Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my wits end. My 2011 is at the shop right now for a continued issue with not being able to fill it up consistently. IT can take me 15 minutes or more to fill it up as it keeps shutting off. They have changed the canister. Worked for one fill up. Spoke with the service manager that explained that it was the CA nosels line. It has happened in 4 states... Of course when they went to fill it up it worked perfectly so I don't know if they did something first or not. Any one else with issues? I am going to pick it up today to see what they say. Of course they will blame it on me. Sorry but I have had a license for 30 years not my first car. Now I am coming to you! Help!!!

·
22,788 Posts
Back the nozzle out an inch or so from the fill tube and squeeze the trigger, slowly at first. See if this makes a difference. Once in a while, Ill get one of those finicky nozzles. It happens, but not very often. When it does, doing the above stops it from recurring. For me, that is.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just had the same problem to day, I had to hold the handle upwards or it would shut off. 1st time this happen but I could see how bothersome that would be. Could be the station you use because I went to a diff station then normal. Good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
All, I had this problem when I first test-drove a Sonata. Turn the nozzle to the side after you insert it into your tank. It should fill up fine then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has been going on for over a year. I have gone to over a dozen different stations, I have tried lifting it up, backing it out, using the the slow first click etc....... It has happened in Nevada, New Mexico, CA and Arizona..... I am on hold for the service manager. Lets see what they say. I have had Hondas, BMW, Chevy trucks gas and diesel, Scion, etc.. Never have I had an issue putting gas into a car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Its very annoying when my tank is about empty and the pump clicks off every half gallon or so. I blame the boot\collar thingy around the nozzle-you know the thing that's supposed to keep the fumes contained?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
ONE cause can come from people topping off their gas tank. Modern vehicles have many emissions items, including at the fuel tank. When people top off, it fouls the system, usually the canister, and you get a bunch of problems.

Hoses are more sensitive now, mostly due to idiots who want to sue when they have an issue with a pump that they can't control. Some vehicles are born sensitive. Certain GM trucks were having constant issues. If having the issue, never do the fastest setting, actually hold the nozzle, and adjust depthinto the filler neck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the comments. What is past all of the obvious? It doesn't matter if I am holding it, putting it on the first setting or anything. I have adjusted, twisted, fast, slow, hand held, you name it. I don't even like driving it anymore because of it. Any thoughts past the obvious ?????? Filler neck...... tank sensor......

I have left the station with just enough fuel to get where I need to go because it is so frustrating. When I see a huge truck fill up their massive tank and I am still trying to get a few gallons in something is wrong. I never top off because of the canister.....

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Can only give you the obvious, since we don't have your vehicle here to inspect it. LOL. There's no sensor in the tank doing it. It is in the filler neck. The vent tube thing may have a clog, causing it to fill with fluid/vapor and tell the nozzle to shut off. You're going to pick it up today, hopefully it is fine; if not, take it back. Only thing I could suggest is something I wouldn't suggest, because once you screw with it, if you mess something up, it is now your wallet all the fixes come from.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
maybe the vapor tube is pinched? if all the obvious is not working...have to start troubleshooting...start eliminating possible causes.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Back the nozzle out an inch or so from the fill tube and squeeze the trigger, slowly at first. See if this makes a difference. Once in a while, Ill get one of those finicky nozzles. It happens, but not very often. When it does, doing the above stops it from recurring. For me, that is.
I agree with Rich...............this has worked well for me in the past.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2011 Sonata limited. They ended up replacing the tank IIRC.

When I took the car in , the dealer was already familiar with the problem. I think there may have been a TSB.

Ask your dealer to check, or call the Hyundai support folks. Chances are you may need that repair.

Once they replaced my tank, no further issue.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Where I put gas, some pumps are"faster" than others. I have had problems with the "fast" pumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a similar issue on my 2011 Sonata limited. They ended up replacing the tank IIRC.

When I took the car in , the dealer was already familiar with the problem. I think there may have been a TSB.

Ask your dealer to check, or call the Hyundai support folks. Chances are you may need that repair.

Once they replaced my tank, no further issue.
Thank you! Hyundai has actually opened an official case into this. So at least it is a step. I will have to drive the car and document every time I fill up and where and when, video etc.... To show them how and where it happens. They filled it without any problem at a Mobil station so that will be the first place I get gas. I will find a mobile near me and check it out.
I'l check back when I have more info now that I have to drive the car to use the fuel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does it make a diff if you are on empty or topping off a gal for 1/4 tank. Mine only does this when I tun it really low. Just a thought

·
22,788 Posts
Just out of curiosities sake, wouldn't this fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty? Assuming that you bought it new and you're under the mileage limit for the bumper-to-bumper segment. If so, why continue to deal with it? Let the dealer take it apart, rebuild it, service it, fix it, whatever they need to do to correct the problem. If the warranty doesn't apply, here, please disregard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts