Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few years ago i topped off the tank in my wife's Accent and had gas spill out....right after that we started getting the CEL regarding the charcoal canister/DMTL. Whenver the CEL comes on we scan it (to make sure its just that particular code and not something else) then just clear the code....We pretty much have ignored it as we can still fill up the tank just fine, but the smell of fuel has been bugging us as of late and I finally got a replacement charcoal canister.

I know basic car stuff. Can change oil, plugs, brakes, even done a valve cover gasket. How difficult is it to replace this canister? I know where its at but haven't actually gotten underneath to check everything out. Is it just a matter of removing some brackets and taking the hoses off the canister?

The link below has a diagram that seems helpful but I havent really seen a "step by step" guide on replace this thing. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.justanswer.com/car/18k4o-2002-hyundai-accent-code-p1401-fix-find-problem.html

·
Banned
532 Posts
Sign yourself up on www.hyundaitechinfo.com. It's a free site that has HMA repairs, details, TSB, manuals etc.

Heads up, it's Windows based, if you use FF/Safari/Chrome you may not see all of the details. In the mean time try this detail:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply "jdgorsky". I do already have an account there and check it out quite often...but don't really see much regarding removal/installation of the canister.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its very easy to replace. that exploded diagram is useful, but does not show location. with the rear end of the car jacked up, the charcoal canister is on the driver's side right by the rear wheel. its got a square cover over it, you can't miss it. its a couple bolts and a couple tubes. just don't mix up the tubing :p

also, you might be interested to know that it was the act of topping off the gas tank that killed your charcoal canister. its right in the owner's manual not to do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its very easy to replace. that exploded diagram is useful, but does not show location. with the rear end of the car jacked up, the charcoal canister is on the driver's side right by the rear wheel. its got a square cover over it, you can't miss it. its a couple bolts and a couple tubes. just don't mix up the tubing :p

also, you might be interested to know that it was the act of topping off the gas tank that killed your charcoal canister. its right in the owner's manual not to do this.
thanks for the message!

and yes, I'm well aware that is the reason why I have to replace it :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Most if the rusted clamps will be squeeze clamp style.

I prefer to switch to stainless steel gear clamps, better seal and you can remove if needed.

Metal evap tubing can be replaced with same diameter 0.80 per foot fuel line, if you run into corrosion problems.

I put di-electric grease on the canister electrical connections; high wash area potential.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts