to your smartphone is carry the plastic Digital Key in your wallet. My routine is to pre-start the car using the My Hyundai app and then use my phone to gain entry. To enter the car I just tap my phone against the door handle (NFC) and then put it in the charger (NFC) and I'm good to go. I'll use the Digital Key app (Bluetooth) to remote start, unlock the car, or open the trunk at times. I just got a new phone that's not supported yet so I'm back to the traditional way. I personally like not having to carry keys and will go back to Digital Key as soon as I can.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Digital Key exclusively. First, the back up should anything happen to your smartphone is carry the plastic Digital Key in your wallet. My routine is to pre-start the car using the My Hyundai app and then use my phone to gain entry. To enter the car I just tap my phone against the door handle (NFC) and then put it in the charger (NFC) and I'm good to go. I'll use the Digital Key app (Bluetooth) to remote start, unlock the car, or open the trunk at times. I just got a new phone that's not supported yet so I'm back to the traditional way. I personally like not having to carry keys and will go back to Digital Key as soon as I can.
I could potentially see a savings in not carrying a keyfob since most people carry a phone everywhere and it is not a big deal to have the card in your wallet as a backup incase the phone runs out of batteries.

However, my house keys are attached to my keyfob. I never use them as I go in thru the garage but I still never leave my house without a house key incase of a power outage.
Yes, I could just carry my house key and not the keyfob but I feel like it is easier to lose just a key vs a key attached to a keyfob.

·
Registered
127 Posts
However, my house keys are attached to my keyfob. I never use them as I go in thru the garage but I still never leave my house without a house key incase of a power outage.
Yes, I could just carry my house key and not the keyfob but I feel like it is easier to lose just a key vs a key attached to a keyfob.
I have a Schlage smart lock that's tied to Samsung SmartThings so it locks and unlocks based on the proximity of my phone. My only key that's not smart is my mailbox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to use the app, but I cannot access it. Bought my SEL yesterday, and they told me Hyundai was having issues with their system. I tried today, and still has an issue with trying to activate Bluelink. So I guess I'll just wait ti tomorrow when employees go back to work and fix the problem...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how much I trust smart locks on my car let alone my home. Then again, the regular locks aren't exactly bulletproof either.
In any case, apparently my phone is not compatible with the digital key

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
26 Posts
I put the card in my wallet in case I forget to grab my keys on the way out. I had this happen just once and I was glad I had the card in my wallet. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max so I can't use my phone. I guess they are just not going to update the car to accept iPhones.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
178 Posts
I'm not sure how much I trust smart locks on my car let alone my home. Then again, the regular locks aren't exactly bulletproof either.
In any case, apparently my phone is not compatible with the digital key
I had the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ and the Digital Key app worked great. I updated in August to he Note 20 Ultra and the Digital Key app still has not been updated to allow compatibility with that phone. I enjoyed using it when I did not feel like retrieving my keys, whether it was just to unlock it or open the trunk. Obviously it is instant and therefore much faster than sending action requests through the MyHyundai app. I hope they get it updated soon, as it is getting a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Z Fold2 just got support. Go in to app info for the Digital Key app and clear storage. Then go through the sign-in and setup process again. If my phone's supported I'm sure the Note 20 which outsells it is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put the card in my wallet in case I forget to grab my keys on the way out. I had this happen just once and I was glad I had the card in my wallet. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max so I can't use my phone. I guess they are just not going to update the car to accept iPhones.
It's not the Hyundai, it's Apple. They only allow NFC for their products only.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
178 Posts
My Z Fold2 just got support. Go in to app info for the Digital Key app and clear storage. Then go through the sign-in and setup process again. If my phone's supported I'm sure the Note 20 which outsells it is.
Many thanks. I will try that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Worked like a charm. I'm ashamed. I'm well aware of situations that require this and should have tried it sooner. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
618 Posts
It's not the Hyundai, it's Apple. They only allow NFC for their products only.

If that were true, they wouldn’t have announced the ability to use your iPhone as a car key. It works with BMWs to start with. I’m sure other manufacturers will join eventually.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If that were true, they wouldn’t have announced the ability to use your iPhone as a car key. It works with BMWs to start with. I’m sure other manufacturers will join eventually.
Correct they just started doing that but the hold up was Apple. Like you said hopefully others will join.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pretty much use it exclusively. I keep the key as backup just in case my phone dies. I've had many one or two issues but that's about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts