Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Terracan 2.9CDTI that's done about 35,000 miles. I've been towing long distance on M/Ways and A-Roads, intermittently for a year with frequent local non-towing use. A couple of weeks ago, at the end of a 250 mile tow, it had sprayed some oil out the front seal of the rear differential. Cleaned it down and topped-up and watched for more leaks during warmed-up local, non-towing driving including some 10-20 mile M/Way drives. No more oil until a 10 mile tow when some small amount has come out.

Is there a differential casing vent that might be blocked or has the seal worn out? If the seal has gone, is it a difficult job to change it?

Can anyone shed any light please?

AdamP.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The seal has failed. Commonish problem.. But easy to replace. 10 minute job on a ramp..

Unbolt the propshaft from the Diff flange. Mark the fitting position before hand, and refit in same position.

Remove the 30mm nut from the Diff Flange, Pull the Flange of the splines.

Remove the old oil seal using a large flat screw driver or bar placed behind the old seal and lever it out. It will pop out fairly easily

Tap the new seal into place. Refit all parts as reverse of removal..

Check Diff oil level.

Job done..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Adam P

Have had the same problem on my 53 plate Terracan......3 times. Twice on the back diff and once on the front. Split pinion seals was the cause. Easy to replace but not being the mechanic type got my local garage to do it for £45.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My terracan had same problem accompanied by loud whining noise when I bought it. Took it back and the dealer had to buy a new diff etc 1200 quid plus fitting. If the oil gets low and not checked etc the bearings wear out and ouch. He asked for a contribution but then other things were wrong which |I am sorting out myself coz I cant keep going back to Todmorden, Lancs every weekend. Not happy.
Anyway best of luck, its not uncommon I believe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts